South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Default Cheese on P1 and Starting Over?

A couple of questions:
How much is the recommended cheese limited to on phase one?

If I have a food accident (meaning I ate a piece of pepperoni pizza, a handful of potato chips, and a cookie yesterday, and then I ate another two handfuls of chips today) should I start Phase 1 over again from the beginning? Or should I just finish the two week period?

Thanks.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

You're only a few days into phase 1, right? I would start over. A clean phase 2, imho, is really really important. I wouldn't stress so much over a small piece of fruit, but pizza and chips are biggies. I think you'll find that you're more satisfied with your rate of loss if you're not having small cheats.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 161/133.8/135

Height: 5'6"

Stopfat, you will be amazed, if you do a clean phase 1, how much your cravings for carbs will disappear. You owe it to yourself to fight the cravings and give it a try. I was a major sugar addict and it wasn't until I finished a clean phase 1 and was free of the carb cravings that I realized it. You can do it!!!
nanjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #4  

Thanks,
I'm really enjoying phase 1. I didn't even realize that I had cravings or that I might be overeating because of blood sugar spikes. But since I started phase 1 I have felt totally different and I haven't had the urge to binge at all.
Although I don't really want to start phase 1 over again, I suppose that as it is, I set a precedent for myself to eat sporadic junk foods and I really don't want that to continue throughout the whole phase 1 or 2. Besides, if I start again now I can pay more attention to exercise, like I was originally planning to, and I am sure I will be more pleased with the results.
And honestly, the part of myself that is groaning about doing two more days should just be quiet. Really, it's just two days! Although I compromised with my whiny side for two more days, not three, since I only ate the chips in the morning and I did the first day good.

Thanks--any answers on the cheese verdict? I have to skim the SouthBeach SuperCharged library book again, because I don't know how much cheese to eat.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

I think the rule is 2 cheese servings per day, although I am not sure exactly how much a serving is, probably 1 or 2 oz.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

I *think* cheese doesn't really have a limit in phase 1... Just make sure it is fat free or reduced fat. However, eating too much cheese will likely hinder weight loss...
According to the Phase 1 food list in FAQ:

Quote:
CHEESE (Fat Free or Reduced Fat )
for hard cheese, look for varieties that have 6 grams of fat or less/ounce
American
blue cheese does not come in reduced fat so use in moderation
Cheddar
Cottage cheese, 1-2% or fat-free
Feta
Mozzarella
Parmesan
Part-skim Ricotta
Part-skim String
Provolone
Swiss
ETA: I am a carboholic. I can eat a loaf of bread or box of pasta in a day or two. After a clean two weeks of phase 1, I no longer crave those foods. I know that I still love them, but I will allow them slowly back into my life in moderation one day. Right now I am happy with my phase 1.5 meal plan, basically just adding a serving or two of fruits a day. You will feel so much better, physically and mentally, with a clean two full weeks of phase 1. I find that now when I do have a little slip up it is so much easier to not feel guilty or continue down that path of making a whole tray brownies for my dinner or getting a slice of pizza for lunch because I forgot to go grocery shopping. It really does become a way of life. You just have to make it happen.

Last edited by asphyxia63; 06-16-2011 at 08:00 PM.
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

No limit on cheese per Dr. A in the book, but most of us limit it somewhat or expect slower losses.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

A serving of cheese is 1 oz, and although the plan doesn't put a limit on how many servings a day you can eat, it is very calorie dense... There are a lot of us that find that eating more than a serving or two a day will slow or stall weight loss.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

It sounds like you'll go ahead with a restart.

When I started P1, I was keen on the fact that a totally clean two weeks was really important. When I felt like eating off plan, I would remind myself how important this was AND it was ONLY 2 weeks of my life. If I absolutely HAD to eat something I just made sure it was from the approved P1 list. It worked and I got through it and I'm glad I did.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #10  

Thanks all.
I'm going to restart on Sat or Sunday (Saturday makes me nervous as a restart date for some reason), and limit my cheese to around two oz. a day.

Thanks for all the info!