Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

Height: 5'3"

Default An unexpected feast

Hi! I've been calorie counting and trying to be low carb, and had an experience yesterday that made me recognize how even my minimal effort can make a big difference so I thought I would share.

My son, who does not have a weight issue and eats like growing teenager, which he is, wanted a special meal out. We arranged to go to a churruscaria, one of these brazilian places with a huge buffet and unlimited roasted meats. I figured this would be a cheat meal, and had a protein shake in the morning and a salad for lunch.

There was salad on the buffet, and shrimp, so I was good there. I had a lot of shrimp, but they are so low in calories it was fine. I avoided any of the dressings, salads that had oil, went past the bread and potatoes etc...

I had the roast meat for dinner, and it was amazing. I added in my calories and even trying a lot of the meat, even with bacon wrapped turkey, still wound up where I should be. We went to a show after, and he had candy - I had a couple of his junior mints, a couple of his m&m's, recorded those in my calorie count as well. Which was in the 1500's for the day.

Basically, I'm sharing this because 1) who would have thought buffet/unlimited meat would work out so well; and 2) it was a night where I thought my only options were to go way off plan or to feel deprived, and I feel like I found a healthy and livable middle ground...
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

It seems that when we really want something we can control other things to fit it.

I desperately want to lose this weight as well and even though I sometimes want more than anything to cheat I realize that the hours of guilt and days of trying to work it back off are just not worth the few minutes of pleasure.

I am really proud of you for keeping things in control!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a rockstar! Congratulations on your success
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Great job on making great choices! That's what this is all about, isn't it? We can't expect the food to "behave" - we have to behave. And you just proved that we can when we want to. I was at a party last night where the food was buffet style with no limits. I realized I wanted to stay OP more than I wanted to eat what was there for the taking. This is a powerful feeling - that we are in control over the food rather than the other way around. We all have to hope we somehow find and keep the ability to do this, because this is the way we were intended to eat - what we need and what is healthy for us rather than what we eat on impulse.

I hope you remember how GREAT it felt yesterday when you stayed within your calorie limits in a place where it would have been so easy to go berserk. Be proud of this accomplishment, because it is one little piece of the whole plan to a healthier life style. I'm proud of you. Keep it up!

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 8"

You did great!

I had a similar situation on Friday night. We decided to take the kids to see Cars 2 and we got there early, so my husband and kids went to DQ and I stopped at Pannera and got a cup lemon chicken orzo since I had not eaten dinner yet. During the movie the kids had candy, drinks, and popcorn...I was going to eat some popcorn when I realized that I would much rather eat healthy than eat the popcorn. This carried over to yesterday when I went to a big church picnic...I had NO desire to eat the desert, the cals just were not worth it to me!
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #5  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Great job, freefall!
theox is offline   Reply With Quote