Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/175/140

Height: 5'10"

Default When did you really notice your weight loss?

When I look in the mirror I still see the "fat kid". I look in the mirror and still see every single flaw (real or imagined) and think to myself "Man, you've still got a long way to go!" Then today a friend sent me some pictures of an inpromptu medic reunion we had a week ago and I was comparing them with some pictures of when I was about 220 (and I'm 169 now) and thought WOW I've come a LONG way.
That doesn't mean that I think I am finished losing weight. I know that I need to be on the lower end of the BMI scale because I am considered small framed even though I'm 5'10". But as long as I either maintain or lose and not gain I'm ok...a little time and I'll be right where I need to be.
I want to be healthy for me and I want to be my husbands hot trophy wife...not his "voluptuous" wife (when I was over weight when I'd say something about being fat he'd say oh honey you're not fat you're voluptuous!). I want to be able to buy cute bathing suits and not just shop for ones that hid all my flaws. And I want to be able to sit in my $5 beach chairs with out breaking them!
The first picture is of me at somewhere in the 220-230 ballpark...and the second one was taken about a week ago at 169. I just didn't realize the difference until I put them up side by side. Now I will try to be less critical of myself when I look in the mirror....instead of dang, I've got a ways to go I can say wow, I've come a long way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220's.jpg (21.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 169.jpg (14.8 KB, 114 views)
txladymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #2  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

Yes! You have come a long way and it's so clear! It's harder for us to see it cause it's our body and many of us have the fat mentality. I am taking pictures monthly and I see the changes then I second guess myself. But, when others see them it reassures me. So, I can see a major difference, you look great!
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #3  
Struggling Member

S/C/G: 325/...../220

Height: 5' 11"

I started to notice my weight loss when I went to a certain restaurant and I could fit comfortably into a booth without my stomach pressing against the edge of the table.
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/220/140

Height: 5'7

ok seriously, look at your ticket, you lost 100 pounds!!! thats amazing, and it definately shows! im pretty sure you can sit in a 5$ beach chair and not even put a dent in it. im 5'7 (large frame though) and at 165 i felt fabulous. i looked great. yea i didnt have a chizeled body,and maybe not bathing suit ready, but nonetheless, great! at your weight and height, you're small! and you look fab!. youve made it so far, you will reach your goal and be all those things you're wishing!

Last edited by aggie2006; 06-10-2011 at 03:38 AM.
aggie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Look at those pictures! What a difference

For me it took about 50 pounds the first time to notice any difference.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #6  
At it again

I already notice a difference. Not in a "holy cow!" sort of way, but I see it and feel it in the way my clothes fit. I've lost the bloat in my face/neck. Every once in a while, I'll catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and be pleasantly surprised.

And yesterday, my 21 yo son, who's usually oblivious to many things, stopped mid-sentence while telling me a story to say, "Hang on. Ma, you're really looking skinny." Now at 196, I am NOT looking skinny. I am, however, looking skinnier.

And txladymedic, your are correct! "Wow, you've come a long way!" Congrats!!!
rmc9142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #7  
I think I can...

You really do look great! What a difference in the 2 photos. It's just harder for us to notice the differences because we live in the body.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

If you look at a lot of before-and-afters on this site -- and I do, because I don't get tired of seeing people exult in their transformations & marvel over what their hard work has gotten them -- you'll find out many have these things in common:

1) The person posting can't see it but the photos can really help.

2) The best way to compare is, in the "after" photo session, to wear similar clothing & to stand at a similar angle to the "before" picture. I can see a difference in your pictures, but it would be more marked if you were posed the same way & wore the same fit & sleeve length & etc.

3) I called it a "photo session" for a reason. Make it an occasion. Do this for yourself: Take your time setting it up. It's for a good documentary reason. It's not meant to be clipped to a resume or to serve as a boudoir photo or to model a great outfit. It's not a moody self-portrait for an art class. It's just a way to help your head accept the reality of your weight loss & to help you forge an updated, truer-to-life self-image in your head. You don't have to share it, but I really think you may want to.

BTW, I see you've got a belt on in the "before" photo. I'd be interested to see what notch that belt is on now. That's a pretty tangible way of measuring how your body has changed.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I never really "notice" it. I've been struggling with my weight all my life, and even tho I can compare "fat" and "not so fat" pics of myself and SEE the difference quite clearly, I'm always fat in my mind. Even when I was a puny, skinny 103 lb hi-school girl... I still felt... FAT.

I'm definitely working on that head-****. Esp now that I am 2 years from a half century old, I simply must find the power to stop being fat in my mind when my body has made it to its goal.

And txlady, you've done an AWESOME job!! I definitely see the difference on you!!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 06-10-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #10  
Ready for final round!

S/C/G: 217/189/168

Height: 5'3

amazing!
HeatherEljohari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #11  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
BTW, I see you've got a belt on in the "before" photo. I'd be interested to see what notch that belt is on now. That's a pretty tangible way of measuring how your body has changed.
This is a huge measure for me. The belt I'm wearing today used to cinch on the 2nd set of holes. It's now cinched on the 6th set of holes - and that's after only 23 pounds!

My size 18 jeans are too big in the waists. My size 16 shorts are all too big in the waist. (And there you have the wacky sizing in today's world!) My XXL shirts are all too big.

It's a good problem to have!
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/175/140

Height: 5'10"

That belt...I would have to poke holes in the belt to wear it lol.
txladymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

You look great!

I'm with the others who've recommend the before-and-after photo shoots. I'm doing mine every ten pounds. Now that I've lost 30 pounds, I can see the differences without having to compare photos, but it took me a while and it was a photo that sparked the recognition.

Beyond that, I always go by my husband's comments about how many of my ribs he can feel when hugging me, lol.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 349/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I've only just now started to notice a difference after losing 35 pounds. I can feel more it my clothes than I actually see it, though.
glassmenagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP916 View Post
This is a huge measure for me. The belt I'm wearing today used to cinch on the 2nd set of holes. It's now cinched on the 6th set of holes - and that's after only 23 pounds!

My size 18 jeans are too big in the waists. My size 16 shorts are all too big in the waist. (And there you have the wacky sizing in today's world!) My XXL shirts are all too big.

It's a good problem to have!
Totally off topic, but really? Admittedly, I'm shorter than you, but only a few inches. I'm around 201 now and am pretty solidly in a 20W. I have a few 18W (from Lands End) that are a bit baggy, but mostly I'm in a 20W. I had a size thread a long time ago, and it confirmed that I need way bigger clothes than most people my height and weight. I'm used to that, but every once in while something pops up and I'm taken by surprise again.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote