General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #1  
Chick! :)

S/C/G: 185/183/120

Height: 5 feet

Question Do you think it's alright for me to do the 1000 calorie diet?

(For tl;dr [too long, didn't read] version scroll to bottom)

Before you scream NOOOO! I know, your body goes into survival mode () and holds onto every calorie likes it's a life.
But let me tell you my deal.
I'm 13.
I weigh 185 pounds last time I checked (Two weeks ago)
My goal is to get down to 120-130 pounds or less.
So I planned my own special diet/exercise schedule.

I eat 1000 calories a day.
200 calories per eating (I'm trying to eat smaller meals throughout the day) I also try to vary my food. Somedays I'll eat more spinach and eggs for protein, and other days I'll eat more wheat bread for my grains.

And I try and burn 200-400 calories a day, so I created my exercise schedule. I wanted to target my stomach and thighs.

So for my stomach I do:
Curl ups
Laugh (Laughing for a good two minutes burns about 200 calories, did you know that?)
And purposly convulse my stomach (Not to puke or anything)

For my legs:

QUADRICEPS:
I do lunges

INNER LEG:
I do leg lifts

I often play basketball and tennis. Sometimes I play Capture the Flag at school or my friends and I get together and make our own version.

(FYI I have different exercises for each body part, I just put my favorites down)

TL;DR VERSION:
I'm 13, weigh 185 lbs. I want to get down to less than 130. I try to do a variety of exercises. I try to eat 1,000 calories a day. I am a relatively active girl, but I still am considered obese. I also do other sports like karate, basketball, and tennis.

Do you think I should do this?
Old 07-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/140/120

Height: 5'2"

You're 13... if you want to stunt further growth (such as height, hair, later life diseases...) then go ahead. BUT ideally you need those 1200 healthy calories. Make up the 200 calorie difference in veggies . Good job on the work out routine, I just may copy that... how many sets do you do?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #3  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

If you haven't had a good talk with your doctor or a nutritionist, I think you would find it useful. Good work on developing an active lifestyle.

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 07-02-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #4  

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingfor120 View Post
You're 13... if you want to stunt further growth (such as height, hair, later life diseases...) then go ahead. BUT ideally you need those 1200 healthy calories. Make up the 200 calorie difference in veggies . Good job on the work out routine, I just may copy that... how many sets do you do?
Good idea about making it up in veggies
And sets? For each I do about 20, for most of them. For the ones that require to do separate sets, like the leg lifts I do 20 for each leg. If that helps
Old 07-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Bless you for being determined and enthusiastic, but no, sweetie, that's way too low. Look at this calorie calculator, and go for the "fat loss" version, which I make to be about 1800 or more, rather than the "extreme fat loss" version. Remember that it's much better to start higher than you need and drop calories later if it turns out to be necessary, rather than to start too low, feel ill, get hungry, end up bingeing, get discouraged and give up on the whole thing. The amount of running around you probably do at school alone will require a good few hundred calories, plus additional exercise.

For context, I'm 33, 4'11, very inactive indeed (housebound and often bedbound from severe disability), weigh a fair bit less than you (the more you weigh, the more calories you need), and I'm eating 1100. I'm losing steadily at 1lb/week and I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll be able to keep it off, though I know the maintenance stage is harder. Slow and steady really is the way to go for successful dieting, no matter how much we're bombarded with adverts for miracle crash diets.

Instead of diving into a highly restrictive diet, why don't you start with food journalling for a week and see what sort of patterns emerge. Getting to know your weak points is always a useful start. For instance, I developed a bad habit of snacking after waking up from a siesta, even though the hunger I get after a nap doesn't actually last long.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #6  

I did go for food journaling for about a month because of my mood. My mood did incline for a while. But then it declined, causing me to overeat, which got me to where I am now. Obese and very unhappy. So I did edit my diet. It made me feel better, not having to cram light food into 24 hours. Thanks for everyone's help
Old 07-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

@nutty...I wish I were as smart as you when I was 13! And I wish I had somewhere to go to get good advice back then. I read over what you already are doing and I think you've made some really great choices. Good for you!

The average human female at her optimum weight needs 130 gm of carbohydrate, 54 gm of protein and about 23 gm of fat everyday just to maintain body function. That's rock bottom. You're still growing, so don't cheat yourself of the right nutrients. Not getting the proper nutrition right now will affect you for the rest of your life.

What's cool about how old you are now is that your body totally wants to build more muscles. And the muscle fibers you grow now will be with you forever. The other thing that's important to know about your body is making your bones strong now helps you when you're old. And the best way to do that is with activities that involve jumping and running. The exercise was a great decision on your part. You picked good ones! Keep that up! You might want to add planks to your effort. They are way more effective than crunches. http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm Do a Google search to find different plank positions that address different parts of your core. Your core is more than just your abs, so working on your entire core helps everything, posture, strength and stability.

Right now, you're going to need the protein to feed that muscle growth. Not tons of it, because that's not healthy either. Don't go over 80 gm a day. And when you eat more protein, you need more fruits and veggies to balance out the acid in your system from the protein. You're not big, so you don't need more than five or six servings of veggies and a couple from fruits everyday. Eat a big variety of them all to get all the right nutrients. Eat cooked veggies (broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts) to get nutrients like calcium (for those bones), and raw veggies (spinach, carrots, salad greens, peppers) for even more nutrients. Eat the fruits to get more vit. C, plus they help keep you from craving sugar.

I'm not sure about recommending dairy products. I don't believe in having a lot of dairy. I try to get most of my vitamins and minerals from the fruit and veggies I eat. But I do still like cheese and yogurt. I don't believe in low-fat or fat-free stuff either. The less processed the better!

Another part of you that's still developing is your endocrine system and your brain. And those need fats! Fats are not evil! Well, some are, the kind that come in shortening and transfats. All the fast food places still use the bad fats. Frying in fat just isn't healthy. I know it tastes good, so once in awhile is ok. But get healthy sources of fats in your life. Like tree nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts), seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame), healthy oils (olive oil, safflower and sunflower) and avocados. Your hair will look great and so will your skin. Butter is tasty, but keep it to a minimum. Don't do margarine!

With regards to your caloric intake, I would concentrate on getting enough of the protein, veggies, fruit and healthy fats. Your current BMR is somewhere around 1650 calories, what you need to take in to maintain your current weight. But you've got growth spurts coming up and you're going to lean out even if you just maintain that intake. All your girly parts haven't fully developed. Allow yourself to grow and fully develop! If you're worried about the extra layers of fat, then how about cutting specific food groups first, like soda, fruit juices, milk, processed foods and fast foods (I don't know if you're eating that stuff now). Those foods aren't helping you at all! And you might choose to cut some total calories one or two days a week, like on days when you're not exercising or aren't so active. But I wouldn't go under 1200 calories at this point in your life.

One more thing...don't let the scale or comparing yourself to other girls tell you how healthy you are. You know how you feel. When you feel strong, you know it. When you feel sick to your stomach, you know it. If your eating and exercise patterns cause you to feel sick or weak, then your body is telling you not to do that any more. Listen to and respect your body!

Good luck with your efforts! Let us know how you're doing!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #8  

Wow, thank you for all the information. I didn't realise planks would be so hard. I used to do them all the time, except we called them earthquakes, haha. Ah, I guess not doing something after a while really knocks it down/sarcasm. lol
Old 07-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I crash dieted throughout my childhood and teens (I've been dieting since I was put on my first diet in kindergarten), and I would definitely NOT recommend it.

There are so many reasons why. It messes with your head. You start thinking that eating is bad and not eating is good. You start losing energy so you're tired more often and don't feel like doing active things you used to enjoy. You start doing less, which means you need fewer calories, so your weight loss starts to slow down. Since you feel too tired to do more exercise, you think your only alternative is to eat even less. It becomes a very vicious cycle. I really can't stress how horrible it was for me and how hard it was to get off the crash dieting rollercoaster.

Literally, and I mean this sincerely, if I could change only one thing about my life, it would be to have learned to diet more sensibly, more health-consciously in my teens and pre-teens. I wish I had been focused on getting healthier and more active and athletic rather than getting weight off as quickly as possible, by any means I could.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #10  

I was a little skeptical about burning 200 calories in two minutes laughing (it sounded great if true!). But alas, too good to be true.

Quote:
While the idea that we can melt our waistlines by laughing is an appealing one, we better not cancel our gym memberships just yet. Laughing for 15 minutes a day (and not necessarily all at once) burns somewhere between 10 and 40 calories a day [source: Buchowski]. That means that, so long as you're laughing, you can eat three -- maybe even four -- unsalted crackers without any guilt whatsoever.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Are you reallu 13 ? You sound like a much older person.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I think you have a lot of the right ideas but serious restriction in the end will only hinder weight loss. I remember when I was younger I would do crazy stuff like only eat 500 calories but it would be total garbage, like a bag of ritz crackers, or I'd skip days of eating and then totally binge. The result was that I am still struggling with my weight today. You are young and active and I think if you focus on healthy choices for every meal you will see the results you are looking for.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #13  

You have gotten some really good advice and that is what you really need right now. I am a nurse and have teenage daughters so I really tried to find out what my girls need most. One piece of advice I do not agree with is the post about cutting out milk. Most teenage girls are VERY deficient in Calcium, and while milk is not the only way to get calcium, it is more easily absorbed than most supplements. If you like milk, try skim. If you cant stand the taste, try 1%. But under NO CIRCUMSTANCE should you do 1000 calories a day!!!! See if your doctor can recommend a good nutritionist, and have a very honest talk with her/him. Also, you dont say how tall you are. I know some 13 year olds that are 5'9" or higher, and obviously they NEED to weigh more than someone who is 5'2". The most important thing here is to be HEALTHY NOT SKINNY!! Dont screw up your metabolism or you will pay for it the remainder of your life! Good luck sweetie, and keep us informed how things are going.

Last edited by loloi2; 07-27-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The OP has not been back online since she posted this so I'll close the thread. Good advice in here - I hope she does come back and read it.
Closed Thread