Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Decadent high-protein mushroom soup

I love mushroom soup, and hubby brought home some gorgeous oyster mushrooms from the farmers' market, so I created this recipe

1 T butter
160g of oyster mushrooms diced (I would guess about 2 cups, before dicing)
40g of scallion, sliced thinly (2 large scallions, whites and 2/3 of the greens)
60g of unflavored whey protein isolate (90% protein)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup, condensed
2.5 cups of water
seasonings (dried garlic, dash of fish sauce, dash of balsamic vinegar, and pinch of splenda, and salt).

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, I melted the butter and added the scallions, and let them saute a bit until they soften. Then add the finely diced mushroom, and the seasonings (except for the splenda) along with 1/2 cup of the water and let the mushrooms simmer until the onions and mushrooms are tender (maybe 5 minutes or so).

Then I stirred in the cream of mushroom, and stired the whey powder into the mixture (this will be quite thick, because the rest of the water hasn't been added yet). Adding the whey slowly (and before adding water) and stirring constantly with a large non-stick spoon or whisk will help prevent the whey powder from clumping.

Then gradually stir/whisk in the remaining 2 cups of water, and stir frequently until the soup is hot/starting to bubble.

Taste the soup and add salt/pepper or other seasonings as desired (I had to add about 3/4 if a tsp of Splenda to balance the flavors, but I think I could have done without if I'd used a smidge less balsamic vinegar).

Warning: Don't leave the soup on the stove to simmer or cook at too high a temperature or the whey protein will start to seperate/curdle (it will still taste good, but you'll have what looks like mushroom studded pudding or porridge rather than soup. Tastey, but weird looking, sort of like grey cream of wheat).

Per my calculations

the whole batch

628 calories
30g fat
36g carbohydrate
9g fiber
64g protein

Divided into 4 equal servings (about 1 cup each)

160 calories
7.5g fat
9g carbohydrate
2.25g fiber
16g protein

And for exchange plans

1 fat
1 vegetable
2 protein

The flavor was very good, though next time, I might try less or no butter and more whey protein (or some tvp). I also could have added more water, because the soup was very thick and rich.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-25-2011 at 04:25 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Sounds good! I love mushroom soup! The cals are pretty darned good on that, and I like the protein content.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Looks awesome and look forward to trying it.
Karen
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #4  

I also discovered that even if it curdles, it makes an awesome base for an omelette or scrambled eggs. (even if you didn't accidentally curdle it like I did, it would be just as good or better).

I used 1/2 cup of the curdled mushroom soup (80 calories)
2 large eggs (150 calories)
2 large egg whites (35 calories)
1/2 tbsp oil (60)

Whisked all the ingredients (except the oil)

I added the oil to a non-stick pan (which isn't really necessary) and then poured in the egg mixture and cooked as either an omelette or as scrambled eggs (great both ways).

325 calories for a huge, fluffy plate sized omelette.

or 1 veg, 2 fat, 4 protein (if you used 3 egg whites, it would still be 4 protein).

I had this for dinner last night, and it was so huge, I barely could finish it. I think one half would actually make a better portion. I couldn't believe how fluffy the omelette was.

It was so tastey from the mushroom soup that I wasn't even tempted to put ketchup on it (which for me, is really saying something).

Last edited by kaplods; 11-25-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #5  

Your posts always make me so hungry. Now, I am dying to try both recipes! Feel free to post all the recipes you know....I won't...um...steal them or anything.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #6  

LOL - you can't steal what is given freely. And if you ever pass on one of my recipes, I don't even care if say you invented it yourself.

When I pass on recipes, I'm not always sure which ones I've invented, borrowed, or modified. I almost always at least modify (because I use less salt than most recipes call for, and if it's a savory recipe garlic almost always goes in, whether called for or not).
Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #7  

Yes, I usually do modify things as well. I also don't usually add in salt or anything and I am also a garlic lover-plus, it's so good for you that if it is a savory recipe, it'll probably have some extra going in. I also end up adding spiciness to things as well. Usually though, my modifications are experimentation--My dad says that is how one becomes a better cook, but it's mostly just plain fun. Thanks though, these really are good looking recipes!

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 06-28-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #8  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Made this today.
It was great! used baby portabellas and it worked just fine.
Also added 1 cubed potato to add a bit of body for my man.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote