Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #1  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Default Asking a question I already know the answer to...

Well... It's that time I guess, to reach out...
I'm sitting here, studying, looking down at my big ol belly, and thinking "Why cant I just do this once and for all??"
I know I just need to resolve to myself, ASK God for help & actually receive it, instead of going to the easier, quick fix to things of food, and not be influenced by others unhealthy decisions, but that is all OH SO easier said than done.

Last year I lost weight quick, and still I go through seasons of quick losses- see, if I STICK WITH IT, I lose weight QUICK. But there's the problem. I'll get a craving for Starbucks in the middle of a run of eating healthy & staying within my calories, and I wont even fight my thoughts- I feel like such a whimp mentally, I just give in and go drive down to Starbucks.

That exact example happened last night, but Starbucks was out of the lemon loaf I wanted, so I decided to get my sweet fix next door at Jack in the Box- as I'm waiting to get my mini churros & chocolate cake, I feel a surge of power- I CAN say no to this- just LEAVE the drive through, you can do it!! But I dont, I eat them miserably, berating myself with each chew... And feeling lowsy and powerless even until the next day.

I just need some encouragement I guess, some tips... How do I get the stick-to-it-tiveness to make this a LIFE thing... The worst part is, for 90% of the time, I still work out, still eat healthy, maintain somewhat near my calories, but those huge "little" breaks, cause me to maintain my weight, which is almost as bad as loosing! lol..

Ok, done ranting... thank you all in advance.
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/217/165

Height: 5.7

Wow you could be my twin...........Im feeling the exact same way as I type these words on here. Prayers being sent your way hun, its so hard to lose weight!!! but I think as long as you never give up the dream of losing weight oneday just oneday it will FINALLY click. Im hoping anyway
proudmommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #3  

I hope so too!! Good luck to us both!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #4  
Do everything in love.

S/C/G: 420/305.4/145

Height: 5'9"

Rely on your faith.

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

“No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

“Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me? Hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.” Psalm 43:5

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind." James 1:2-6

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?” Isaiah 43:18-19

“But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.” 1 Corinthians 15:10

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:33-34

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. . . . those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:29
ohlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i have the most control over what i eat when i'm angry at the power food has over me...sometimes i just have to think about that and it's enough to make me put the junk food away...outside influences help me also, like if i know i bought that sweet treat for the kids then i won't eat it, or if DH says "you probably shouldnt eat that" then i'll put it down...i cave the most when i'm alone with junk food or sugar...or even, really, just sugar...i can be alone and pass up most fast foods but not sugary stuff

nice to see people of faith here also i am very spiritual but i also keep it very private

and to be fair, DH says that stuff because we're both working on a low carb way of eating, he's not saying that to be mean or rude...he knows it helps keep me on track
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:57 AM   #6  
Struggling Member

S/C/G: 325/...../220

Height: 5' 11"

DaughterOfTheKing - you've got a lot of situational awareness. You know what's going on. It's possible to be aware and still make mistakes, but at least you aren't flailing away in ignorance, doomed to never succeed.
Many times I have driven towards a drive-thru and passed it by or turned around. Once in a while I'll get sucked into one.
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlove View Post
Rely on your faith.

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

“No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

“Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me? Hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.” Psalm 43:5

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind." James 1:2-6

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?” Isaiah 43:18-19

“But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.” 1 Corinthians 15:10

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:33-34

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. . . . those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:29
Wow Wow & Wow... Amazing!
Thank you
Wow.. I'm humbled, thank you for the Word! There is power in it!
I just need to put it into action, LIVE by my faith!
I've printed 3 copies of these scriptures out- one for my room, one for the kitchen & one for my car
Thank you again!

Last edited by DaughteroftheKing; 06-24-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
i have the most control over what i eat when i'm angry at the power food has over me...sometimes i just have to think about that and it's enough to make me put the junk food away...outside influences help me also, like if i know i bought that sweet treat for the kids then i won't eat it, or if DH says "you probably shouldnt eat that" then i'll put it down...i cave the most when i'm alone with junk food or sugar...or even, really, just sugar...i can be alone and pass up most fast foods but not sugary stuff

nice to see people of faith here also i am very spiritual but i also keep it very private

and to be fair, DH says that stuff because we're both working on a low carb way of eating, he's not saying that to be mean or rude...he knows it helps keep me on track
YES, I live with my lovely sister & dad who are connoisseurs of ice cream, cakes, pizza's of all kinds! So it takes real strength to stick with my plan & eat what I know I should instead of being influenced! But I know when I become consistent and successful, I can be a healthy influence to motivate them.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius View Post
DaughterOfTheKing - you've got a lot of situational awareness. You know what's going on. It's possible to be aware and still make mistakes, but at least you aren't flailing away in ignorance, doomed to never succeed.
Many times I have driven towards a drive-thru and passed it by or turned around. Once in a while I'll get sucked into one.
Thank you for the words.. Maybe I'm making progress...
Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #10  

I think that we go through periods in life of just having less willpower and focus. You may not like this suggestion, but here it is:

Purposely commit to maintenance for a while.

By doing that, you can purposely allow for some treats within your maintenance calorie range (yes, even Starbucks) without feeling guilt and, best of all, you will feel in control.

I'm just afraid that if you keep trying to lose right now when you're really not into it, the feelings of failure, guilt, and being out of control will backfire into "rebound eating" (i know---been there, done that). So, just ride out this wave by staying on maintenance until you get the drive to start losing again.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

If relying on your faith works for you, grand, go for it. If it doesn't, then don't feel bad about leaving your diet out of your religion; it doesn't make you any less of a good Christian, and I'm sure that your faith is still a major part of your life. Personally I feel that the vocabulary of sin and temptation is very damaging when applied to food, so watch out for that. Whatever you do, avoid anything that will increase feelings of guilt, as they are what set up the whole cycle of feeling deprived and bingeing to begin with. It sounds like you're doing very well overall and should pat yourself on the back for your progress, rather than beating yourself up about the odd slip-up.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #12  

Thank you both so much for the advice... Great points!
I really appreciate all the support & different points of views I can get here!