Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/135/118

Height: 5'4"

Default Please tell me this isn't a huge deal...

Little background... I have ocd. Like, I actually, for real, do I'm a teacher. I'm on a field trip, and or only food option was burger and fries....so I ate it. I'm afraid I just derailed my success. Looking for reassurance
psuajblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuajblue View Post
Little background... I have ocd. Like, I actually, for real, do I'm a teacher. I'm on a field trip, and or only food option was burger and fries....so I ate it. I'm afraid I just derailed my success. Looking for reassurance
Take a deep breath. This is not a big deal.

Do not get derailed... After all, if you continue on your journey...this is part of a "lifestyle change." You can have the hamburgers once in a while... just get back on plan RIGHT NOW... it is much easier to burn off 700 extra calories than it is to burn off 7000 extra calories from a binge.

you will do fine.

and PS... I have OCD too... I am currently on Xanax which seems to help... only my OCD is with even numbers... if I have one french fry, I HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER to make it 2

Last edited by 170starting; 06-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

One burger and fries is not going to derail all your progress. You may retain a little water if the fries were real salty but that will come back off. One pound of fat is like 3,500 calories, I do not think one burger and a side of fries is that many calories. Enjoy the field trip. Maybe next time you could pack your own lunch so you do not panic at the choices you are given.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuajblue View Post
This is not a huge deal. I repeat, this is not a huge deal....unless YOU let it derail your success. One burger and fries will not make you gain back the weight you have lost. One burger and fries will not keep you from losing weight this week. Now, if you tend to bloat with salt, and you know you will throw in the towel if you see a 3 lb gain on the scale tomorrow, STAY OFF THE SCALE for a day or two. I've lost 30+ lbs since January. I've had burgers. I've had fries. I've had plenty of other indulgences, and it is okay.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 148/135/118

Height: 5'4"

You ladies are amazing. Thank you!!!!!
psuajblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/131 (for now!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeebell View Post
This is not a huge deal. I repeat, this is not a huge deal....unless YOU let it derail your success. One burger and fries will not make you gain back the weight you have lost. One burger and fries will not keep you from losing weight this week. Now, if you tend to bloat with salt, and you know you will throw in the towel if you see a 3 lb gain on the scale tomorrow, STAY OFF THE SCALE for a day or two. I've lost 30+ lbs since January. I've had burgers. I've had fries. I've had plenty of other indulgences, and it is okay.
AMEN. I would not be able to diet if I didn't have a little bit of indulgences every now and then! Even if its a 23-calories hard caramel candy, it's good enough for me! I have a major sweet tooth, and no diet is going to stop me from having my sweets. You just have to eat what you want in moderation and not binge, as others have said.
elizabethyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

It is not a big deal and life happens. But, if in the future it presents itself again (read, it will happen again), there are things you can do to help yourself. Skip the ketchup and sauces except mustard (learn to enjoy your food without ketchup - easy for me to say because I hate those things) and skip the hamburger bun - just empty simple carb calories.

But no, a burger and fries are just a burger and fries - not some powerful weapon to throw you completely off.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 06-21-2011 at 02:00 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Of course it won't derail your progress. Eating nothing but burgers and fries for months, that would cause problems. The important thing is not so much that you went off-plan for a single meal, but how you leap back on plan afterwards. It sounds like you know this rationally and are just having trouble convincing yourself on other levels.

I did them as planned treats rather than unplanned accidents, but last month we got pizza *and* went out for dinner the next night, for our five-year anniversary. I worked around these heftier meals to make sure that my overall calorie count for the week stayed good. The software I use does an average for each week, though you could do that manually if you like, so I simply lowered my calories for a few days afterwards until they balanced again. Would that work well for you, or would it set off the OCD again?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 317/273/130

Height: 5'5"

This past weekend I was out with family and we had lunch at a little shop before going into some caverns. They only had hamburgers, cheeseburgers, pulled pork sandwiches, and chips. I thought I'd get the pulled pork for a better choice than burger and chips. Well... it was HUGE!!! I ate every single bite because it was so good. Then we took everyone for dinner at a Mexican restaurant. My usual self would have said "I blew it earlier" and would have way over indulged at dinner. I tried to not do that but did have a couple of glasses of sangria, which I almost never drink alcohol. Next day... no weight gain. I was shocked because at the least the extra sodium moves the scale up for a day. Did I mention the BBQ was HUGE... and the two glasses of sangria?

So if circumstances don't let you choose otherwise, just enjoy what you have and compartmentalize it into "one meal" and not let it effect the rest of the day.
Redgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

Look at it this way- it was one day. It will only effect the rest of your life if you let it. There is not one person on this forum who can say that they've never gone off-plan; HOW you deal with it that makes the difference.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Get back on plan and continue on your journey.

Last edited by Kaonashi; 06-21-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197.6/185.2/150

Height: 5'3

I eat a burger and fries probably once a week. I love burgers and fries! I just cut the burger (sometimes substitute beef for turkey) in half and eat half the fries. I make sure I work out that day and drink plenty of water. I refuse to diet.....I eat in moderation, try to incorporate healthier foods, and exercise, but I will not give up my favorites. So far, it's working!!

Don't worry, you didn't derail your success!! There are ups and downs with weight loss and you can always recover and keep losing.
Angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/131 (for now!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
I eat a burger and fries probably once a week. I love burgers and fries! I just cut the burger (sometimes substitute beef for turkey) in half and eat half the fries. I make sure I work out that day and drink plenty of water. I refuse to diet.....I eat in moderation, try to incorporate healthier foods, and exercise, but I will not give up my favorites. So far, it's working!!

Don't worry, you didn't derail your success!! There are ups and downs with weight loss and you can always recover and keep losing.
Amen, sister! I cannot, repeat: CANNOT give up my favorite foods. I love your moderation mantra, I live by that as well! Hopefully it'll stick and help those pounds melt off.
elizabethyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #13  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

It's like that saying about if you trip down a couple stairs, you aren't going to be like: "oh well! I tripped! Better throw myself down the rest of these stairs here." A burger and fries is something to enjoy and then move on. No need to get derailed over a meal. Sometimes I NEED a good, juicy burger... (Luckily, I HATE fries. ~gag~)
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #14  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

Height: 5'6"

I am not sure what eating plan you follow, but you sure didn't de-rail your success.

For what it's worth, I eat anything I want, just in amounts that fit into my calorie allowance. That includes things like occasional chocolate, wine, pizza and fries. I lost weight and am still losing.

Main thing is to not set yourself up for a fall by being too strict with your eating plan. Helps if you build in capacity for things you don't usually eat. The OCD part of you will likely get you back on track.
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote