Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #1  
I think I can...

Default Anyone have info or know where to find?

I've been calorie counting since January doing pretty well but now I am weighing my foods. I have done an extensive web search but can't find any information on the amounts I should be eating. What is a serving of Chicken or fish? I've found info on what it should look like but not the actual amount. Is a serving of chicken really 3oz? That seems really small. Is rice 2oz? I'm soooo confused!
Any help will be appreciated.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Serving size seems rather arbitrary. If you're counting calories - what difference does serving size make?

I suggest a calorie goal and a protein goal. Everything else is less important.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #3  
I think I can...

Why does that make so much sense when you say it? LOL.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

We all have strengths. One of mine is simplifying data to what is relevant. With dieting - the signal to noise ratio is low unfortunately.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You can't find any information on what you should be eating, because there is no one-size-fits-all amount.

Exchange plans tell you how much of each food to eat, but even so they don't tell you what a single serving is - you decide that based on your food budget.

I do like exchange plans, because they have calorie and carb counting as well as balanced nutrition built in, but even so there's a lot of different recommendations as to which are best (mostly based on personal preference and experiments. I find I do best on a relatively low-carb plan).

for example, I basically follow the 1800 calorie high-protein exchange plan as written,

or I use the 1500 calorie plan and allow myself about 300 calories to spend any way I want.

http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/foodplans.htm

Even in exchange plan dieting though, I get to choose when to eat which foods. I could eat all my protein for breakfast, or I could break it up evenly between meals and snacks.

There are no hard-and-fast rules. Try several variations and see which you like best.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #6  

or LOL!

(since I didn't see John's post as I was formulating mine)

"what he said!"
Old 06-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #7  

Exchange plans do have serving sizes. It has nothing to do with your calorie budget, you are just eating more than one serving. Meat is 3 ounces, pasta and rice 2 oz. uncooked, cooked vegetables 1/2 cup, salad greens 1 cup, fruit 1/2 cup, bread 1 oz., dairy 1-1/2 oz. cheese, 1 cup milk, etc.

If you go to www.mypyramid.gov you can get complete information on what constitues a serving.

I don't subscribe to just count calories. I believe a healthy diet is essential for good nutrition.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Exchange plans do have serving sizes. It has nothing to do with your calorie budget, you are just eating more than one serving. Meat is 3 ounces, pasta and rice 2 oz. uncooked, cooked vegetables 1/2 cup, salad greens 1 cup, fruit 1/2 cup, bread 1 oz., dairy 1-1/2 oz. cheese, 1 cup milk, etc.
Actually, a 3 oz serving of meat would be 3 protein exchanges, not one, and 2 ounces of uncooked pasta would be almost 3 bread exchanges not 1 (because eacfh bread exchange contains 60-80 calories and 2 ounces of dry pasta has about 200 calories).

Now you can choose to look at the exchanges as serving sizes, but I don't think that makes much sense as the word serving size is generally used to mean the appropriate amount per meal. Most people do not consider one ounce of meat or 2/3 oz of pasta as a serving size of either.

Now some diabetic exchange plans DO tell you how much to eat at each meal (because some diabetics need to spreak their calories out in a specific way).
So some diabetic exchange plans may recommend 3 exchanges of meat at a meal (in which case, the serving size would be 3 ounces, but the exchange values would be 3 meat exchanges). So exchange value and serving size aren't entirely interchangeable terms.

You can choose to see them that way - in which case the 3 ounces of chicken would be 3 servings. I don't think that makes a lot of sense if you're wanting to communicate clearly with others, because if you say "I ate three servings of chicken," most people will assume you meant a lot more than 3 ounces.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-13-2011 at 08:29 PM.