South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #1  

Default Is it really truly OK to eat beans?

I'm struggling on my 2nd week here. I've lost 5 lbs so far (yeah) but am kind of stagnant the last 2 days.

I am dying for some black bean soup and it looks like I can have it. I really want to eat beans, lord knows I need the fiber and roughage (that is NOT going well). I just look at their carb count and freak out. I know they are mostly fiber but it still looks like 20 gms or so of carbs.

Are you other SBDers successful when you eat beans? It seems like the SBD really encourages it but I just want to make sure in the "real world". Kind of like I am so not buying the whole "net carb" thing, feels like a marketing ploy. Turns out most people agree so I'm glad I asked.

Thanks!

Laurie
mexigrl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

I actually found that I do better when I eat them. I make sure not to eat them with a ton of added salt but still the scale seems to continue down.
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 161/133.8/135

Height: 5'6"

On phase one I had 1/2 cup once a day several times a week. They caused no cravings and I continued to lose weight. I am not much of a meat eater and really enjoyed having them as an alternative meal/snack. Enjoy! You're doing great so far!
nanjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

, Mexigrl!

It is highly suggested that you eat beans every day on this plan. Remember that we do not count carbs on SBD, we eat Good Carbs.

I recommended to you in your other thread that you get the book and read it thoroughly. It is very important to understand the how's and why's of this way of eating to make it work for you.

Good luck, and we hope to get to know you better.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/160/125

Height: 5'3"

My husband and I ate beans every day of the first phase and lost weight the whole time. I have to eat beans on this diet. I don't like a huge variety of vegetables. I'm more of a fruit eater, so beans got me through phase 1. I tried to get low sodium but, I didn't bother rinsing canned beans. I just didn't eat that much.
Restypines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

Yes, I usually try to include 1/2 cup of beans each day even when in Phase 1. It really helps diminish cravings, and beans are just so good for you anyway. Get the dried kind and cook them in your slow cooker:
-rinse in cold water
-soak overnight
-cook for 3 hours on low in the soaking water or until soft.

You will notice a tremendous difference in taste from canned, and they are so much cheaper. You can also freeze cooked beans in their cooking water for later use. Just make sure the beans are covered with water in the freezing container.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: maintaining

I actually eat them for breakfast every day. I think people would be surprised if I told them what percentage of my daily intake is actually carbs. A lot - but the carbs are all healthy now and before SB they were all white grains and junk.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #8  

This part is still confusing to me. Yesterday I made a "refried bean soup" recipe I found here. Basically I didn't follow it exactly I just took a can of FF refried beans, can of tomatoes and some chicken broth (low sodium) and put it in the blender and then cooked it. It was pretty yummy and I only about 2/3 cup.

Today my scale showed no loss for the first day Could it be the beans? Do they ever stall people out?
mexigrl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #9  
Live, Laugh, Love

I've found that I stall when I DON'T eat beans. Beans actually are essential for me to get past a plateau. They're no miracle food. You won't lose a ton of weight just because you eat beans. Maybe post your menu - could be you're getting too many calories, not enough calories, not enough veggies, too much dairy...... there are a lot of factors.
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

Also, the initial amount of weight lost is usually due to water when you start eliminating carbs and sugars from your body. you can't expect to see a loss every single day. You just need to stick with the plan, add some exercise, and weigh every few days or even weekly. Real fat weight loss should only be 1-2lbs or so a week, depending on your weight. Keep giving it some time and don't get frustrated if the scale doesn't move right away. Later on you may need to make adjustments to what you are eating but the main goal of phase 1 is to eliminate cravings. THEN the real weight loss begins.keep it up and make sure to check in here for advice, support, and anything else you need!
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 264/264/160

Height: 5'5"

Beans are really good for you and an important part of SB. I don't think I could have made it through the phase 1 without them because I'm not much of a meat eater.
Jenmichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/160/125

I've just found a wonderful way to eat beans. I love them but, if you add some fresh lemon juice...man they're so good that way! I've only tried it with pinto and black...but it's so good!
Restypines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #13  

Laurie, I just started this week and have been losing and eating a bit of beans every day as well.

I just made spicy moroccan chic peas (recipe below) - Its to die for, if you like spicy food. I only used 1 cup of red onion and omitted the apricot and couscous of course (because of phase 1)and it was still really good. It has the beans, spinach and tomatoes, all good stuff.

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
2 cups thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup dried apricots, sliced
1 tablespoon ras el hanout (Moroccan spice blend) or garam masala
1 teaspoon salt 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
6 cups escarole, torn into 1-inch pieces
1 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup mint leaves
4 cups hot cooked couscous Preparation

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove garlic from pan using a slotted spoon; discard or reserve for another use. Add onion and next 6 ingredients (through cinnamon stick) to pan; sauté for 7 minutes or until the onion is lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 cup water, rind, juice, chickpeas, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in escarole; simmer for 1 minute or until escarole wilts. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cilantro and mint; top with almonds. Serve over couscous
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Just note the above recipe is not phase I because of the couscous and apricot. (is couscous okay at all? I never eat it...Quinoa would be great for phase II)

As a side note, the mention of black bean soup has me a-hankerin' for black bean and sweet potato soup the ladies on here all recommended...YUM!! So excited for the fall weather!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #15  

Oh absolutley, thats why I said I eliminated the cous cous and apricot but it was still really really delicious!
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote