Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:10 PM   #1  

Question More Pilates questions...

Hi All...

I know the Pilates questions have been asked a million times, so forgive me.
Ive been looking into starting Pilates, because I keep hearing so many great things about it. Im curious about the DVD's for doing it at home. From the info Ive found on the internet, there is alot of equipment involved. Or is that just for traditional Pilates? If I were to buy a DVD for home use, do I need to purchase any equipment to go with it? If it does not involve equipment, is it as good as the traditional version? Without the equipment is pretty much the same as yoga?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but you'd be surprised at how little info there is out there on Pilates. Everybody just wants to sell me something.

Thanks for you help!

Michelle
Old 05-21-2003, 04:23 PM   #2  

hi elle....
i am not an expert by any means but i do own two pilates videos. actually, i own the 4 dummies one, and i am borrowing the winsor one....

i cardio (running/walking_ but i also do pilates 2-3 times a week, and i can really feel my abs tight. i still have fat over the 'hardbody' but i can feel the muscles under the blubber. grab a video and 'hit it'!! all you need is you! maybe a mat if you dont have a rug/carpet infront of the tv. i know if you search the net for pilates, they have those weird machines, but the videos dont require that....
i hope a veteran pilates user also replies, but this opinion from a newbie pilates can at least ad encouragement!
Old 05-21-2003, 04:28 PM   #3  
Student of the Hoof

I also own Dummies and Winsor. From what I understand "traditional" pilates is all floor work, done on a mat to protect your spine (unless you have nice soft cushy carpet). I haven't done yoga, but I can say that I have not yet found a better, faster way to get my butt, abs, lower back, and legs in shape than with pilates. There's even a bit of upper body in the Dummies version. I do not own any pilates "equipment" and I saw definite results in 3 weeks. I highly recomend it.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #4  

Thanks for the info ladies.
I bought the dummies dvd off ebay. Ive watched it but havent had a chance to try it, because I dont have a mat yet. Some of the moves look a bit tough, but I think with a little practice I should be OK.
Its seems like it is a little like yoga, but more of a workout. Theres less holding the pose, and more working through it.
I cant wait to have hard abs...even if it is under the fat to start off!
Thanks...
Old 05-22-2003, 12:51 PM   #5  
12 pounds lost in 2006

Good information ladies! I may also look into buying the Dummies Pilates tape. And since I have thick carpeting no purchase of a mat will be necessary
Old 05-25-2003, 03:21 PM   #6  
On my way!!

I have the Winsor dvd's. I'm 12 weeks Post partum and find some of the moves difficult, but you can tell they target what you want them to target.

Never heard of the Dummies ones...
Old 05-26-2003, 06:01 PM   #7  

I tried it for the first time today....owwwiieee!
I am nowhere near as flexable as Id like to think.
I may have to talk to the chiro before I continue...I was hurtin'.

Jess....I got my dvd off of ebay...$7!
Old 06-02-2003, 12:03 PM   #8  
Live for the Moment!

Ladies- I just bought the Dummies Pilates DVD from Columbia House Canada for $9.00(canadian)...its not here yet but am looking forward to it...Especially from reading your comments...

YAY Pilates!

Go gurls!
Old 06-05-2003, 03:21 PM   #9  

The Ross and Marshall's stores in my area seem to have a continuing supply of pilates and yoga videos, as well as the sticky mat gift packs.

I got my video at Ross for under $5, and it was great. I also got a cardio yoga one that was very intense. I couldn't finish the workout.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:40 PM   #10  
I am my dog's idol!

Default winsor pilates

Hi all,

I bought the winsor pilates videos last weekend, but only tried them once. Boy am I so not flexible. I couldn't do the sit ups part at all. I am for sure intimidated by the videos. Does it get better?

On the infomercial it gave overweight women's testimonials...but I don't see how they did it. It does look like it targets abs, butt adn thighs..which is good and I wanted something where I didn't have to jump around in my UPSTAIRS apt. or use weights ( i have osteoarthritis in my hands). I was hoping this would be the dream exercise for me. Now I don't know.

thanks, debbie
Old 07-11-2003, 02:11 PM   #11  

I have the Winsor Pilates tapes. I still can't do every minute of the 20 min video. I have to take little 30 second breaks a couple of times. But I'm doing it three times a week. Eventually, I will be able to get through it and try the advanced video (which I haven't even opened yet!!) I'd say just stick with it, do what you can each time, and you should find yourself being able to do more and more of it each week. Good luck!
Also, I have very strong legs from running and cycling, but VERY weak abs. That's why I bought the tapes in the first place. And, oh boy do they target the abs! Mine are aching from last nights 20 minutes! My stomach just burns through the whole thing, I'm hoping that means it's working!!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:42 PM   #12  
Student of the Hoof

Debbie, I couldn't even begin to do most of that tape the first time I tried it. But I made a challenge to myself to do it for 6 weeks, 3 times a week. I figured then if I still hated it and couldn't do it, I'd toss it. Well, by the time the 3 week mark rolled around, I was doing MUCH better, and now, I'm doing those situps with barely a thought. It DOES get better as you keep working those muscles. Just work on doing what you can, keep trying, concentrate on form, and breathe. Don't give up!
Old 07-11-2003, 09:42 PM   #13  
I am my dog's idol!

Oh thanks girls for the imput. I 've only tried it again once since I posted on this board, but I will give it another shot after reading what yall had to say. Can anyone do the roll yet? LOL :-) I'm not sure I will ever get there. I do hope the sit ups get better as they did for you RavenToy. That's a good plan to at least try it for 6 weeks. I can do that. I haven't opened the advanced yet, either laney; was beginning to wonder if I ever would.

Thanks again for the imput and motiavtion to you both. Have a good weekend!

Debbie
Old 07-23-2003, 12:26 PM   #14  
seekie

Smile

Hi all. i've tried a couple of different Pilates videos and the best one I've found is Pilates conditioning for Weight Loss with Suzanne Deason. It's a Gaiam one and I got it at Costco. I have the DVD and it's fantastic because it has modifications for for those of us who are less flexible or less strong. I do the fully modified version, but I'm building up to the partially modified and then unmodified. The great thing about the DVD is you can just focus on the modified exercises and not be distracted by the full thing. You don't need anything but a mat and maybe a pillow. It's really good and not so difficult that it's discouraging. I really recommend it.

Last edited by heide; 07-23-2003 at 12:35 PM.
Closed Thread