Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default *** July Chat ***

New month again. Did June go extra-fast? I set myself a five pound goal for the month and actually managed to lose six pounds. I imagine it would have been more if I'd kept up going to the gym although I think being so active outside with garden and village planting helped. BGL was up and down but nothing too horrendous.

This month seems plugged with BBQs, picnics, the Fair, visitors and other celebrations but I am pretty sure I can cope. I will be going for bloodwork soon and we'll see how the HA1C and cholesterol are looking. I know my blood pressure is in control now.

My goal for this month is to drop into the low 170s and to sleep past 5 A.M. Wish me luck.

Do you have some targets for this lovely full summer month?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning

I can't believe that it is July! How fast the time goes.....

fbs at 84 this morning. I ate my favorite breakfast of mango flavored greek yogurt. It is amazingly filling. I hope to have a good day of physical activity in the yard after I take care of some work stuff.

Today I have one of my most pleasant yearly tasks at work. Each year people from the U.S. and Europe are selected for an exchange program for professionals called the Marshall Fellows. A friend of mine went to Europe on this program a few years ago. Now, each year, a group comes to Montana. The tour and luncheon at my facility is always a highlight of their trip. I have several employees who are from American Samoa and we are known for our wonderful barbque. The fellows are also very interesting and civic minded people and they are so much fun to spend time with. Tomorrow they are representing 6 different countries and they are really important, national people in their world. I can't wait. I love to tell them the story of my building and talk to them about juvenile justice in America. It will be a highlight! And, of course, I am really ready for some amazing barbque

Ruth, those sound like really good goals for the month of July. I am so impressed with the way that your weight just keeps slipping down. I also have my major blood work this month. I am hoping for a good A1C, but I am really hoping for good cholesterol numbers. I may have to start a medication if it is not better. I am hoping that my weight loss is bringing that under control.

Well, I better get moving here!

Have a great day

Rie
Old 07-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #3  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Hello all,
I am new to this thread, but not to 3FC. Please read my bio above...
I have been struggling to do consistently well at controlling my carb consumption. The problem with good AIC results is that they show how well you have done overall, but they do not show that some days you have highs. I have gone through a long period of not being very good, and still having good AIC results, if that makes sense. I need a place to make myself more accountable with people who know what the struggle means, so I have come here.
I have a friend who runs a dyalisis center at a hospital, and she put the side-effects of uncontrolled diabetes in very real terms and scared the "bleep" out of me. I am only 57 and want to live a long, complication-free life. I have long been the queen of denial about lots of things, diabetes just being one of them.

I have not told anyone at work because I am afraid of the stigma, or of being perceived as weak, and a potential layoff person...

I deny my DX to the insurance company everytime they call wanting enroll me in their "maintenance" program out of fear they will cut off my insurance...

I have absolutely forbidden my husband to tell my MIL about my DX because she has hounded me for years to lose weight because her mother died from complications of diabetes...

And I am an abuse and breast cancer survivor and have some very poor coping strategies; one of them being overeating under stress and emotional upheaval...

That's about as honest as I can get about why I am here.

I am also worried about how public this forum is, whether someone can dig for, and sell any information here to my insurance company, for example?

Rei-your weight loss ticker looks fantastic. You may have been at it for a while, and don't feel how awesome it is, but from my standpoint, it is amazing!

Ruth-congratulations on your six-pound weight loss! Sleep past 5 AM! You go, Ruth!

My goal for the month is to kick butt at Adtkins induction and have a good weight loss by the first of August!

Sheri

Last edited by Quixotica; 07-01-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #4  
Becoming.

S/C/G: 282/266.1/165

Height: 5'3

I logged into my user cp and was wondering why June chat wasn't showing... haha. It's JULY already! wow.

This month is going to be a big test after big test for me. I have a lot going on with my best friend's wedding... and all the parties that come along with that. And the parties for another friend's wedding that is coming up in August.

I suppose I should get around to setting a WL goal for the month... I haven't actually started exercising at all. Hmm... maybe my goal will be the exercising... and if I lose, I lose... and start an official WL goal in August. At that point I will have been eating right for a couple months, exercising for a month and had my metformin and diabetes education classes as well.

It's SO HOT here today. We have a heat advisory. Supposed to be 102 and muggy muggy muggy. Thank goodness for the sweet sin of air conditioning.

Let's make this a great month!

Kari
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everyone,

HAPPY CANADA DAY to all our Canadian Friends!!!!

New month and new beginnings. I'm going to try to stick around here even with all the busy busy things coming up around here. I think I need to keep me focused on doing what is right for my blood sugar. Boy getting off during vacation in may seems to have spilled over into June for me. I made it through June with my FBS readings swinging all over the place. Regardless of things I've heard and read I think I have to eat less carbs. I also read recently that the thyroid may not be functioning correctly even though tests may show them to be normal. They say it can cause a lot of problems and also may cause the diabetes and also make it difficult to lose weight. So I plan to talk to the doc about it when I see him in a few weeks. I don't think I can do low carb as strict as Atkins Induction any more, however, I do think I can do a little more of a type of SBD. I like the idea of eating low carb without counting the carbs or calories.

Ruth Congratulations on the 6 lb loss. I wish you luck with your goals this month. I noticed on my calendar this morning that y'all celebrate Canada Day today and then Respect Canada Day a few weeks later. So I understand how this could be a challanging month foodwise, but I'm sure you'll do well.

Rie Sounds like your job is very rewarding for you. I think it is wonderful when a person can have a job they enjoy as you do.

Kari Sounds like your going to be as busy as I am this month. Weddings are more fun though than cleaning and rearranging things for a house full to move in. The heat is really something this year. Doesn't usually bother me so much. Although we haven't had 100s, we do seem to have a lot warnings about the bad quality of air for those who have problems with the heat.

Sheri Welcome to this thread! I too have been through the denial stage. From what I've read, many of us go through that part of it. I also understand that it's just part of coming to grips with the situation. Good luck with Atkins Induction. It is really a good plan for getting control. I did it last year, but just couldn't stick with it.

Well, it turns out that we will be going to pick up DH SIL at the airport Wednesday and he will be here 2 nights and go back home Friday. He has an interview for a job up here and would start in the middle of August. Gives them time to get moved in up here and get settled. So a very busy weekend to prepare for his arrival. I have to admit that it will be nice when the kids get up here although challenging. It will be fun to have them around for these holiday celebrations. I have really missed that.

Y'all have a great Canada Day/4th of July weekend!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #6  

Hello Everyone!

To my Canadian friends: Happy Canada Day! To my US friends: Happy 4th!

As I expected, I had an amazing time today with my guests. I splurged on a little potato salad and fruit pizza along with the fresh salads and chicken. My bs was only 106 an hour later and 105 2 hours later. No spike. I was back down to fbs of 94 before supper tonight. I was so pleased!

Patti, I was so pleased to see your post. I didn't expect to "see" you for a while! For what it is worth, my son and grandson eat the same way that I do and without complaints or concerns. My son buys treats for gs that I am not fond of, but he is actually quite happy eating healthy. I hope that you will consider involving your whole family in a healthy eating plan when they get there. You might be surprised - it might be easier and more enjoyable for everyone than you think.

Kari, it sounds like you will have some challenges as far as parties comming up. You can do it. Remember, the most important tool is not deprivation but moderation!

Sheri, thanks for the kind words. I am sorry that you are struggling. Is the "maintenance" program for diabetes? I understand about the A1C issue. My dad is diabetic and he consistently registers average A1C on a terrible diet. It worries me but I have to let it be his decision.

I guess my question is: how can we help you? I know that we all follow different plans here. Our friend Fatmad is on atkins (I think), Ruth does South Beach, I do my own plan that is moderate carb. I guess that I would encourage you to try and post every day and just be honest with yourself and us how you are doing.

I understand your concerns about telling people. I was diagnosed last fall and I have still not told all my family members or some friends. I just felt vulnerable and I needed to find my own way. I am not sure about your insurance company. It seems to me that the most important thing is for you to try to get more comfortable and confident in your ability to take care of yourself. My endo is a really kind man. When I was diagnosed I spent 2 hours crying in his office. He told me that this wasn't something that I "deserved" for being fat. Diabetes hits people who are thin as well. For me, I think my diagnosis is going to help me to live much longer. I probably would have had a heart attack before I reached 60 the way I was going.....

If Atkins is your choice, you can do it. Please let us know what you are doing and feel free to vent here or seek advice.

Ruth, I hope you are having a good day.

Fatmad, I keep thinking of you and I hope you are enjoying your adventures!

TTL
Rie
Old 07-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

Fly-by post. Celebrated Canada Day last night watching fireworks and sipping champagne out on the Big Rideau Lake. It was fun but I'm feeling a tad burnt out today! BGL is fine but weight is up a bit - probably from munching salted peanuts. They are addictive! Back on track today.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #8  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default Back from Holidays

Hello everyone, I am home from South Africa safe and healthy and happy. I got in yesterday, and actually slept a bit on the long plane flight (15 hours of flight, I got about 7 hours of sleep I think. ) and stayed up until about 9 last night and slept til 6. I am sure I will have a few problems with the jet lag in the next week, but will try to stay on a reasonable schedule.
Lets see, where to start? The hardest part in Durban was that it is winter in the southern hemisphere, and while it didn't get terribly cold there, it does get dark about 5 pm. Given that we we inside for meetings all day, I didn't sleep well or adjust to the time change well without sunlight etc to give me cues. THe meetings went well, and we won the bid to host the international congress in 6 years in Toronto, ( lobbying for this was a part of my job for the 1st 4 days) and now I am on the planning committee. But exercise was really hard, as we couldn't walk after dark, (not safe) and the hotel gym was not very inviting, and the pools are not heated, so were too cold for swimming. We did bathe in the sea in the mornings when we could get up though.
I ate fairly well, but eating out all the time is hard, and I didn't always have control of what I ate, so was higher carb than I am used to. I worked on calorie counting, to some degree, but have gained some weight, and will be working to bring it down.
The last week of course was the best part, when my friend Anne and I went on safari. This involved getting up before dawn (and very cold in African terms) and getting in an open jeep and driving around to view wild animals. I loved it. after about 3 hours, we come back to camp for breakfast, laze around all day, then go back out about 1.5 hrs before sunset at 5 pm, and come back at 7 for supper and an early bedtime. I loved it, got amazing photos, and enjoyed the people enormously. If anyone has a chance to go to Africa for any reason, do find a way to do some nature touring, it is wonderful.
So now am home, time to get back to work, regular walking and yoga, and eating better.
fbs today was 4.7, and I will do an a1c next week and see my doc on wednesday.
I will have to take some time to catch up on posts, internet was quite patchy, and I had to pay for time, so just used it to email home and no time for much else.
thanks for thinking of me while gone, I sure missed my friends!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #9  

Just a quick fly by this morning! fbs is up a little at 99 this morning - a little high since I had a low carb evening. Maybe earlier yesterday?? IDK.

This morning a friend is comming with a pickup to help me haul stuff to the dump. I have been cleaning out stuff and getting rid of things in my house for months and it needs to go. This afternoon I will be grilling out with friends and their children at the local fishing pond. I have the chicken marinating and lots of veggies prepped. It should be a nice time.

Fatmad! Welcome back. Sounds like a lovely trip. We missed you.

Rie
Old 07-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #10  

Height: 5'2"

Busy weekend coming up to celebrate the 4th. My SIL flew in from IN yesterday and it was great to see her. Today we are spending the day with my parents, tomorrow going to the inlaws with my DHs sisters and families. Should be about 25 of including all the new babies! I love when we all get together. Then on the 4th going to my nephews (with the whole clan again) and all their friends for food and fireworks. I hope I don't overdo it. My fbs is getting lower. I find if I eat a cheesestick around 11 it is lower in the morning so I have been trying to do that. Wishing everyone a great day!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #11  

Just wanted to do a small post. I had a really nice barbque. Maybe a little too carby but not really bad. However, I forgot to take my evening meds and didn't remember until almost 2 hours later:-(. My bs was 128. It is almost NEVER over 100. I am really upset with myself. I am hoping the metformin will bring me in line quickly. I can't believe I did this.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #12  

Hello All

I was feeling down earlier (my earlier post) these are pictures of me at last year's barbque and today. Each day is a new day of challenges. Sometimes the day goes well and sometimes it doesn't - my journey continues.

Rie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july 3 last year.jpg (41.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg barbque this year.jpg (33.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Oy! Very low BGL at 2.7 this morning. Just had some ww toast with honey and some cheese to bring it up. I guess a grilled cheese sandwich and some strawberries was a poor choice for dinner last night but I was not hungry. I'll make better choices today.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #14  
Becoming.

S/C/G: 282/266.1/165

Height: 5'3

So I've been eating better for 13 days and on the Metformin for 6. My (apple shape) belly has already gone down. I put my jeans on yesterday and I didn't have to suck it in to get them buttoned. My friends also commented they could tell.

I had 2 major WINS yesterday. I had to drive up to Rochester, MN to get my maid of honor dress fitted for my best friend's wedding on July 23. I always stop at Arbys and this time I didn't. We also had a party last night and everyone was SUPER drunk. I did not have ANY alcohol. I had a virgin frozen strawberry and splenda daquiri and water.

Very proud of myself.

Tomorrow I start a morning Metformin pill. Still worried I don't eat enough for breakfast and that I'm going to have some side effects of the ramp up.

Have a great day!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #15  

Just a quick fly by....

Ruth, scary! I hope that you are better. Are those "rebound" lows? It seems like a grilled cheese and some strawberries would be carby enough to hold you. Or, maybe, is it the fasting time between your supper and breakfast that is too long? hmmmmm.

Gothic, good job on resisting the fast food and alcohol.

Just wanted to report: This morning I went on a 2 mile walk. Not as much as some folks but a lot on this arthritic knee. It was one of my goals for the summer.

I will be back later!

Rie

Last edited by Riemontana; 07-03-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Closed Thread