General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Default FOODSAVER VACUUM anyone use one

My husband wants one of those food saver Vacuum. Does anyone have one. If so what make and model, and do you like it.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 193.2/188.0/145

Height: 5'4"

Mine is several years old and a discontinued model, but still works great and I use it all the time. Great for buying in bulk at Costco and then making my own portions for the freezer. The bags are reusable too! The new ones have way more options than mine does and they even cost less now. Go for it!
KatRustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #3  
Results>Reasons

S/C/G: 196/190/150

Height: 5'9"

Yes, I bought a Rival vacuum sealer at Walmart. Had it for about 1 month, used it maybe 20 times, and the dang heat strip that seals the bags is broken in a section of the strip, because it skips that section when sealing, so air comes in/escapes....I regret not going with the Foodsaver one at Costco.
AriesNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

I just talked to my cousin and she has 2 ! I know when they go fishing they freeze a lot of their fish. She also said she uses it about once a month. It's just her and her husband so they can freeze a lot of food.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I love my Foodsaver! I have a pretty cheap one, no bells or whistles, I think it got it at Kohl's or JC Penney. I really only use it for freezing meat. Since it's just me, even a small package of meat is too much. I ended up buying a small freestanding freezer so I had room to store all my vacuum packed meat!

I suggest buying the premade bags. You can buy a roll of bag material cheaper, and make your own bags, but the seal doesn't hold as well as the ready-made bags. The bags are washable and reusable - they last a long time.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #6  
Miss October

S/C/G: 153/116.2/120

Height: 5'2"

I had purchased one for preserving my veggies from my garden last year, but the one that I received did not work. I've heard great reviews, but opted out of getting a replacement. The one bag I was able to seal successfully broke it's seal about a month into being frozen. I think it's probably luck of the draw! I love the idea though and am glad to hear others have had good luck with it.
CorinneIrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I have a Food Saver that I bought for preserving food. I use it a lot in the fall to vacuum seal jars of dehydrated veggies and fruits. It's a great cheap way to store all my dried stuff. I also buy dried goods in bulk then break into smaller jars and seal. The best part is the jars are just jars I have leftover. I like peanut butter jars for apple rings and salsa jars for peppers, zucchini & other veggies.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote