Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #1  
Woooo Hooooo :)

S/C/G: 266.8/235/175

Height: 5'6

Default Week 3 weigh in & kinda bummed

SO today was my week 3 weigh in & I only lost 1LB this week. It is so dissapointing after seeing the scale move 4-6 LBS per week. My goal is to lose 2lbs per week from here on out. Now I've got to hope for a 3LB week so I will be back on track. I know its still a loss but I don't know what else I can do to lose more weight besides go to the gym. Which I have been wanting to do but it is nearly impossible while I am working 12s. Usually 6 days a week. *sigh* ANY ideas or tips that can help me jump start my metabolizim?
PBmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't have any tips, but I do have advice: Go easy on yourself. Any loss is a loss, and not only can you not expect to continue to see the kind of losses you saw the first 2 weeks, but you need to give your body time to adjust. If I'm reading your ticker right, you've lost 13 lbs. in 3 weeks? You're doing great! Just need to relax a little and keep doing what you're doing.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but sometimes the weight loss will just slow down and there's not much we can do about it. Our bodies aren't machines and won't consistently respond to the same set of factors, day in day out.

That being said, it's hard to help you kick-start weight loss again without knowing what you're currently doing. Some people argue for upping your calorie intake by 200/day for a day or two; others suggest zig-zagging (increasing then decreasing your cals from you normally consume); others detox using various methods like severely restricting carbs; still others become extra-vigilant about sodium in case they're retaining water. The long and the short of it is, some things work for some people. Personally, I just keep plugging along with my plan even when I stall or slow down.

Oh, and exercising won't necessarily help right away as your body will retain water to repair the micro-tears in the muscles caused by new workouts.

Sorry this isn't that helpful. I guess what I'm trying to say is: don't worry so much! Slow and steady wins the race and all that.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

I think you are doing great! I lost about 10lbs per month in the beginning months, then down to 5-7 a month, now I am lucky to lose 2lbs a month. I've been in "Onderland" since March, and I've had to get super-strict with myself here lately. Next week is 11 months I've been on-plan, and I am 77lbs down. When I started, I thought I'd be able to get the 105lbs I needed to lose off in less than a year. HA! Now, I am hoping to maybe see 80-85lbs at the year mark. But that is OK with me. I feel FABULOUS. Keep going.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #5  
I think I can...

You're being hard on yourself. 1 pound is still GREAT!! Congrats.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
If I'm reading your ticker right, you've lost 13 lbs. in 3 weeks?

Actually its 14lbs....I just haven't updated my ticker yet! LOL

I know in my head what you all are saying is true. I am just so frustrated because I KNOW I can do it. Last year when I first started trying to lose weight I had lost 43LBS in 3 months! I was doing everything I am now except I was going to the gym 3 times a week for about 2 hrs each time. After a shoulder injury I slacked and went back to old habits. Then of course there was the holidays and my mom's visit so more excuses. So I was almost back up to where I was before I had lost weight last year.

I just had wanted to lose 50LBS before I left for my road trip to Texas in November. 23 weeks from now and I still have 49Lbs to lose. I haven't seen my family there in 22 YEARS! I know they will love me no matter what I look like but I figured if I had that much off I would at least feel like I looked like a normal person and maybe I wouldn't be so embarrassed. Not to mention I wouldn't freak out over everything I ate while on the drive or while there. I guess I am just being silly and unrealistic. I guess I just figured if I had the same momentum as I did last time then it would be just as easy. I might just have to bite the bullet even if that means going to the gym after work. Just will make for a LONG day! *SIGH*

Thank you all for the pep talk....I know you are all right. Just have to wrap my head around it.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

First of all, your progress so far is magnificent. Truly, you're making changes for the rest of you life. Healthy changes. And that's something to be proud of!

We cannot choose how our bodies decide to lose. We might do everything right one week and "only" lose 1 pound. We might do everything right the next week and lose 3 pounds. We don't get to decide. We can only do healthy things as often as possible, and the scale will eventually follow.

One pound is actually a whole lot of weight to lose in a week, and is well within the healthy range. That old 1-2 lbs per week is actually NOT based on what people lose on average. It's the healthiest -maximum- that doctor's suggest. That's about 1% of body weight per week. Much more and we risk losing too much muscle, not fat.

The first couple weeks is the body losing water weight and getting used to the fact that this "losing weight thing" isn't ending any time soon. It's why so many people lose HUGE the first couple of weeks. After that, though, people "slow down" and the weight comes off as it will. It's normal. The first two weeks, while a great start, are NOT to be used in comparison to the weeks following.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment! Set yourself up for success! 1 pound is great! Half a pound is great! Heck, any step in the right direction is great! Celebrate it There may be times the scale won't show the numbers we want, that doesn't mean we aren't making great strides towards our goals.

Keep at this. You're doing wonderfully
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #8  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

Height: 5'6"

When my weight loss slowed or stalled, I used to remind myself that I didn't GAIN in a linear fashion when I overate for weeks at a time...stayed the same for awhile and then my weight suddenly went waaay up. Same for losing.

Just stay on track, eating in control as you are doing, and the numbers will change when your body is ready. As one poster's aphorism notes on this site, the scale is the most convenient way to measure progress but not the only way (I'm paraphrasing her here). If you have changed your approach to eating, that is a huge achievement in itself. Your new habits WILL bear fruit, you just have to trust in that and be a bit patient.

Wishing you all the best!
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Actually its 14lbs....I just haven't updated my ticker yet! LOL
I'm confused...(what else is new lol)

To get a little better understanding of your plan, I looked back at some old posts of yours. Seems in the mini-goal section you posted a 6.5 pound loss for your first week. Then you said this for your week 2 weigh in:
Quote:
Week #2 is finished now and I have slacked a bit more....I dont want to lose the weight TO fast then have problems later on. However I still lost 3LBS!
Well, that equals 9.5...and you say you have lost 14. The difference between is 4.5. So according to my calculations you lost 4.5 pounds your 3rd week....which is outstanding, considering in week 2 you said you were slacking some. I don't get it??

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-09-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBmama View Post

I just had wanted to lose 50LBS before I left for my road trip to Texas in November. 23 weeks from now and I still have 49Lbs to lose. I haven't seen my family there in 22 YEARS! I know they will love me no matter what I look like but I figured if I had that much off I would at least feel like I looked like a normal person and maybe I wouldn't be so embarrassed. Not to mention I wouldn't freak out over everything I ate while on the drive or while there. I guess I am just being silly and unrealistic. I guess I just figured if I had the same momentum as I did last time then it would be just as easy. I might just have to bite the bullet even if that means going to the gym after work. Just will make for a LONG day! *SIGH*

Thank you all for the pep talk....I know you are all right. Just have to wrap my head around it.
You know your family won't actually care. And really, will they be able to even tell if you've lost 40 lbs instead of 50? No matter what, you're making a difference. You want to make sure you do it in a way you can sustain. What good will it do you or them if you push yourself so hard to lose in a certain time frame that you burn out and regain? You're losing weight, making healthy changes, that's what counts, not how quickly it happens.

Believe me, I understand where you're coming from. We'd all love to lose quickly. Wouldn't it be great if we could be doing all the work of learning to maintain NOW, instead of having to put it off until we're at goal? I have a theoretical goal of getting to goal weight by by 40th birthday. That's 2 YEARS from when I started. There are times when that just seem like forever. So I try not to think about that too much and just trudge on through now.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I always hoped I would go to bed fat and wake up thin......it just doesn't work that way. It's not about what you know you can do , it's about what yout body WILL do, I think you are doing great. Don't be so hard on yourself.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #12  

Thanks Ladies!!!! I really needed to hear all that! I will just keep on doing what I'm doing. I know I am doing good I just need to get over being frantic about it. I really appreciate all of your kindness & had to fight back tears I was so touched. I am so glad to have found such a great place to come to.

LOL @ Lori Bell...You are right of course! What happened was I had changed my weigh in days from Mondays to Wednesdays. So last week I actually had weighed in both Monday & Wednesday with each having a significant loss. Guess I just really focused on only the 1LB from last week wednesday! Sill me!