Old 07-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #31

Good morning ladies. It is still a bit cooler this morning but it is going to be hot again today. We can't seem to get under 90 degrees here.

I am back to knitting. I still have some shoulder pain, but it is a lot less than it was. I put a pillow under my left arm and that seem to have helped a great deal so I can knit now. I have Susan's, Jean's and half of Gail's slippers finished so I am rolling along. I am anxious to see what they look like when felted because they look a lot different felted than as regular knitting. I need to get to Joann's and get some cute buttons for all of yours and my girlfriend's pair and the other pair I did. Maybe I can do that sometime this long weekend.

I guess I didn't tell you that the mayor backed off the holiday pay thing and sent out this lie of a letter to the employees and to the media saying he felt that maybe it was too much of a burden to do it that way so was giving the employees a straight 4.6% pay cut. Truth is, the union has a signed contract that was signed by him before the budget was even finished that says so holiday or regular pay cuts. They are taking him to court I guess as he is still going to cut pay. If we have to go that route at least now I can adjust my budget. The sad thing is that 50 people lost their jobs yesterday and none of them are white collar workers of course. None of his cronies got axed either.

Maggie: Thanks for the offer, but I have read all the Jack Reacher character books and I am trying to keep from having actual books accumulate as we have no where to put them. I am putting everything on my Iphone that I read as Amazon stores them for me after they are read. I like the Mickey Hailer character as much as I do the Harry Bosch character of Michael Connelly's. I also like Robert B Parker's Spenser novels (though he passed away late last year so there will be no more of those) and Stuart Woods Stone Barrington characters except that his novels have him in bed with some woman more than anything else anymore so I quit reading them. I am a huge fan of DicK Francsis who passed away a year or so ago. I think his son is going to write his books now as they collaberated on his last two before he died. He was in his 90's I think though when he passed away. I am a fan of character books and read Sue Grafton's books, Janet Evanovich's books, Sara Paretsky, Edna Buchannan and I could go on and on. Oh and I love J D Robb's "In Death" series which if you don't know is a female detective set in the future New York and they are really good.

Jean: Michael Connelly books are considered mystery/thrillers and I have to say out of the bazillion authors I read, he has yet to get boring and rehash plots. He does bring in previous books but as a reference point not because he can't think of anything new to write like a lot of authors do. If you like novels that lead you on a red herring chase you will like him. I can almost always pick out the killer by the middle of the book, but he throws you a curve all the time and it usually isn't who you come to expect. His writing is top notch and if you can, go to www.michaelconnelly.com and look at his books link and read them in order either his lawyer character or his polic detective character and a couple of the later ones bleed into each other, which was fun. They won't let Jack have it all done close together because it lowers his resistance to infection too much so they have to be done one at a time and his hand replacement needs at least 12 weeks. He doesn't know what the schatski's ring surgery would cost him, but his knee surgery will almost wipe out all his saved sick time.

Susan: That is exactly why I do because I tend to lean forward in the chair as I knit. I don't know why I didn't think of it before as I used to put a pillow under my left arm, which is my knitting, and throwing hand when I had the old recliner. It lifts that arm up just enough to keep from putting stress on that back muscle and the arm and elbow and wrist. I keep telling him we just need to cut him off at the neck 'cause for the most part, the head is still good! He told me the other day he wasn't too sure about the head anymore. Poor guy is at the point in his life where he just wants to retire and stay home. He has 4 years to go and he is just worn out. You know in our parents generations and before folks retired when they were around 40-45 with a full pension to live on. Now folks have to work until they drop dead to have enough money to live on. If he hadn't had two full careers each with a partial pension, he would have to keep working. We will still lose about $1000 a month with the medicare adjustment over our premium insurance and the pension only funding 35% of his finally salary for the year he retires.

Gail: I hope this weekend you will be able to do something fun or get to enjoy the grandkids or something!!! Can't wait to finish all you gals slippers and ship them to you.

Have a good weekend all of you. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! I almost posted on the previous thread because it was first in line. It's a beautiful morning in my corner of the world -- a cool 75 degrees and sunny. I hope the "cool" lasts over the weekend. I never made it to the store yesterday so that is next on my list. Will have a couple loads of laundry to finish also.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you are able to knit again. Just don't overdo and aggravate the pain. It will be interesting to see how the city lawsuit pans out in court. I'm surprised the mayor can make the paycut decision on his own, or does he have the city council behind him? I did look up Michael Connelly after I posted yesterday. I will have to look and see if his books are in our library. I used to buy lots of paperback but they are so expensive and I got tired of looking at my "read" pile. They all went to the SOS store so someone else could enjoy them.

I need to get a move on and get going. Bob went to the office to finish some paperwork and Ernie is taking his morning nap. Have a great and safe weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Warm Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is now 84 fixin' to get up into the 90's this day which is much cooler than it has been here in the Heartland. Will is out fixing the door frame so he can install the new storm screen door with doggie door in it. There is a pannel that can be slid down over the doggie swinging door to keep the dogs from going outside if we choose. The door just doesn't quite fit in the sapce to make it nice and snug when it is shut. I am so blessed that he is handy that way and we don't have to pay the big do re me for a handy man come and do that work.

I have the chili verde cooking in the crock pot as I type and we will be having that for dinner. I am so fed up with the tortillas that we can buy. If they taste good they are way too high in points. I found a recipe on line that is for flour tortillas that are only 2 points+ each and are really good. I don't make them very often though. Homemade are so much better than store bought. Will wanted to know why I didn't have an electric tortilla press since it is so much work to roll each one out. Well, I went on line to look for one of the "best" and it was out of stock at my favorite Chefs Catalogue. However, I found one at a place called Pleasant Hill Grain, Fine Kitchen Equipment. It will press and cook tortillas, pita bread and any kind of flat bread you want to bake. There are quite a few different models on the market but I did my research and wanted the “best.” Life is good. It is called the CucinaPro Tortilla Press. I also have an old WW recipe for flour tortillas that are 3P+ and one from them for corn that is 1p+. I also have a recipe that has corn and flour in the same recipe for 3P+. I like to keep the points as low as possible and have them still taste good and not break when you roll or fold them over. I don't eat much bread at all but when I do eat it I want it to be real good and worth the points+ I am spending. I have known tortilla since I was a wee little tot. You can wrap most any food up in a tortilla. I know, I know another appliance. Now I have to find a home for it. But I will, believe me I will. Breakfast burritos. I make them with beaters.

DONNA FAYE I knew you would find a way to be comfortable so you could knit. Can't keep a good gal down. You are really coming along like gang busters with those slippers. The thread will all have "happy feet." Reading is good for a person ~ keeps your mind active. "They say" you should learn at least 3 new things each day. I try to do that. Whatching a progam last evening on survival I learned more than 3 things in a half hour.

JEAN Did you ask me a question that I didn't answer yet? Maybe on the last thread. I can't remember. Have they started with the fireworks out there yet. Here ~ last night we had a light show we could wee out of our big plate glass window in the front room. Wonder if they saved anything for the 4th. You can bet they did. We will see and hear "stuff" till then and afterwards. I went back and re-read your post on the earlier thread and the answer is we have pot-luck on the 3rd Sunday of the month.

HELLO Susan and Gail.

Time for me to start some glass works. I have to finish up what I have cut out before I order my supplies to do my lamp. That's just the way of it with me. Type at y'all later. Have a great weekend and stay safe.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-02-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #4  

Maggie -- How do the dogs like their new door? I'll bet Beanie is just like a little kid, in and out, in and out. Won't he be surprised when you lock it and it won't work for him. I learned something new today! I didn't know there was such a thing as a tortilla press! You will have fun with your new toy! That is nice to have your pot lucks on a set schedule so people can plan for them. There were fire crackers of some sort the other night. People along the lake will set them off over the weekend. I feel sorry for the animals as I'm sure they wonder what is going on. My dryer is set to go off so need to hang some clothes.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #5  

Good morning all! Boy it is really humid this morning. I let Fortune out at 3 and it was sticky even then. I have to go out in a couple hours to Target and get a few things and I am taking my multiple slippers and getting their buttons today! I only have one slipper of Maggie's left then they are all finished being knit and I can felt them!!!!! I think the colors are great but I am excited what they will look like felted.

My shoulder's a bit sore this morning but I fell asleep in the recliner last night watching a movie and probably laid on it wrong. It is no where near what it was feeling like though. I have adjusted myself for knitting and I think that did help a lot. I can't believe I didn't remember I had to do that with our other recliner too. Ahh well.

Jean: A lot of states have banned fireworks including city displays and such because of the drought. The southwest is really fearful of what is going to happen this weekend. They have forced firework places to close and remain closed but you know people if they want them they will get them. I hope they give them a big fat fine if they catch them, better than houses going up in flames. When we lived in South Bend we used to go to Don Pablos restaurant and they had a mexican woman that all she did was stand and make tortillas and she had more of a pasta machine looking thing. They had great tortillas though. In the southwest they give them to you with butter instead of bread. When I married Jack and that happened the first time I thought it was so odd, but then I thought everything was odd and it was for me, houses covered in chicken wire then plastered over, flat top roofed houses with the ac units on the roof, sand everywhere, snakes, kangaroo rats, buzzards you name it and I saw it for the first time in my life. Do you remember an old cartoon about these two buzzards that were really stupid? They would sit on a tree branch or electrical line and talk about zooming down to pick off food but they were really lazy so they just sat there. Anyway right after Jack and I married we went to New Mexico so I could meet his parents. They lived way out in the dessert and you drove a dirt road to get there. I saw these two buzzards sitting on an electrical line and started giggling because it reminded me of those stupid buzzards in the cartoon. They are one ugly bird though and creepy.

Maggie: I know Fortune would never use a doggy door. He will not even walk around close spaces let alone push his way through a doggy door. I bet the boys will enjoy it. Hope you enjoyed your breakfast. I had toast and canteloupe. Jack eats cereal every morning. I don't know how he doesn't get bored with it, but then my grandfather never wavered from having 2 pieces of buttered toast with my grandma's homemade strawberry preserves and half a grapefruit with coffee. He had that every morning no matter what.

Well I guess I had better go and get my chores done so I can get showered and dressed. Have a good day all. Faye
Old 07-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Warm Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is not supposed to get over 97 this day which is a change in the Heartland. It has been a hot last week. The highest day so far in the weeks forecast is tomorrow which is said to be 102. However, that is subject to change as the day draws nearer and they put out a new forecast. I broke 3 nails during the night and had to do some major trimming of the other ones. The breaks are not on the growth part but back a ways so I use a piece of a tea bag and glue to secure the nail till it grows out where I can cut it off close once again. They will just have to be real short for awhile. Work better for my doing glass works anyway. That doggie door is so neat. It isn't one piece but 3 pieces of plexiglass that are hinged together so it is easy for a dog just to bump it a bit and it lets him out. Not heavy at all. One of our friends has been out of town and had a person water her garden while she was gone. Well the person didn't give the tomatoes enough water and her plants died. I told her not to fret for we will have plenty of tomatoes to share and give away. She said if we gave her some of the extras she would make us salsa and can it in jars. She makes some great salsa so I told her she would be getting all of our extras. We bought a couple of fly swaters and wouldn't you know it I can't find that fly that was buzzing me yesterday. I don't remember getting any flys in the house last year. We went out to eat at Whiskey Creek today and I had one of their "diet" meals. I was pleased to see that half the plate was filled with steamed broccoli which I squeezrd lemon over. There was a butterflied chicken breast that had been baked then lines burned on it sitting on a bed of rice. A green salad of spinach leaves, argula, purple onion rings and grape tomatoes ~ without the crutons and cheese ~ served with ff ranch on the side. I am calling it 10p+ because they only gave stats for cal, fat & fib. I ran what I ate though my program and that is what I came up with plus added a few points due to the fact I really don't know what was on that chicken or in the rice to make it taste so good. The calorie count gave me a clue it may have been butter. It was quite filling and tasted great and I didn't leave the place feeling stuffed plus it fit nicely in my program. They have other program friendly offerings on their menu that I will be trying in future visits.

DONNA FAYE OH ~ please do knit me another slipper so I don't have to hop around on one foot. Or maybe that would make me qualified for a job at I-Hop. I bet your little one could use a doggie door like this one for it is so easy to open ~ just lean on it a little or a little push with his nose or paw. If he leaned on it he just may roll out on the porch. That is just the vision I saw in my minds eye. I sure like it for it is clear and easy opening. They can see what is out there before going out. I do remember those Heckle and Jeckle cartoons with those two black crows. They were a hoot. Hope your aches and pains have lessened this day some more.

JEAN They make a simple tortilla press that you put a ball of dough in and then manually squeeze it together. Mine will have a better lever with which to squeeze it together then it will bake it also for it is electric. I can mix the dough up in my bread machine. Life is good. Hope your weather is being kind to you this day.

Hello SUSAN & GAIL Hope this day is sunny and bright for you and all is going well.

Type at y'all later.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #7  

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!

We are supposed to get rain here today so of course I took two steaks out of the freezer and put them in the fridge to cook outdoors today. We are going to have roasted garlic and parmesan asparagus with it and a baked potato.

Happy dance, I am down 4 lbs this week!!

I am going to finish up Maggie's slipper so she won't have one warm foot and one cold and work on the sock I guess or start a new pair. I am waiting for more yarn to finish the one for my girlfriend.

Jack is way ahead of me as he has already eaten breakfast. He is going to shampoo carpets this morning so I guess I need to get going so I can help him move furniture and whatnot.

Maggie: Fortune would never go up to the door and even nudge it with his head. If there is something in his way or if somewhere he wants to get to has something in front of it, he will whine until we move it. He is afraid to squeeze through or whatever the situation is. If his elephant is up against something he sometimes won't go and get it. I don't know why he is like that but he is so he would never try and open a doggy door no matter how easy unfortunately. He never did take to the doggy stairs next to our bed and we finally gave the expensive things to Kelly to let Marty use.

I stayed up too late last night watch U571 with Jack. Good movie, but then I couldn't go to sleep. I stayed downstairs and slept in the recliner as I didn't want to disturb Jack with the dog and such. He got me up at 4 because he wanted to go out then eat so I am kind of pooped. A nap may be in order for me today.

I hope you all have a fun 4th. They were shooting off stuff for about 3 hours here last night. Always makes me nervous with the condos all close together and the trees and stuff so heavy here, but nothing I can do. Besides, it scares Fortune to death. Poor little thing had to go to the bathroom and he was too scared to go out back last night. Talk to you tomorrow! Faye

Last edited by gma22; 07-04-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #8  

Happy 4th of July, ladies! Big doings in Williamsburg today. It's headed for 92 and we have an air quality alert so you know I'll be inside.

Saturday I worked at WW and then went on to Bella's Belles after that. Yesterday I got a few things done. Father Mike hooked me up with a teenager to come 1 afternoon a week to do vacuuming and moping and whatever I find too hard being on crutches. It'll give her a little money and I won't have to worry about the chores.

I've have been sewing just fine thanks to the Start/Stop button that let's me sew without the foot control. I'm really loving this machine. It really pays to read the manual that comes with things.

I happened onto a new website that has lots of free healthy recipes, diet reviews, and free ecookbooks you can download. http://www.favediets.com/
There are a couple of copy cat recipe booklets that I want to download.

Faye, it sounds like Fortune wants to be absolutely sure everything is safe before he jumps in ... kind of a good way to be but you miss out on a lot, too.

Maggie, is Beanie running his legs off in and out the doggie door? Pets sure can be entertaining.

Jean, hope you get a little time to relax while you are at the lake.

Gail, those days are counting down until you FIL goes home!

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking MONDAY ~ JULY 4th

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS HAPPY & Safe 4th

It is going to be over 100 this day and that is a fact. Our tomato plants are losing their blossoms at the top edge of the plants but the ones down further are still intact. Just too much heat for them even though we are keeping them watered. We are just doing the best we can. Can't ask for any better than that. I did lose a pound at weigh in this day so that is good for me going in the right direction. I made the best biscuit thingies to eat with the chili verde last evening and they are a definite do again. I will put the recipe here for you so you can make them if you wish.

MOZZARELLA CHEESE BURSTS
3 Points+ each

1 (12oz) can Phillsbury Grands Jr Golden Layers
3 oz mozzarella cheese, cut in ¾" into 10 cubes
¼ cup chopped green onions
1 Tbsp butter, melted
¼ tsp fennel seed

Heat oven to 400º
Separate dough into 10 biscuits
Partially separate each into 2 layers
Insert 1 cheese cube & 1 tsp onion
Place on ungreased cookie sheet
Press edges to seal well
Cut a deep X on top
Brush each with butter
Sprinkle with fennel seed

Bake 7 – 11 minutes or until light golden brown
Serves 10
Protein 4; Carb 12; Fat 6; Fib 0

I will see how they reheat after being frozen. This is the first time I made them and Will absolutely wants them again. So do I. I think they would be good with any kind of soup, pasta, chili and stew also. Like I said, I don't eat much bread and when I do it has to be "special."

There is a big enough gap between the closet doors and the floor that Benies little tennis balls can scoot under. He makes a racket trying to get them out and has such a game out of it. Keeps him busy for awhile. Then he comes over to me and then looks back at the closet letting me know it is time for me to get up and open that door so he can retrieve his ball. I need to check the freezer and get to thawing what we want to grill this day. I know there is some corn on the cob in there and that will be good. Always good on the grill. Haven't decided to do chicken or beef or pork this day. Dogs are asleep now on the floor in here. They like to be where they will know when I will get up and go in a different room. Life is good.

DONNA FAYE You are down 4 big ones! : you go girlfriend. On down the road to thin. That asparagus sounds yummy. Some folks have been shooting of lots of fireworks for the last two days here. Bothers Ragg Mopp and he sticks like glue close to me. Doesn't phase Beanie. He is a bash on regardless type of dog.

SUSAN Thank you so much for sharing that web site. I clicked and went there and I will revisit and capture some of the free good for program recipes for sure. I am always on a look-out for a good recipe. How nice that you will have a gal assist you in your cleaning while you are in that brace. Don't you just hate it when you see housework that needs to be done and you can't do it. Will is so good to do the laundry and when I awoke this day I saw the basket on a chair in the bedroom full of clean undies and sox. Before I opened the door and had the dogs rush in I dumped the basket on the bed and folded it all and put it away. If the dogs come in when I am doing that they want to frolic in the clothing and mess up my piles. I am so thankful that Will does the laundry is what this is all about. Sometimes we just need help don't we.

JEAN & GAIL Hope your day is sunny and bright and you are having a good time of it.

I am off to get some meat out of the freezer to bbq this day and see about what we are having for lunch or brunch. Type at y'all later. Be safe now.

I was goofing around looking up things today and stumbled across this site that has a ton of WW information on it. Worth a look see ~ http://stormpc.com/ww/

Last edited by Maggie; 07-04-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers! We are home once again and all is quiet here. The fireworks are scheduled for tonight on our lake which is so dumb since most people headed for home before dark!! There was no traffic coming home and usually it is bumper to bumper. I'm assuming the fireworks were last night here. I know some were going off Friday night when I was getting ready for bed. We had a nice time at the lake; it wasn't too hot nor too windy. MIL would have had a fit about the lack of organized meal time; her idea was meat, veggies, salad, dessert, etc., at regular times. We tend to grill meat and then fill in the gaps with what others bring. The little kids like to come in when they are hungry regardless of what time it is. We adults eat on more of a schedule and try to corral the others when we finish. Anyhow, there is always food of some sort "out" and available. I didn't sleep very well last night so am looking forward to my own bed tonight.

"Gma" -- on losing 4#s this week! I do remember the buzzard cartoon!

Maggie -- to you on losing another pound! I've never heard of fixing a nail with a tea bag. How does that work? Thanks for sharing your recipe and the web site.

Susan -- I'm glad you have someone to help you with some of your chores around the house. I can't imagine how clutzy I would be on crutches. Watching the kids at school speed down the halls on them amazed me. Thanks for sharing the diet site. I'm going to check on both of them when I finish here.

I need to sort through and dump unwanted emails. I can't believe how fast the Spam folder fills up! Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It is just about 11:30 here and folks in the neighborhood have not run out of fireworks. It is amazing how many they all have since they are not cheap ones. Big fill up the sky kind. I have found some very neat low point items to make in my new to be soon delivered tortilla press of various kinds of flat breads besides tortillas. There is a good sounding Naan bread which is from India in one of the WW cookbooks which is 3 P+ that is good. It used to be 2P but with the new system it gained a point . Every time I look up a new recipe to try in one of my old WW books I first check on the points value and change it in my book. Some of the recipes for that same type of bread I have found count upward to 6 and 8 points+ per piece so I am happy WW Momentum program edition cook book already has it lightened.

JEANI am glad to hear you had such a lovely time at the lake. Why would they shoot up the main fireworks display on a day other than the 4th I wonder. Out our back since our house sits higher than the college a ways away where they set off the fireworks tonight we could see them nice and clearly. The ones around the neighborhood are still going off and it is now 11:50.

Now about the tea bag as a mending agent:
I cut open a tea bag and then dump the contents in the trash. I use the paper by cutting a tiny piece that fits over the break and a tad bit around it then glue it on with some clear multi-purpose cement called "Bond 527" then polish over it with clear polish. I could also use my tube of E-6000 which works well also which is flexible, paintable, waterproof, non-flammable and safe for photographs. (I have these cements in the cabinet with my glass works tools.) The patch usually works until the break has grown out to the tip of the finger and I keep cutting the nail back till that time comes, which is pretty quick with my nails. Tea bags are the same material that some nail mending sheets I used to have were made of in years past. works for me.

Have a restful nights sleep all you lovely Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-05-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all. We are going to have a very stormy week this week and boy is it humid. Humidity is 96% right now and it isn't raining yet. i just hope Jack gets to work inside the rest of this week.

It is so sad here. On Sunday night the police responded to a domestic call at the Doubletree hotel in downtown Memphis. This is a very nice hotel not some dive and isn't very far from the famed Peabody hotel. Anyway, the guy killed the boyfriend of his ex girlfriend I believe came out into the stairwell and put a bullet in the head of a Memphis police officer coming up the stairwell. The man has two little kids, his son James is only 8 but of course old enough to know what is going on and I guess is having a really tough time. Thankfully, he has both grandfathers to help him as he was major close to his dad. His poor wife is holding up pretty well even though today would have been their 9th wedding anniversary. Sometimes frankly, I just hate living here, but we are where we are supposed to be so we deal with it. The violence here has become so bad. Yesterday or the day before they shot up an suv and in doing so put 3 bullets through someone's apartment and barely missed a killing a baby.

Jean: Glad you had a nice time at the lake. We just stayed in and Jack cooked us a couple steaks and we had a baked potato and some garlic and parmesan roasted asparagus and some strawberry shortcake for dessert. Believe it or not all on pts too! lol Of course, we are using the old pts system but still.

Susan: Oh I am so glad your priest found you a bit of help for awhile. I know some chores would be near impossible to do. Isn't it great your new sewing machine has a way for you to sew without using your leg. Jack has about 8 weeks until his surgery. We sat down and figured out how much to budget for all his rehab appts, dr appts, and clinic copay. Sheesh with him going to rehab 2-3 times a week and about 4 dr appts along with the copay and add in his yearly cardiology appt and he is going to his regular dr the beginning of next month it sure adds up. Tack on the fact he is losing pay with the pay cut and I had to do some wiggling with our budget. I still have to get the other slipper of Maggie's done today. I sat and read a book most of yesterday.

Maggie: Thanks for the great tip on fixing a broken nail like that. I will have to remember that even though I have acryllic nails, I take them off every three or four months and give my nails a "rest" and sometimes do tear my own nails in the process so it is good to know how to fix them. Sounds like you have some nice recipes to have fun with.

Gail: Hope your holiday went well.

Today is clean the upstairs bathrooms day and Jack and I have committed to getting on the treadmill now. I need to build up leg strength and walking strength now that a lot of the swelling has finally gone down in my feet and legs. They still puff up at night but not nearly like they did.

You gals have a good Tuesday. Faye
Old 07-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 97 degrees hot this morning expected to get up to 102 this afternoon. Needless to say all we are doing outside is making sure the garden has enough water. The fireworks went on till midnight last night and I do believe they used them all up for the year. It is neat that the folks around here near go all out for that holiday. What is our next holiday ~ It's Labor Day in September isn't it. I think we don't have anymore till then. What I will celebrate till then are the cooler temps we get now and then. Ragg Mopp wouldn't go out back last night at all while the noise from the fireworks was going on. AH but at 2 am he wanted out. Will got up and let him out then came back to bed and low and behold Ole Ragg used the doggie door to get back in. Life is good. I slept through all of that for I was sleeping soundly and it didn't even wake me up. I don't have a clue what I want to make for dinner this day. Sometimes I just don't want to think about it but I it seems I always decide by the time it is to thaw something out. When Will gets back from picking up the First Responders bag, for he is "on call" the next few days, I will ask hime what he wants for dinner. Usually he doesn't have a clue and will eat what I fix but I always ask anyway. Sometimes he does surprise me. I am still drinking my first cup of coffee this day so I am not fully awake ~ that's my excuse and I am sticking to it. So far I have made the bed and put that room all in order. That is something. I'll be jazzed when that new dresser scarf arrives. I have a couple crochet covered throw pillows I'll toss on the bed that will tie it all in nicely. I have the big crochet pillow cases over the backs of our recliners in the front room that look nice in there draped on the backs. All my crochet items are of the natural color. I have some white cloth table napkins that have some white crochet in one corner that are real pretty. Kinda Victorian like. My table cloth is a huge crochet oval thing. I have several other sizes also. I always like to know where they were made.

I saw a program last night that made me cringe. Most of the folks that make a lot things don't get paid enough for the work they are "forced" to do. I never realized there was so much of that going on around the world. I knew it was going on but not to the level it has gotten to. The folks (little children) that pick the cocoa pods are the worst treated. Chocolate. There is a place out in CA that makes sure it buys it's supplies from a plant that does not use slave labor to produce the products he buys for his business. If I ever buy chocolates for a gift I will be buying from him. I never buy "knock offs" from the internet. When I buy something it comes from a reputable store and not on e-bay where the thiefs fence a lot of their ill-gotten gains. Just trying to do my part and try my best to not buy the stolen merchandise.

DONNA FAYE That was a very sad thing that happend in Memphus. I heard about that on the news last night. How do you know that you are "where you are supposed to be?" I do have a lot of recipes. Yep and I do have fun with them. I like to make things that are different than I have made before and can tell if we will like it by reading the recipe. Times are rough everywhere. I heard on the news that the middle aged folks that got laid off may not ever get their jobs back. What a shock for some folks who are not prepared nor have made plans for retirement yet. I feel so sorry for those folks. Those who have jobs should be ever so thankful and hang on to them tightly. Aren't you so thankful that Jack has a job. OH the treadmill. Hope you have success on it. I can't use one but I can walk .

Good day to all you other Magnolias out there and I will type at y'all later.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's very humid here this afternoon, and the sun is shining after a rain shower this morning. Thunderstorms are supposed to move in this evening. I hope that is wrong! I had a quiet morning in the gift shop until it was time for me to leave. A teacher's wife came in wanting to return some jewelry; I know we only give credit but wasn't sure how to do it. I did enjoy visiting with her. She ended up finding some other things which totaled more than her returned item so that messed up my register as far as having the right amount of $5s, $1s, and change. The volunteer director came to my rescue but I was late leaving. When I got to church the treasurer had her fanny parked at the computer I need to use so will go back later this afternoon. It's not like I don't have anything to do around here, but there's no point in starting something and have to leave in the middle of it.

"Gma" -- I don't mind the heat so much but the high humidity really bothers me. That is so sad about the police officer being killed. I know they "love" what they do, but the danger is so huge. When we moved to Cleveland in 1972, the newspaper said they figured there was one and a half murders per day there. I never shared that with my parents. You keep track of all of your medical bills for tax purposes, don't you? How long do you leave your acrylic nails off? I just read an article this morning about them being so hurtful to natural nails. My nails are paper thin and just simply won't grow, so I figure I can't hurt them any more.

Maggie -- Sounds like it is going to be another hot day for you! My guess is the fireworks being held on the 3rd was taking into consideration that people traveling wouldn't stick around for the 4th and/or not staying out late because of working the next day. They don't start until 10:30 up at Okoboji. We have fireworks over the Labor Day weekend, on Sunday night. Thanks for explaining the tea bag fix for a nail.

Susan -- Is today a work day for you, and/or exercise day? I hope it is not so hot and humid if you are out and about.

Gail -- How was your weekend? Good, I hope!

Guess I will put a load of laundry in and put the luggage away. Hope you all are having a good day today!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The temp here in the Heartland has risen to 105 as I type. We just got back from getting me a latte and Will coffee then running around the country in our Jeep then stopping at the store. He made quick dashes in so the dogs and I didn't suffer in the heat nor run the temp up in the Jeep using the air conditioner. First off when we were getting coffee one of the gals that works there was saying that yesterday her little 2 year old girl that is cuter than a button was playing with a friends cell phone and like she was texting then talking in it. When we left there I told Will he should stop at the dollar store and see if they had any play cell phones. They did so we went back and went to the drive up window and asked for her and she was blown away when Will handed her that toy phone. We love to do that to folks. Random acts of kindness sure puts a smile on folks faces. Earlier in the day before our going out and about after lunch ~ Will had been to the office store and ordered him a different desk chair since the other one he had was cutting off the circulation in his legs after sitting in it for an hour or so. They delivered it between our getting our coffee and then going out and about. When he had been in the office store earlier he got me a ger-prize. A 6 inch tall ceramic rooster painted up brightly and on its back in the tail area is inbedded a magnet so the bag of colorfull paperclips stick there looking like nice big tail feathers. It is so cute standing on my desk. They just traded the chairs. Didn't charge him for anything. The one they took away wasn't very old and they said they would sell it as used. Such a deal. Life is good.

JEAN Yep they have always said those acrilic nails are not good for a person but folks like to use them anyway and have for years and years. I know I would use them if mine didn't grow so straight and strong. Mine aren't super thick but just thick enough for me. When I was younger and went to the Beauty College to have my hair done they always wanted to mess with my nails. Said I had perfect nail beds to support the acrilic ones but I wouldn't let them. Just said to polish my own. Oh but they wanted to do mine to get credit for it at the school. I was just blessed with these nails when I was born ~ good nail jeans. My mother & great and great-great aunts nails all looked like mine. So good nails go way back in my family on my mothers side. My mothers are still nice and she is now in her 90's and doing well. I am with you about starting something and have to leave in the middle of it. Oh bother, it is hard to get back into where you left it.

Here is something that has crossed my desk I thought you gals would like to read:

WON'T is a word of rebellion.
MIGHT is a word of mediocrity.
CAN'T is a word of defeat and fear.
OUGHT is a word of duty.
TRY is a word of little faith.
MAYBE is a word of procrastination.
WILL is a word of courage.
CAN is a word of power & determination.
DOING is a word of progress & fulfillment.

Have a great evening Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-05-2011 at 05:17 PM.