Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

Default Slimmies weight loss chocolates

Has anyone tried Slimmies Weight loss chocolates?!?
I went over to the states and saw these at Walgreens. They weren't super expensive so I got 2 boxes.

According to the box, it's suppose to delay absorption of fat and help you feel full so you eat less.

I ate one last night before my dinner (mall food court....) and I did feel fuller when I was eating and I actually didnt finish my greasy carribean food (I'll post a pic of the plate on my tumblr food blog!). Crazy thing was, they actually taste like chocolates!! Well, chewy chocolate.. Kinda like toffee.

But.... Has anyone else tried this??? Do they work?? And the question I always ask, what's the active ingredient. .....I should do more research.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I wish I could tell you! I was hoping someone would respond but no such luck. Please keep us posted on how it's going because it does sound like an interesting product!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #3  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

According to Amazon.com, the ingredients in Slimmies are:

Quote:
Polyglycitol Syrup, Glucomannan, Palm Oil and/or Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa Powder, Natural Flavors, Chocolate Liquor, Mono & diglycerides, Soya (Soybean) Lecithin, Salt, Sucralose
Glucomannan is the only weight-loss ingredient in the list, but it's a dietary fiber that expands in the stomach, so it isn't a dangerous stimulant or anything dreadfully unhealthy for you.

It looks like these things fall into the "can't hurt, might help" category of products. They look similar to the old weight-loss candy of the 1970s and early 1980s, "Ayds" (you can see why those went off the market). Ask your doctor about them the next time you visit, but these look pretty harmless. If they're working for you, awesome.

Just remember that you can also bulk up on fiber in fruits and vegetables that offer more volume and variety along with their fiber.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #4  
Love me.

S/C/G: 207/T/135

Height: 5'10"

I have no idea, but I looked at your blog and was drooling at the pictures! Keep up the good work!
AshleyLaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #5  

thanks for the info Nola-Celeste!!
AshleyLaurent - thanks hun! i try to be accountable on my blog and post picture of almost everything i eat.. sometimes i get so excited to eat it, i forget to take a picture. lol

so i actually spent some time looking up info on this glucomannon stuff and i found some pretty "nice sounding" info on its weight loss properties and also Dr. Oz saying that its one of the best weight loss ingredient?????? (Sorry, I dont watch much tv but is he some tv personality?? )

"Glucomannan – Also Known as Konjac Mannan Root; as found in PGX

Soluble fibers such as Glucommannan and Konjac Root fibers offer many health-promoting benefits through their ability to form a soft gel with water. Research indicates that soluble fibers help lower blood cholesterol, slow glucose absorption, lowers the Glycemic index and promote regular bowel movements. While found in many sources such as fruits, vegetables, oats, and beans, the most-promising soluble fiber may come from Glucomannan. Derived from konjac root, glucomannan has an extraordinary water-holding capacity and is the most viscous of all known dietary fibers.

Glucomannan offers benefits for those seeking to lose weight. Studies show that supplementing with glucomannan enhances the weight-loss effects of a calorie-restricted diet. Glucomannan may promote weight loss in obese adults, even in the absence of a calorie-restricted diet. When obese adults consumed 1 gram of glucomannan fiber one hour before each meal for eight weeks, they lost an average of 5.5 pounds of body weight—with no other changes to their eating or exercise patterns.

Glucomannan creates a feeling of satiety or fullness through its water-binding effects. By creating a thick gel, glucomannan delays gastric emptying and slows the release of sugar into the bloodstream, which helps to lower levels of insulin and blood glucose. Additionally, glucomannan improves blood-lipid profiles and can lower systolic blood pressure. Because of these effects, glucomannan can greatly benefit individuals with metabolic syndrome or diabetes."

There's more info on the page about clinical research studies and it "SOUNDS" convincing. but i guess i gotta take it longer to see if it really does help me lose weight....

So far.. I noticed that it really does make me feel much fuller when im eating and I dont end up eating as much/finishing my meals..i decided to only eat it before lunch and dinner b/c i find myself able to control my breakfast eating habits.. ill take that as a good sign!! the rest about forming a gel with water.. i guess i would only be able to tell if my stomach was a glass jar! hahaha

pleasee!! if someone else has tried this, let me know..Thanks!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #6  
it's always something

According to their website, a box of 30 retails for $24.99. As Nola pointed out, the only ingredient in them that might help with weight loss is the glucomannan. This is a fiber that swells when you consume it with water, helping you to feel full. Glucomannan is also used in the food industry as a thickener and has a gelling effect on foods.

You can purchase this ingredient on its own for a fraction of the price. You can usually find a bottle of 180 servings for under $10.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/217/130

Height: 5'3"

I love you blog idea! Do you mind if I steal it?? haha! I need to start being accountable for my eating :// lol
sacal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

FWIW, shiratake (konjac) noodles are pure glucomannan. They have an odd texture, but I have used them to make an extremely low-cal "pad thai".
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #9  

Suzanne - thanks for info! yes.. if i remember correctly, i paid about that per box. its a great suggestion to buy glucomannon on its own as well - does it come in pill form? im not really a fan of eating pills, even if its just fibre... i guess it would also be nice to know how much of it is in one serving??

For me so far, I really like these because they're chocolates!! eating chocolate while being on a diet is a definite no-no so i think of them as a double whammy because i get to eat chocolate and it can also help me lose weight or at least make me feel full so i eat less. lol.. i guess thats how i justify them...

Sacal96 -thanks hun! of course not! let me know your blog name so i can follow you! i use tumblr b/c i can easily post with my phone. i wish i could take fancier pictures with a nicer camera and upload but i just dont have the time!

Yoyoma- Thanks for the suggestion! can you buy these noodles just anywhere?? they look japanese, so do i have to go to an asian grocery store??
Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #10  

Hi Chez.. I've been following your blog and decided to try Slimmies. They are awesome and I absolutely LOVE them. It's the only chocolate that i know you are allowed to eat when trying to lose weight. Thank you! Your food looks great and you give awesome recommendations
kianamom247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You could also look at metamucil or benefiber as well if you want to try other fiber solutions.

Another option for chocolate in your diet is dark chocolate, it is good fo you.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #12  

I'm not a fan of grainy fiber drinks and I absolutely LOVE chocolate. I could eat chocolate all day!!! That's why slimmies is the best of both worlds. I get the fiber to fill me up and I get the chocolate for my sweet tooth.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #13  

i had to find this post again b/c i have been taking this stuff for around a month now and i thought i would give you guys an update/my review/my progress.

as Nola said - i would agree that these fall in the "cant hurt, might help" category. and i really think that they have helped me with my progress so far.. so im really happy about this.

to be honest, "helping" me lose weight is good enough for me since they taste like chewy chocolate. within the past month, i have been losing around 2 lbs a week which is much better than the 1 ish pound (if even!) i was losing when i first started...I have lost 9 pounds in the past month! i did up my walking (during lunch for around 10-15 mins 2-3 times a week and wherever i can from 0 before), i have been eating the same foods but i have noticed that these things make me feel fuller so that I do not eat as much. That is always a plus since sometimes i really have no self control when it comes to eating..

They taste like chewy toffee caramelly chocolate and sometimes when im bored, ill nibble on one to savor the chocolate taste/just to eat something yummie..

suzanne did mention about buying the active ingredient for a fraction of the price, but i am not a huge fan of taking pills and i think there is a powder form but im not sure what to do with it!!....i guess i will stick with these chocolates!

All in all, I am really happpy with my Slimmies chocolates - so happy i have asked my friends from the states to go to Walgreens and buy me some more. haha. i just hope i dont hit a block and my weight loss slows down.. please wish me luck!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #14  

just reading over my post. forgot to mention that i do exercise (or at least try to - run, yoga, bike) when i can and i eat 3 meals a day with 1-2 snacks in between each meal (mostly fruits and nuts). i usually eat my slimmies before lunch and dinner since i eat oatmeal with cranberries for breakfast every morning and i dont have a problem controlling my food intake until the afternoon.

!! just wanted to be clear that on top of Slimmies. i am also making a conscious effort and taking additional measures to my weight loss..
Old 07-24-2011, 02:29 AM   #15  

Default Weight loss update

THANK YOU for your recommendation! I LOVE the Slimmies chocolates and since my last post, I've been able to lose 16 pounds and now I want to add exercise too to see how much better the results will be.
ps. I love your blog! your food looks sooo delicious. yummmmmm