Mini-Goal Photo Album Share your photos along the way and show us how far you've come!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

Default Half the Woman I Used to Be. Literally.

I had a deal with myself that when I reached this mini-goal, I would post my pictures. I have been bouncing between 166.4 and 170 for 6 weeks now (trying to kick my first plateau while I was straddling this HUGE goal has been really discouraging, but I sallied forth!) This morning, I hopped on the scale and finally saw my magic number: 166 pounds which is also the amount of weight I have lost thus far. I weigh exactly half of what I weighed 18 months ago.

I still have 26 pounds to lose before I reach the "normal" BMI category. I am calling 140 lbs my 'high maintenance' weight. I am not sure how low I want to go weight-wise. I do know that I would like to get down to a size 6 (currently a size 10, down from a 26/28W), although I am pretty muscular so that may not be possible.

Here are a plethora of pics:
[1] Closest "before" face picture I have , but not at my max weight

[2] Current face shot

[3] 44 pounds down / current front comparison

[4] 44 pounds down / current side comparison

[5] In-progress face collage

[6] The only picture of me at max weight, but its a shot of my back

________

In January 2010 I had had enough. I weighed 332 lbs, was diagnosed as diabetic (just barely over the line for that diagnosis), had fatty liver disease, and had trouble walking a block. I lived with aches and pains day in and day out (I realized this later - at the time, I just thought pain and discomfort were part of everyone's life). I was also scared that my husband, who is 12 years younger than me, would be left wifeless at an early age if I didn’t straighten up and get healthy. I toyed with the idea of surgery but after a couple of days of investigating, I realized that that was not a healthy option for me. Although I had never attempted to "diet" before, I knew I could make healthy life changes that would result in weight loss. I have called what I am doing my "sheer strength of will plan" from day one.

I started clean eating and calorie counting (about 1400 a day, but that number has varied over time). I stopped consuming sugars, white flour products, and 95% of processed foods in general. I limited meat to 4oz or less a day. The reason I went the clean eating route was pretty simple: with only 1400 calories allotted, I had to be able to fit in all the nutritional requirements our bodies need in a compact way. I used Superfoods RX and In Defense of Food as my manuals for proper eating. Additionally, I am a bulk eater - I love the feeling of being full (which is actually a habit I am trying to break now, but that is a subject for a different post). The easiest way to get full on fewer calories is to eat loads of veggies, which I do to the tune of 9-12 servings a day. It helps that I LOVE to cook, and I am really good at it. I have been able to make really great meals using mostly veggies, very little oil, and healthy alternatives to higher calorie ingredients.

Within a month of making these changes, I was down 27 pounds and was no longer diabetic. I lost 137 pounds in the first year on eating habits alone. Three months ago I had an MRI done and my fatty liver striations and tumors have cleared up, so I am no longer considered having fatty liver disease. I could list a lot of negative things here that I no longer have; my list of "things I didn't know I couldn't do but now that I can I am amazed" would be twice as long.

In January 2011 I started to exercise. I started just by taking 20 minute walks. Then I added some distance. Soon, I added small bursts of light jogging. I started out at 15 seconds of jogging followed by 8 minutes of walking for 4 cycles. I thought I was going to die Over time, I added to the jogging by 30 seconds, while taking away from the walking and have continued this pattern. Today, I jog for 32 minutes, walk for 3 minutes and then finish with another 6.5 minute jog (about 3.5 miles total). I do this every other day. My goal is to be able jog the whole distance and once that is reached, I will start working on speed. I am trying to work up the motivation to add free weight toning on my off-running days, but I am having a really hard time starting.

-->UPDATE July 28 2011 : I am now jogging a full 5k (3.1 miles) every other day which takes me about 42 minutes. On the off days, I did start my toning DVD (my shoulders are starting to look awesome!!!) and then I take a 45 minute hike up the HUGE hills around the house. I dropped my calories a bit at the same time and the result is that the plateau I was in finally broke.

I also decided that I am switching my weight goal. 140 is my next milestone goal ('normal' BMI) but my ideal weight range will be 127-132.

There is loads more details in my blog, which is linked in my signature if you are interested

edited to add [because so many people have commented]: 1) the guy is all the pics is my hot hubby. and 2) I made the octopus necklace. In a fit of shameless self promotion this is a link to my flickr page of my craftsy stuff, and if you IM me, I will send you my Etsy link

Last edited by Pacifica Bee; 07-28-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added info
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #2  
No description available.

Dang, girl!!! You should be so proud! I am so impressed with what you have done and those health milestones are so great!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #3  

Wow. Your story just made me so happy (in a life-affirming, amazed at the capacity and determination of a fellow human being kind of way). Such an inspiration!
Yakulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #4  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

I can't believe how much what you wrote sounds like it came out of me, LOL if anyone here can relate to you it's certainly me.

Awesome work girl... strength of will indeed.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

all i can say is holy.. F BOMB!!!! YOU LOOK FANTASTIC! That is AMAZING!!! Serious, you should have heard me.. I even said it out loud! haha
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #6  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal.

I think, everything aside, the best part of becoming healthy after being morbidly obese......... is just being healthy.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #7  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Your story is very impressive. You look terrific. Great job!!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

Amazing job! Good luck with your running and with toning/ free weights! You really look wonderful; congrats!
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #9  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

Great job girlfriend
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #10  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

You've made an amazing transformation! Congratulations; you look fantastic, and I'm sure you feel great.

ETA: That octopus necklace in the first picture is awesome! Did you make it?

Last edited by Beck; 06-16-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

Thank you everyone! You are all so kind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck View Post
You've made an amazing transformation! Congratulations; you look fantastic, and I'm sure you feel great.

ETA: That octopus necklace in the first picture is awesome! Did you make it?
Yes I did. She is out of polymer clay and pearls
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Incredible. Truly.

Congratulations.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #13  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

You. are. amazing.

Congrats for all your hard work.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

Your journey is quite amazing! Its so nice that you kept taking photos periodically. Maybe that is something I should do...
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

You look amazing! You ARE amazing!

Also, I love how your smile evolves throughout your collage
yossarianlives is offline   Reply With Quote