General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #1  

Default Intuitive Eating #14

Here we go again. Eat when hungry, stop when satisfied.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #2  

Why is it always so hard to get people on to the new thread?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #3  

Thought this was interesting from Health.

Yes, You Can Eat Sugar

Sick of hearing about all the negatives of eating sweets? Well, if you're active, a little sugar can actually be beneficial, according to a new report.
"Sipping a sports drink with a small amount of fructose" -a simple sugar- "gives athletes energy and helps combat dehydration," says Richard J. Johnson, MD, professor of medicine at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical campus in Denver and coauthor of the study. That's true whether you're a marathon runner, a zumba fan, or and avid walker.
Not only does sugar help you handle your workout better, the reverse also seems to be true: Exercise can help you better metabolize sugar, reversing your risk of obesity and diseases like type 2 diabetes,which some scientists have linked to excessive sugar consumption. "The more exercise you do, the better your vascular function," Dr. Johnson says. "You develop high levels of nitric oxide and reduce uric acid in the blood, which can make you better at resisting some of sugar's negative effects."
Bottom Line: Dr. Johnson recommends sticking to no more than 25 to 35 gm of fructose a day, along with exercise. There are about 22 gm in a can of cola, 9 in a small cupcake, 8 in a sports drink, and 6 to 8 in a serving of fruit.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Thanks again for sharing that info Carolr DH was surprised when the doctor diagnosed me with diabetes 2 that he told him that I didn't have to give up sugar completely... he said for example that I could have ice cream in place of a meal if I wanted to. Saw a man in the store the other day who said that he doctor told him to just go easy on the sugar. I 4 eat dark chocolate kisses everyday at the end of my meal.

I wrote on the old #13 IE thread because I didn't take time to read on there until just now because I've been to busy to come to 3fc for several days.

I mainly wanted let y'all know I hadn't forgotten y'all. With all that is going on around here deciding what to do about Tony's DD and her family (were we going to move there or them here) then I spent time finding out info on schools and what they needed to transfer up here. I have really been busy and with them moving in with us so the kids can start school here things do promise to get busier than usual. I may not be here real often, but have decided that I get so much good stuff here that I plan to make a special effort to check in here at the IE thread as often as possible.

Becky I too go through the same thing about low carbing, but I'm just not willing to go that strict. Besides when the kids move in, I won't be able to do a strict low carb. I think I can limit my starchy carbs, but I don't like the idea of cutting them out completely. Would I do better on low carb? Yes, the fasting blood glucose would be so much better, I'm just not willing to make that strict a change. I've toyed with the idea of South Beach Diet but I don't think it is healthy or necessary to go as low as they do on the fat. Of course, I don't think it is healthy to eat as much fat as a lot of people do on other low carb plans. JMHO

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-29-2011 at 06:19 PM.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #5  

Another interesting article from Yahoo news.

Think you're making a healthier choice when you reach for diet soda instead of a sugary soft drink? Think again.

Diet soft drinks may have minimal calories, but they can still have a major impact on your waistline, according to two studies presented at a meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

Researchers at the Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio tracked 474 people, all 65 to 74 years old, for nearly a decade, measuring the subjects' height, weight, waist circumference, and diet soft drink intake every 3.6 years. The waists of those who drank diet soft drinks grew 70 percent more than those who avoided the artificially sweetened stuff; people who drank two or more servings a day had waist-circumference increases that were five times larger than non-diet-soda consumers.

The findings are in line with those of a 2005 study, also conducted by researchers at the Texas Health Science Center, in which the chance of becoming overweight or obese increased with every diet soda consumed.

“On average, for each diet soft drink our participants drank per day, they were 65 percent more likely to become overweight during the next seven to eight years, and 41 percent more likely to become obese,” said Sharon Fowler, who was a faculty associate in the division of clinical epidemiology in the Health Science Center’s department of medicine at the time.

But how does something with no calories cause weight gain? Turns out that even if our taste buds can't tell the difference between real and fake sugar, our brains can. Another study, also presented at the American Diabetes Association meeting on Sunday, found that after three months of eating food laced with aspartame (which is also found in many diet soft drinks), mice had higher blood sugar levels than rodents who ate regular food. According to Fowler, who worked on all three studies and is now a researcher at UT Health Science Center at San Diego, the aspartame could trigger the appetite but do nothing to satisfy it. That could interfere with your body's ability to tell when you're full—and could lead you to eat more in general.

It happens in humans, too. A 2008 study found that women who drank water sweetened with sugar and water sweetened with Splenda couldn't taste a difference, but functional MRI scans showed that their brains' reward center responded to real sugar "more completely" than it did to the artificial sweetener.

"Your senses tell you there's something sweet that you're tasting, but your brain tells you, 'actually, it's not as much of a reward as I expected,'" Dr. Martin P. Paulus, a professor of psychiatry at the University of California San Diego and one of the authors of the study, told the Huffington Post. So you chase that no-calorie soda with something more caloric, like a salty snack. The sweet taste could also trigger your body to produce insulin, which blocks your ability to burn fat.

Aside from the health problems that go along with a widening waistline, diet soft drinks have also been linked to an increase in diabetes, heart attack, and stroke. One study of more than 2,500 people found that those "who drank diet soda daily had a 61 percent increased risk of cardiovascular events compared to those who drank no soda, even when accounting for smoking, physical activity, alcohol consumption and calories consumed per day," ABC News reported in February. And a 2008 University of Minnesota study of nearly 10,000 adults ages 45 to 64 found that drinking a single can of diet soda a day led to a 34 percent higher risk of developing metabolic syndrome, a collection of health problems that includes high blood sugar, high cholesterol, and high levels of belly fat.

"Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you," writes Katherine Zeratsky, a nutritionist at the Mayo Clinic. "The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer."

"Some types of diet soda are even fortified with vitamins and minerals," she added. "But diet soda isn't a health drink or a silver bullet for weight loss."
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #6  

Trish, you are going to be one busy woman.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #7  

Quote:
DH was surprised when the doctor diagnosed me with diabetes 2 that he told him that I didn't have to give up sugar completely... he said for example that I could have ice cream in place of a meal if I wanted to.
That's what I did last night!! I can't believe you said that.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, ladies...

Trish, I agree with you that it's not necessary to restrict fat like South Beach does, and like we've been taught for so many years. I've done so much research into low carb that I just don't think fat is bad. (Trans-fats are, but not "real" fats, such as on meat, butter, etc.) I did South Beach for several days once, but couldn't stick to that either.

I'm with you. Do I know that low carb would be better for my health? Yup! Can I stick to it? Nope! (I don't like meat, so that's a strike against me right off the bat.)

I read about your family members moving in with you. Trusting the Lord is right! My brother moved in with us "temporarily" five years ago, and will probably share our house permanently. My dh's son moved in two years ago, and I doubt he'll be able to afford a different place on his own either.

It has required some changes and ongoing adaptation on all our parts. Most days I enjoy having them here. Some days I wish they'd move out.

For the most part, the arrangement works. The thing I miss the most is the large room I used to use as my art studio, but I manage.

As the economy continues to go downhill, I think a lot more families are going to end up moving under one roof. We're just on the cutting edge of the trend, right? I wish you all well with it. I know the huge amounts of work it requires before family members can move in.

On the eating front, my dh is disgusted with his weight too, so we're going to work on cutting back our portions together.

At first I thought I might track in Spark People, but I did it yesterday and realized it just continues the diet mentality for me, so I'm going to leave that alone.

My dh is lucky: he can make up his mind to eat tiny portions, does it, and loses the weight easily.

I struggle for every ounce I lose.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carolr Intereting article. Makes you wonder if we have just been brainwashed into thinking the diet stuff is better for us. humm. I don't drink cold drinks most of the time. I have been drinking green tea with Stevia lately. I usually have water with lemon and whatever sweetner they have which usually is Sweet'n Low. May have to switch to just drinking water.

Becky I too have heard that more and more families are going to have to move in together. I'm going to love having the grandchildren here, but will be an adjustment since we haven't lived around them in about 5 yrs. The kids are excited about having the enclosed back porch to do things in. I have already told them that is Nannie's space for quite time. I told them that they can be out there with me but there will be one period of time each day that they will have to respect my need for quiet time. Will I get it? We'll see. Only need about 30 minutes a day. May have to let them know that Nannie isn't a nice person without her quiet "time out". LOL

Got a call from DD this morning. Her hubby had a call yesterday for a job he had applied for there. When he explained the situation, the lady said she had a really good friend at the company up here in this area. She called her friend and DSIL has an interview next week for a job at the office up here. Hopefully he will have a job waiting for him when he gets moved up here in August. He will be coming in next Wednesday to spend the night and go for the interview.

I read on line about how to test thyroid with a thermometer for 3 mornings in a row and average. I will start that in the morning. I did it this morning, but wasn't sure how long I did it. It says to leave thermometer under arm for 15 minutes then read to see what the temp is. If it is 97.5 or less your thyroid probably isn't functioning properly. My Daddy got the results of his blood work yesterday and the doc had to up his prescription. I have a lot of the symptoms chronic fatigue and some weakness at times, difficulty losing weight and gain easily, coarse dry hair, dry skin, irritability and sometimes experience muscle cramps. I'm thinking that I need to be taking thyroid meds although the regular test shows all is normal.

Well, I'm going to take a nap. Then I need to wash and get organized so I can start getting things ready for those moving in. I washed everything upstairs the last time the kids were here. I will have to go up and wax furniture and touch up the bathroom so it will be clean when DSIL comes up next week. I'm thinking the plan is for them to move in up here August 1, however, he gets hired with this job that could change and it could happen sooner.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #10  

What an adventure, Trish! I'm still tired from the wedding and this weekend we go to Chicago for DIL's baby shower........she's due July 22nd.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #11  

More from Yahoo news.

Over the past several decades Americans have steadily gotten fatter. Although our increasingly sedentary lifestyles are partly to blame, a big reason for our national weight gain is that we're simply eating more.

In the mid-2000s, government surveys show, the average American adult ate about 2,375 calories per day, nearly one-third more than he (or she) did in the late 1970s. What accounts for all those added calories?

According to a new study, the biggest single contributor to the sharp rise in calorie intake has been the number of snacks and meals people eat per day. Over the past 30-odd years, the study found, Americans have gone from consuming 3.8 snacks and meals per day to 4.9, on average—a 29 percent increase.

The average portion size has increased, too, but only by about 12 percent. And, surprisingly, the average number of calories per 1-gram serving of food (known as "energy density") actually declined slightly over that period, which suggests that calorie-rich food has played a relatively minor role in our expanding waistlines.

"The real reason we seem to be eating more [calories] is we're eating often," says the lead author of the study, Barry Popkin, Ph.D., a professor of nutrition at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. "The frequency of eating is probably, for the average overweight adult, becoming a huge issue."

Popkin blames food advertising and other marketing for the shift from three square meals a day to near-constant eating.

"It's all about making people think they want to have something in their hands all the time," he says. "Why are we snacking all the time and munching all the time? [Food] is there, it's available all the time, it's tasty. It's not very healthy, but it's tasty. It's sweet, it's salty, it's fatty—it's all the things we love."

Lisa Young, Ph.D., an adjunct professor of nutrition at New York University and the author of The Portion Teller, agrees that the ubiquity of snack foods has helped drive overeating.

"You never used to see food staring you in the face when you went to…a drugstore," says Young, who was not involved in the new research. "It's in your face and it's cheap. You go get a magazine, you can get a candy bar."

To tease apart how eating habits have shaped calorie intake, Popkin and a coauthor analyzed data from four nationally representative food surveys conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention between 1977 and 2006. Their analysis, which appears in the June issue of the journal PLoS Medicine, was funded in part by the National Institutes of Health.

The findings weren't entirely unexpected. In a previous study, Popkin and his coauthor found that the amount of time between snacks and meals has shrunk substantially since 1977, while the amount of calories consumed from snacks has risen dramatically.

Christopher Gardner, PhD, the director of nutrition studies at Stanford University's Prevention Research Center, in Palo Alto, Calif., says that although the new findings ring true, the survey-based approach Popkin and his colleague used has some inherent limitations.

Despite being nationally representative, the surveys didn't follow the same individuals over time, and in some cases also used different questions and methods, Gardner points out. Moreover, they relied on the participants' memory of what they'd eaten in the previous 24 hours, which can be unreliable.

"When people try to describe the portion sizes they are consuming, they are often inaccurate," Gardner says, adding that similar inaccuracies may crop up when recalling and calculating the energy density of specific foods. In fact, he says, the number of meals and snacks may be easiest of all to remember and track, which may have somewhat exaggerated its importance to total calorie intake.

But Gardner, too, says that frequent—and often mindless—snacking has come to seem normal.

In our food-filled environment, Young says, "We need to be conscious of when we eat, how much we eat, and what we eat."

Young recommends sticking with three meals a day and choosing healthy snacks (such as fruits and vegetables) rather than processed foods. "And keep your portions in check," she says.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #12  

Carol, that article about portions and frequent eating is so true, at least in our house.

I know I've gotten into the very bad habit of using a snack as a "bridge" between activities, or as a quick break when I get stuck on a project I'm working on.

I don't think a lot of us pay attention any more to when we're REALLY hungry, and I think a lot of that comes from dieting.

Example: when I was in Weight Watchers and knew I was supposed to "eat all the food" for the day in order to lose. They didn't really say anything about eating if you were hungry. It just seemed like something people talked about a lot: make sure you eat ALL the food or you won't lose as well. (I was never able to stick with WW long enough at a time to learn whether that was true or not, but my mother told me it was.)

It's the same thing for water bottles or coffee drinks. Nowadays people don't go anywhere without their water bottle or coffee cup. It never used to be like that. When I was growing up, we never saw anybody carrying a cup or bottle of anything around with them. These days, nobody gives it a second thought. I even see people drinking coffee during church service!

I wonder what would happen if we went back to eating regular meals, and cut out nearly all of the snacking we do? Maybe we'd lose some weight almost effortlessly.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #13  

Trish, it sounds like it's going to be an adventure having your daughter and her family move in for awhile. What a blessing to get to enjoy your grandchildren right under your roof! I think they'll respect your quiet time.

I've been hypothyroid for over ten years now, and we STILL haven't gotten my thyroid replacement optimized. That's part of why I struggle so much with my weight, but at the same time, I know that a lot of people hear "thyroid problem" and think it's just an excuse for laziness in trying to get the weight off.

I hope you find some answers to your symptoms.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #14  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Ding! ding! ding! I think that is major for me. There's hunger and then there's hunger. I think we fall into the trap of thinking that we NEED to eat whenever we're hungry. However, I've found that if I don't snack, but wait til the next meal, it tastes sooo much better. "Hunger makes the best sauce", as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
Carol, that article about portions and frequent eating is so true, at least in our house.

I know I've gotten into the very bad habit of using a snack as a "bridge" between activities, or as a quick break when I get stuck on a project I'm working on.

I don't think a lot of us pay attention any more to when we're REALLY hungry, and I think a lot of that comes from dieting.

Example: when I was in Weight Watchers and knew I was supposed to "eat all the food" for the day in order to lose. They didn't really say anything about eating if you were hungry. It just seemed like something people talked about a lot: make sure you eat ALL the food or you won't lose as well. (I was never able to stick with WW long enough at a time to learn whether that was true or not, but my mother told me it was.)

It's the same thing for water bottles or coffee drinks. Nowadays people don't go anywhere without their water bottle or coffee cup. It never used to be like that. When I was growing up, we never saw anybody carrying a cup or bottle of anything around with them. These days, nobody gives it a second thought. I even see people drinking coffee during church service!

I wonder what would happen if we went back to eating regular meals, and cut out nearly all of the snacking we do? Maybe we'd lose some weight almost effortlessly.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #15  

Quote:
However, I've found that if I don't snack, but wait til the next meal, it tastes sooo much better. "Hunger makes the best sauce", as they say.
Amen to that!!!!