Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

Default Traveling Woes

Hey everyone! I've been pretty absent the last few weeks. A big part of that was getting ready for this work trip I am currently stuck on.

I am away from home for 3 weeks with no gym and stuck in the desert where it's way too hot (for me at least ) to do anything active outdoors most of the day. I've been making a token effort to stay on plan, but I'm still worried that my metabolism is going to slow down again without the activity level I have been driving myself with for the last few months. Noooooo!

I don't have a scale here, or a tape measurer. I decided my goal until I get back home will be to just try to maintain, and get as much activity as I can, forcing myself to be creative. I've tried to start incorporating some body-weight activities like push-ups and squats and things that I don't usually do to substitute for my normal weight training... and I attempted chin-ups at the local park even though without my weight-assist it was a miserable failure.

I can't wait to get back to my bike and my gym and my regular meal selections!
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I think aiming to maintain is a healthy and realistic goal!

I'm impressed at how you're trying to get creative to stay as active as possible while traveling. It's not an easy thing. So keep at it!

No matter what happens, you will be very happy you made every attempt to be healthy and active while traveling! Hope to hear how your progress is when you get back ^^

Last edited by Lovely; 06-09-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 258/208/140 REDO 268/267/140

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Lovely 100% ! The fact that you are working to stay on track with what you can control is going to make you feel so good! Focus on the stuff you can control and don't let the stuff you can't worry you!
duinmiownthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

If you're in a hotel, see if you can walk the hallways and stairs. I find that a very helpful, easy option when I'm stuck indoors. And if you start and a lower floor and walk a hallway, then up to the next floor, you'll raise your heartrate nicely.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Check at the front desk at the hotel if they have an arrangement with a local gym that you can use. My gym offers short term (1 wk) memberships to the guests at a nearby hotel. Or go to different gyms around town and get 'free trials'. Not the same as what you are accustomed to but maybe in a pinch?

Living in the SW, my advise is to get out very early in the morning. I am usually up with the first pre-dawn chirp. I work in my garden, walk the dog, etc. Very enjoyable.

Eating out is the toughest part of weight loss while traveling. Even in town, I like to order a to-go box right away so I can get a true serving size meal. If the left-overs won't keep, its okay to toss them out. Its about portion control not fiscal responsibility.

Good luck with your first maintenance plan!!
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Try to think of this as a time to break out of your regular comfort zone with exercise. There's all sort of things you can do from your hotel room that are super hard and aerobic that can get your heart pumping.

Here are exercises that I hate (which means they're hard):
Mountain Climbers
Burpees
Squat Jumps
Stairs (depends on your hotel, of course)
Invisible Jump Rope
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

My trip would be a little bit easier in the work-out front if I were staying at a normal hotel. But my colleague I am collaborating with insisted on finding me a more home like environment. The hotel is adorable and charming, but.. It's a converted house with 6 rooms. There are no stairs, no front desk, no gym membership arrangements...

All of the closest gyms I have been able to find require proof of local residence in order to get their week free trial memberships! Curses, it's like they're trying to avoid people doing exactly what I want to do or something.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will keep myself moving as much as possible here, and get back to a fun level of exercise when I get home.
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote