Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #1  

Default On a mission; help me out!

I need some help with a mission of mine. I just moved home for the summer, and after a year of eating in a dining hall at my college, I find myself short of recipes. Now that I'm trying to find things that my whole family, and especially my father - who struggles with his weight and makes the rest of us struggle with his picky eating - I'm hoping to find a way to walk the line between healthy and appetizing meals.
I think I have a solution. I want to have a big sampler night - and that's where I need some help! I want to hear about all of your favorite healthy foods, the recipes you love, and all the things you never would have thought to eat, but love. I'm hoping to get some amazing recipes from you, cook many different miniature dishes, and try to find things that my whole family will eat and that will help us all become more healthy. Any ideas? I want crazy-healthy food that tastes delicious, which may be a lot to ask, but I'm hoping some of you will have at least one brilliant recipe you would be willing to share.
Can't wait to start cooking!
Viatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

This is my current fave: http://danicasdaily.com/the-best-spi...hicken-recipe/
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Here's one your Dad might like.

Stuffed Peppers-8 servings
Approx. 250 cal. per pepper

Make sauce: Lightly brown 2 cloves minced garlic in sm. amt of olive oil
in a pan over med. high heat, about 30 sec. Add 2 sm. cans tomato sauce
and 2 cans tomatoes in garlic, basil and oregano. Simmer for 10-15 min. until thickened, mashing w/ a potato masher to break up tomato chunks. Set aside.

Make rice: Bring approx 1 1/8 cup water to boil. Add one beef bouillon cube or comp. amt. of granules. Stir in 1/2 cup rice. Cover and simmer 20 min. Set
aside.

8 medium green bell peppers
About one pound lean ground turkey (my pkg was 1.2 lbs.)
onion powder to taste
garlic powder to taste
salt and pepper to taste
ground italian seasoning to taste
couple of sprinkles of worcestershire sauce
cooked rice
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
tomato sauce, prepared above
grated cheese

Directions: Remove tops, membranes and seeds from peppers. Blanch (in batches if necessary) in boiling water, then shock in ice water. Put upside down on paper towels to drain.

In a large skillet, brown turkey with onion powder, garlic powder, salt/pepper, italian seasoning and worcestershire sauce until no longer pink. Stir in rice and tomatoes and simmer a few minutes.

Spray large baking dish with cooking spray. Ladle a small amt. of prepared tomatosauce in bottom of dish. Fill peppers to top with turkey mixture and place in dish. Ladle a small amount of prepared tomato sauce over tops.

Place dish in preheated 350 degree oven and bake for about 50 minutes, ladling a small amount of sauce over tomatoes every 15 min. After last sauce application, sprinkle a small amount of cheese over peppers and bake for remaining time, until cheese is melted.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote