Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 08:55 AM   #1  

Default Time for SERIOUS FUN!

Ok, I am starting this thread for those of us who have been at this a long time, may need a LOT of encouragement, may or may not have a LOT to lose, and need a place to go for FUN!

I have looked at a variety of threads and notice a lot of COMPLAINING! I want this to be an upbeat thread where you can come and say I had a lousy day, but I AM GOING TO KEEP GOING. Complaining wastes energy and EVERYONE has bad days.
Complaining is also different from needing encouragement. We want to be encouraging to each other, not wallow in self pity!

I am going to put out a challenge for those of you who want to give it an ole college try. This is for the summer ladies so let's all get motivated!!

1. I am going to EXERCISE at least 4 times every week
2. I am going to cut out 1 food that I know is BAD for me
3. I am going to TRY and stay on my program everyday
4. I am going to get that water in
5. I am going to tell myself I am beautiful everyday and MEAN IT because you are!
6. I am going to help at least one person who is struggling by my love and encouragment

Are you with me ladies? Can you really be positive about your life, love you now not just when you are thin? It is tough to do sometimes, but I know you can do it. Help is ON THE WAY!

Monday is Mission day: Our mission for our first Monday is to exercise today!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 06-02-2003 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:26 AM   #2  

I can surely try!!!!

I need a good kick in the *** to get me going again, and this may just help.

1. Exercise is okay for 4 days a week, I can do that

2. One food.....hummmmmm I think will have to be chips of any kind, they are not safe in my sight.

3. I will TRY to stay on my plan everyday, and if I don't I will not complain, because it's my own fault I guess, no one picked up the food and shoved it in my mouth

4. Water I can do with not a problem.

5. Beautiful: that may be a problem, but I will try.

6. Help others, I can do!!!!!

So, I guess I'm up for the challenge.

By the way, my name is Sandy, I'm 33, mom of 2, three if you count my biggest baby my hubby, and I live in Maine.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:10 AM   #3  

Hi, Sandy, nice to meet you!

You have to be beautiful or dh would never have married you!!!

I have grown children only, but I do have one grandchild who is 3 and my sweety.

I am glad you are up for trying the challenge! We can do this together I know we can.

I got ready to go out to do water aerobics at our pool and it came pouring down rain so guess I will have to do something else today for exercise.

You work hard and you will surely succeed!

Faye
Old 06-02-2003, 10:11 AM   #4  
GmaTo8

Count me in! This thread is just what we needed! No whiners, lol!!! I recently re-started WW and need lots of support to get me through.

There are a few gals at Jadied Ladies that I will send here. For some reason, that thread just never does take off....

I am a 49 y/o married mother of 3, grandma of 2 with 1 on the way, and a sort-of grandma to 2 more. I used to be a Personnel Director but have been a SAHM for eons. We live in the country and I am surrounded by fresh fruits and veggies in the summer.

It will be nice to have a place to check in every day...

Jana
Old 06-02-2003, 10:30 AM   #5  

Hey Jana nice to meet you!

I just believe in lots of positive thinking. Even when I am not doing well, I just think to myself, tomorrow will be better and I make it that way! The power to succeed is in ALL of us, we just have to grab hold of it and run with it...heavy on the RUN! lol

I grew up in a small town and my parents and grandparents canned fruits and veggies every summer so I love them which is a big plus!

Well, it is lightening pretty bad here now so I have to log off.

Will check back later!

Faye
Old 06-02-2003, 12:11 PM   #6  

Hi all!

Can I play too?
Actually I followed Jana here from the Jaded Ladies, and a few other places.

I cant promise that I will never whine..but Ill do my best..LOL

My name is Michelle, and I am 34yrs old. I have been married one year and seven months. No kids yet...but hopefully soon. We are thinking about trying to start a family at the end of this year.

I work part time filling vending machines with candy. Can you say temptation? Other than that I love to garden, spend time with my sweet doggie, and do some crafting. Just recently I have added working out to my list of pleasant activities. I started on April 28th, and have only missed 6 days since then. My hubby and I work out together, so we are really good at giving each other that extra push when one of us tries to get out of it. He makes it fun for me.

As far as your challenge goes...

1. I think I have the exercise thing down. Yayyy for me!
2. I cut out soft drinks and alcohol completely. Im 2 for 2!
3. Ok...I pass this one on a technicality. I do start everday with the intention of TRYING. Im not always successful, but I try.
4. This is where I fail miserably. I just tend to forget to drink water until I am really thirtsy. Then Ill drink a whole bunch before I go to the gym, to try to make up for it. I am getting better, but improvements are needed.
5. This I can do! I love being able to discuss my quest for a healthier me. It feels good to share ideas about what works for me, and what doesnt, and to learn from others too. Thats why I come here! I have even had daydreams about becoming a personal trainer when I reach my goals.

Well, Ive babbled on yet again. These boards turn me into such a chatterbox. Youll either get used to me...or sick of me. lol

Have a good day ladies!

Michelle
Old 06-02-2003, 12:51 PM   #7  

I messed up and missed number 5. This is a toughie...I have days where I feel beautiful and healthy and strong. Then I have days where I feel fat and ugly. Sometimes theres no getting past it, until you sleep it off, and wake up the next day. But I can make an effort to find positive things about myself. Like... I am working hard, and making a difference. I want to be healthy and strong, beauty will just be an added bonus.

Michelle
Old 06-02-2003, 01:25 PM   #8  

Welcome Michelle!

I want ALL the ladies here to know they are gorgeous, beautiful and stunning right now, now 20, 50, 100, 200 lbs from now. We have to first be willing to tell ourselves that to have someone else "Catch on!"

Good for you about soda and alcohol. I gave up soft drinks completely and am thrilled about it. I probably lost 20 lbs FAST just from cutting all that sugar out, let alone the caffeine.

Incredibly, I found exercise easier than food choices though I am morbidly obese. I absolutely get in 5 days a week and shoot for 6.

You keep coming back and "talking" til your little hands are tired! lol As for the whining, we all want to do it, but to tell you the truth, it takes away from our goal. Positive thinking even on crummy days will get you right through the rough spots!

Faye
Old 06-02-2003, 05:32 PM   #9  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies -

I'm on my way to a meeting, and in a real hurry, but wanted to tell you something before I go. I just did the Walk the Pounds Away dvd for the first time, and I love it! I especially like that the leader is neither young nor "skinny". Being as out of shape as I am, I could feel the burn even with the 1 mile workout. I think I've found my exercise niche! YAY!!!!

See you in the morning!
Jana
Old 06-02-2003, 06:02 PM   #10  

Three cheers for Jana! It is always great when you find a form of exercise you like. I love doing my water aerobics and get a really good workout doing them though of course since the pool is outside this is a good weather and summer thing only. I even got in today after our storm. It was much cooler and deeper, but I did it anyway and am glad I did.

TOMORROW IS TARGET TUESDAY: That means I want each of you think about a targeted food. I want you to target a food you have trouble with and work to get rid of it! We will talk about it tomorrow morning!

Everyone have a lovely evening and stay OP!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 06-02-2003 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

HI!!!!!!!! Here I am ifin you all want me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faye, I was so impressed to see a thread that is so positive which in my mind is the most important thing.

As for your challenges....
1. I usually get to the gym at least 5 days a week if I don't make it I do a min ab workout at home.
2. I have already given up caffiene(goin on 4 yrs). Now I am trying to cut back on my fried foods. Baby steps here.
3. Every morning I start the day off OP and try to the best of my abilities every day to stay OP. If I don't I dust myself off and get right back on.
4. Water no problem. Usually 84oz or more a day here!
5. Beautiful, that is something that I have already been trying to do. I believe that I am beautiful while it may not always be on the oward apperence I am beautiful in my own right.
6. Helping others here I am willing and able to try to be a big help to everyone here.

I am a Sandy, too. I am 36 married(2nd) and have a 6 yr son going on 30(first marriage). Went thru a horrible 2002 was dx with endo and on Feb 6th 2003 had a hyst and was given my life back. That is when I started my weight lost journey again. Since then I have lost 25lbs. Now I am at 188 and my goal is 160. Have a large bone structure and don't think that I would look good any smaller. Here's to a great week and a great thread. Look forward to it.

sandy
Old 06-03-2003, 06:43 AM   #12  

Default Tuesday True!!!!

Dear Friend of "Time for SERIOUS FUN":

Today is Tuesday and I am ready to be on the wagon again. I have decided, again, that I am climbing on and trying to stay put. I think with supportive people like all of you I will be on my way again. So here it is 6:37 a.m in Maine and a beautiful morning and although I have not yet dressed or brushed my hair I'm at the computer to check in and offically start my day.

gigglez: What a wonderful name we have huh... You can all just call me peek so we can keep the names straight, I will even sign my posts peek.

Now I just want to say hello to everyone that has jumped on board sofar. So a big HELLO to you all.

I promise to try to check in daily, actually that will not be a problem I love the computer and usually am not to far away from it. I will probably be here so much I will bug the heck out of all of you.. But support is the name of the game.

So far today I have had coffee (still on the first cup) and guess what? I have given up sugar in my coffee this a.m., so that is #2 accomplished so far.....and for # 5 I AM BEAUTIFUL, AND I WILL RADIATE THIS TO OTHERS TODAY!!!!

So, I have rambled and rambled~~~I will close and give someone else time to post and let me read something....

Everyone have a wonderful OP day.
**PEEK**
Old 06-03-2003, 08:05 AM   #13  

HELLO TO ALL THE BEAUTIFUL WOMEN ON OUR THREAD! I AM BEAUTIFUL AND I KNOW YOU ARE TOO!

TARGET TUESDAY: Ok, for Target Tues I just want you to think in your mind something currently in your pantry and vow NOT TO TOUCH IT TODAY! Like Sandy said, baby steps and what better way then to take one day a week and work to not eat that one thing that calls to us all day. Now because I believe you should be able to eat ANYTHING if you want to and plan for it, Target TUES no no's are for that day only, just to give you a lift when you have been able to stand strong and not do it.

For my Target Tues, I am going to not eat these little graham snacks that I love. They are not really fattening, but to tell you the truth my house is pretty low fat all the way around. I have my dh buy snacks he likes that I hate (like coconut cookies) and all my snacks are lower fat, but I can overdo those darn things so for today, I am abstaining from the Cinnamon Graham Snacks.

As I gained when we were on vacation a week ago, I am proud to say I lost it all and another 2 lbs besides! Hurray! I hope I can get in the pool before it rains today. Course who knows with the weather man!

Sandy: Welcome to you and we definitely want that positive spirit of yours. I am thrilled you have your health back (I am in that menopausal crap which looks like you may get to skip all together now LOL), and BIG congrat on weight loss so far. I am looking in my magic mirror and see a very beautiful woman looking back.

Peek: Way to go girl! You be positive today. If your cream is your target today, you be strong and leave it out. How you can drink that nasty ole coffee though, YCK! lol I have never drank a full cup of coffee in my life. I hate the taste of the stuff in everything except a cookie my sweet grandma used to make called coffee hermits. They had no coffee taste, they were a spice cookie with nuts and raisins. Haven't had one in years and years. My mirror is showing me one hunk of gorgeousness coming from you!

Elle: Wow vending machines, huh? I guess you should just keep thinking what each chocolate bar will look like on your butt if you eat it! lol You keep up that exercise and you are doing a fine job of getting where you want to go. I look in my mirror and see an unusually pretty young woman smiling back at me!

Jana: How's it going girl? I am glad you joined us. We can use all the positive input we can get. You go with your exercise and those summer fruits and veggies! Now my mirror shows a very young and beautiful grandma looking back with a nice big smile!

Ok, ladies let's target that food today and accomplish our list of goals. Dr Phil is doing a bunch of shows this year about weight loss and he told a lovely black lady yesterday something I think everyone should think about. He basically told her that she should prioritize (this lady is a fancy real estate agent and tax consultant) anyway, that if she is let's say having trouble exercising everyday, then make a goal that she would not comb her hair until she had exercised. In other words, she would never go to work with uncombed hair so she would HAVE to exercise. That is how I am going to try and look at things. Make priorities in my life and to tell you a little secret, I am kind of a big cleaner so I am going to try and leave housework until I have exercised everyday so I will either get out in that pool or walk.

Looking forward to reading your posts today and keep on that smiling face! We are going to SUCCEED!

Faye
Old 06-03-2003, 08:45 AM   #14  

Angry Hey Gals...Count Me In

Hi there, Everyone

I would very much like to be a part of your group! It sounds like the perfect match for me

I am totally serious about getting on with this weight loss thing already, and I need to surround myself with people who are just as serious

I am 35 years old and married. I do not have children yet. I live in New Hampshire near the coast.

I think that the challenges you offered are great, Faye!

#1: I am committed to this one I work out 5 days a week right now as it is. I alternate between step aerobics, walking on the treadmill and the walk away the pounds video. On the weekends, I try to get as much exercise as possible outdoors, in the form of walking, hiking, gardening, etc.

#2: I think I can do this. I have been working on trying to replace one junk food per day with a good healthy alternative like fruit, fat-free yogurt, etc., but there is ALWAYS room for improvement!!

#3: This one will be hard, obviously, lol! But I am hoping that with the help of all of you here, it will become easier For us ALL!!

#4: I am a huge water drinker, so got that one aced

#5: Now this might be the hardest one of all for me!! In fact, I had posted in my journal a few days ago that this was a very hard thing for me. I think that I may need to work on this even more than my weight.

#6: I can do this one! Seems like everyone here can do this one

Sandy: I am with you on the chips thing, lol! And the candy and cookies and cake and........ LOL!

I noticed that you live in Maine. What part of Maine, if I may ask? I live in Greenland, New Hampshire. Are you familiar with Greenland? Wow! That would be cool if we lived close

Jana: Good luck to you with WW! Do you like it so far? I tried WW awhile back and I found that it stressed me to eat more, LOL!! I think I am weird because I haven't heard anyone else say that.

I see that you have become a Walk Away the Pounds lover. I have the 1, 2 & 3 mile set. LOVE IT!!! Very motivating workout! And I agree about the leader The whole gang makes it fun.

Where do you live? Do you grown your own fruits and veggies?

Michelle: Great name, lol! My name is Michelle also

I can only imagine the temptation you must feel with that type of work, LOL!!! Oh, how do you do it??

That is so cool that you and your hubby work out together. It is great to have the support of one another! Good for you for sticking with it. What types of workouts do you do? I love that you have been inspired to become a personal trainer when you reach your goal weight Excellent! Keep on with the positive attitude and you WILL reach that goal!

Sandy #2: Sounds like you are doing great with the challenges already

I am sorry about your having to have a hysterectomy due to endo, but I am sooo glad that you seem to be feeling much better? I am sure that this did not help with the whole weight struggle. You are doing GREAT though!! 25 lbs. lost. Excellent!! Keep at it!! I think that you will reach your goal in no time

Faye: First off, thanks so much for starting up this thread! Everyone sounds so motivated. I have belonged to some other groups and it just wasn't active enough. You have to feel like there are people there when you "check in"

Is water aerobics your exercise of choice? Do you have the weight belt and all of that? I have a pool at my house, too, and I do my own workout in it, but I have wanted to try all the workout equipment. Please let me know if you find it helpful if you use it!

I share the fact that exercise is easier than the food part! I have always loved to work out and have been pretty active my whole life. It is the darn eating that has me bogged down, lol.

I think I got everyone. If not, I am sorry!! I am trying to keep everyone straight. I know that this is a long first post, but I thought it might be easier than responding individually to each person.

Here's to a new beginning!! I think that we can do this if we all set our minds to it and help each other out.

Will check back later

Michelle
Old 06-03-2003, 09:23 AM   #15  
GmaTo8

Good morning ladies,

Peek - I start my day at the computer, too, with a cup of coffee! I used to start it with a cig a long time ago, so I feel I have made lots of progress, lol. Glad you are back on the wagon - we will help you from falling off again.

Faye - WOO-HOO on the extra weight and additional 2 pounds gone!! I just love Dr. Phil, but his show is not offered on any channels I get on my satelite out here in the boonies. Prioritizing is a good idea! Aren't grandchildren the sweetest??
Mine (the twins) live in the house next door on family property, so I get to see them daily. They will be 1 in less than 2 weeks. How old is yours?

Michelle #1 (Elle) - how are you today?

Michelle # 2 - I am from Indiana and we live in the country. Growing in our own garden (or on trees) right now is lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, green peppers, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, pears, onions, peaches and apricots. Then also, we rent someacres to a big farmer who grows watermelons, cantaloupe, wheat and corn. I will literally have melons out my back door. How are things in New Hampshire?

sandy - glad to meet you, and I'm glad you have your health and life back.

Regarding the Tues. challenge - I have to say that I try to keep any "problem" foods out of my house. Chips and chocolate are my downfall, and if I get a craving for them, I work it into my points and buy an individual pack of whatever. So far, so good.

I am more than 100 pounds overweight and try to not dwell on the lonnnnnnggg journey ahead. One day at a time, right ladies?

Toodles for now!
Jana

Last edited by Jana; 06-03-2003 at 09:27 AM.
Closed Thread