Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #1  

Default Can not enough calories stall weight loss??

I have been working very hard to lose weight. I do not feel that I am losing like I should although I have not cheated on anything. I am doing low carb, no sugar, protein drink twice a day way of eating. I also am doing water aerobics. I am still waiting for the pounds to fall off. I have been doing this for 4 weeks now and have lost approx 11 pounds. I did throw in a little bit of fresh fruit. Example of my day yesterday was... Choco EAS shake for breakfast, another one for lunch along with a salad with cucumbers, green peppers, lemon juice and cracked pepper. Mid day snack was fresh veggies and about 10 grapes, evening meal was grilled chicken, fresh cucumbers and peppers and steamed veggies. I then went to water aerobics for 1 hour. After I finished aerobics I had a few more grapes and a medifast cinnamon roll bar. I am not on medifast, I just have some of the food from my daughter. I drank lots of water. I feel that i am giving it my all and feel that I have not lost what I should. I weigh approx 220 pounds do it is not like I do not have the weight to lose. PLease give back any feedback. Thanks!
msbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #2  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

11 lbs in 4 weeks is awesome - I only lost that much when I was close to 300lbs Also the fruit could be holding you back as it is sugar based. Try leaving it out and see whether that makes a difference. I for one am not a fan of protein replacements as they would not have helped me deal with the cravings for sugary foods. Perhaps you could try exchanging one of the protein shakes for real protein ?? Just some ideas
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

11 lbs in 4 weeks is actually excellent progress.

You're doing just fine. That's very normal.

You didn't put the weight on overnight, and it won't come off overnight.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

UUUhhhh- 11 pounds in 4 weeks is fabulous! I don't know how many calories your meal plan adds up to but your eating plan sounded spot on to me. I like protein shakes and protein bars... you have a nice array of veggies and grilled chicken is a perfect lean protein.

If I changed anything I would exercise more. Perhaps a walk in the morning or something?
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #5  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

11 lbs in 4 weeks is great! Don't be so hard on yourself and don't give up! You are rockin it girl.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

11 pounds in 4 weeks are fantastic ! I think you might br expecting too much.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #7  

I think you are doing great

Also remember that you are losing fat and gaining muscle when you work out, and muscle weighs more than fat. So you can be getting smaller even when the scale does not go down very fast.
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #8  
I think I can...

Yea, what everyone else said. 11 pounds in 4 weeks is phenomenal progress. I think having difficult to attain goals only causes frustration and leads to giving up. You're doing GREAT!
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #9  

Wow, thanks ladies. I must have my goals to high. 11 lbs is good for 4 weeks but I have been seeing way more weight being lost on the Ideal Protein Diet. Someone thought maybe I was not getting enough calories and that is the stall. I guess I really have not had a stall, just not as fast as I would like for it to be. I do not want to completely give up a good for you food group (fruit) just to speed up my weight loss. I will be patient and I do realize that the weight did not come on overnight and it will not go away overnight. Thanks Ladies for all your support.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Remember the point of exercise and protein supplements (ie the shakes) is to preserve muscle while you lose fat. When you do that, you may lose at a "slower" (11lbs is not slow!) rate than someone who doesn't care about eating protein or exercising. However, your body composition will thank you after
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #11  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 209/209/130

Height: 5'6

WOW thats amazing!!! in my weight loss journey im learning if i starve myself my weight does stall and i break down and binge bad =(
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #12  
Struggling Member

S/C/G: 325/...../220

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimicat76 View Post
if i starve myself my weight does stall and i break down and binge bad =(
Yep me too
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:06 AM   #13  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Allow me to repeat what everyone else has told you: 11 pounds in 4 weeks is awesome! That's close to three pounds a week. You can't compare to what others have lost, because every body is different. Some bodies lose more quickly, others shed slowly. Some people are older, younger, heavier, lighter, taller, shorter...you get the picture.

Anecdotally, I can say that yes, insufficient calories can provoke a stall. I stalled out for a month and broke the stall by continuing to eat moderately (I'm a calorie-counter), but ceasing my counting/measuring/weighing of food for a week. I don't know what my caloric intake was--that was the point, after all -- but I'm sure it was higher than the 1500 I've eaten for months. I stalled at 193 and, well, you can see my ticker: now I'm 189 after a couple of weeks or so of going back to counting.

I wouldn't count anything less than a month of standing still as a plateau, though; a lot of people get upset if they don't lose weight two days in a row, but weight loss isn't that linear.

Relax, you're doing great.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #14  

Thanks for the excellent advice. I seem to be jumping around with my eating plan. First it was Ideal Protein (First couple weeks), now I am adding some fresh fruit and nuts along with my shakes and veggies. I am confusing myself. I have always felt that I need to find what works best for me and my body. A few years ago I started the South Beach Diet. I lost very quickly on it. I am trying to put that concept into my own plan. I feel like I am "driving the bus but with a blindfold on". CRAZY!!