South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #1  

Default Phase 1 - Smoothie Recipes?

I'm thinking I might make it through another week if I could have a smoothie for breakfast. I've seen a few recipes on various sites on the net that say they are OK for SBD or some say Phase 1 but I thought I would ask here. It seems that this board has people with experience as well as lots of members so it would be the best place to ask.

Thanks!!
mexigrl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/270/190

Height: 5'7"

I was thinking the same thing for myself. I start P1 week 2 Sunday... I told my husband last night that I needed change... I think a smoothie would help on those days when breakfast (or even lunch) has to be on the run.
wife89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5

What would you put in the smoothie? If it was non fat, plain yogurt and flax or hemp seed powder, then I think it would be OK--as long as you stayed within the guidelines for the amount of dairy (2 cups I think), and seeds. Or, you can maybe blend 2 spoons of peanut butter into yogurt or milk.

Just make sure you eat enough vegetables or you'll probably get constipated. Plus, I don't know for sure, but it seems like consuming all your dairy in one sitting would spike blood sugar.

You could also enjoy ice ground up with milk and coffee--which is kind of like a smoothie, but you would still have to eat some substantial food for breakfast. I notice that some people on the board skip snacks or breakfast--but that can lead to falling off the diet from the desperate desire to re-balance blood sugar after missing a meal.

I've been eating pre-cooked (by me) spinach quiche for breakfast, with a glass of V8, and it works well on the run! And the quiche gives protein and veggies. Also, there are recipes for custards and souffles which include egg and dairy, but no added sugar. This would be a way to get some easy protein in for breakfast.

Last edited by Stopfat; 06-24-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

If you are on P1 you can't have a fruit smoothie but there are plenty of other ways to make one! There are other types of milk besides lactose-containing milk if you don't want to use all your dairy all at once. You are only allowed, I think, 2 cups of dairy a day on P1 so try to stay in those guidelines. There is soy milk, almond milk, and hemp milk that I know of. I enjoy the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk myself. And nonfat plain greek yogurt is a great base for smoothies. You can add things like natural peanut or almond butter, coffee (or instant coffee crystals), unsweetened cocoa, extracts (vanilla, almond, peppermint, lemon, coconut etc), rhubarb... Also, if you can find sugar free syrups like the kind they use at coffee shops- DaVinci, Torani, and Monin are a few brands I've heard of- you can make yummy milkshakes if you MUST have something sweet. I really like DaVinci SF cookie dough syrup (I buy online) blended with milk and ice.

ETA: Adding psyllium husk fiber to your smoothies is a good way to add fiber if you aren't getting enough of it otherwise. I'm not sure where you can find it by that name, but it is the main ingredient in Metamucil which has an unflavored, unsweetened type that I add to my smoothies sometimes. It helps to thicken it up too.

Last edited by asphyxia63; 06-24-2011 at 12:48 PM.
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5

I just saw this on Zeffryn's Plan 1 OP post and thought of this thread.

"chocolate cheesecake smoothie (cottage cheese, us coconut milk, cocoa powder, stevia, vanilla)"

The Plan 1 OP thread is a nice place to find good meal plans. That milkshake sounds delish.

I used hemp powder in almond milk the other day--it had 44% fiber in it. I also find Metamucil delicious (I'm weird for that, I think.)

Last edited by Stopfat; 06-24-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #6  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

^^^ Yes, yes and YES to what asphyxia said! All of the above.

PLUS I have used cottage cheese (the famous Chocolate Cheesecake Smoothie)... I have sometimes added peanut flour (which is just ground up peanuts). [ETA: haha, I just saw that stopfat said the same thing]

This was mentioned above, but here is a recipe for Phase-1-friendly Mocha Frappuccino

I love smoothies in Phase 1 - Enjoy!!

Last edited by EmmaD; 06-24-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: update
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #7  

Had one this morning with nonfat Greek Plain Yogurt, SF chocolate syrup, 1 t natural peanut butter, 1/2 c 2% Calorie Countdown Milk (which appears to have less carbs than other milks) and ice. It was very good!

THANKS FOR THE IDEAS
mexigrl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

I was really craving a fruit smoothie the other day, but since I decided to go back to P1, that was a no-go. So I used Greek yogurt, skim milk, ice, 1 T of sugar-free raspberry preserves (how this is P1 friendly, I don't know, but it is!), and a little bit of splenda.

Maybe not a breakfast in and of itself, but it was pretty good as far as fruitless fruit smoothies go!
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote