Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 06-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan despite the tension of sorting, packing, and discarding; CREDIT moi. Found a pair of Led Zeppelin CD's that will serve as my reward for moving a bureau that hasn't been moved in 25 years.

Exercise was going up and down stairs all day, and lifting boxes; CREDIT moi for what it was.

FutureFitChick - Sending supportive thoughts as you wend your way through the genuine concerns about your parents' health and the Sabotaging Thoughts of hopelessness and drifting. Your Indy 500 experience sounds like a shock to any one. We read about the inside-the-track group; sounds like Dante's ninth level. Kudos for giving yourself credit.

CeeJay - Kudos for "on plan today" - that's all it takes.

maryann - I continue to give thanks to all of you who teach 13 year olds and survive.

ChefJoona - Kudos for leaving some movie popcorn; I didn't know that was physically possible, LOL.

pamatga - Kudos for making it to Day 42. Thanks for the reminder that the Beck Strategies can serve to break up short or long term plateaus, as well as maintain a loss.

Gwen - Congrats on those 17 pounds gone with Kudos for enough exercise to make you feel lean. What a feeling that must be! [The Green Book isn't better than the Pink Book - it's got a different organization and a few new ideas. Either one can take a person to goal. Over a duration of maintenance, I've found it nice to have a slightly different perspective.]

Lauren (Bigknitter) - Ouch for the sputtering on your progress. Many folks do find that drinking makes it harder to stay the path. Hope you can find your solution.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 10
Make Response Cards

Below are three sabotaging thoughts that most dieters have. I would like you to create the corresponding Response Cards so that you will have them on hand once you start Phase I.

sabotaging thought:

This is too much work; I don't feel like learning all of these
skills. I don't feel like following my eating plan.
If I compare myself with non-dieters or maintainers, I'll feel resentful. If I compare myself with successful dieters and maintainers, I'll feel better and be more successful myself.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 45.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was a rough one. Too much caregiving and chaos. It showed with my food choices. I could have done better yet I could have done worse. My mom talked about staying here over the weekend into next week. Instead we have devised a plan where we will all travel tomorrow and return in a week if she needs to, for a Dr. appt. Fortunately, I can start over today. My most glaring food defect yesterday was not having my perpetual salad in the fridge. When it's there I always reach for it first. This morning I will prepare it before heading out.

BillBlueEyes, major kudos for OP eating despite the continuing tension of sorting, packing and discarding.

FutureFitChick, you know I take care of my mom. It is very hard sometimes yet I keep reminding myself it's important to take care of me.

CeeJay, OP and gratitude is a nice combination!

maryann, yay for OP during stressful days!

ChefJoona, I hope you are feeling better. Many kudos for healthy eating and exercise.

pamatga, yay for feeling "more empowered than I have ever felt before" after finishing the pink book. I hope you are feeling better very soon.

Gwen, 18 pounds since January is a great success! *credit*

Lauren(bigknitter
), "back on track" is a Beck skill you have applied. Kudos.

GardeningDeb, in the pink book, Dr. Beck suggests weighing every day and tracking it on a chart. I found once I started doing that(without emotion) I could start seeing the trend over long periods of time. I find I am up and down all the time but can see that the general trend is down...even when it's slow.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, I decided this morning to make some physical response cards and attach them to my refrigerator. I seen to be struggling with wanting to eat a meal at 4:30 PM, then eating again when my husband gets home at 7:30 PM. So, I think I will also plan a larger healthy snack so I will stop surprising myself when I want to keep eating at 4:30 PM.

I walked my Saint twice yesterday (~ 1 mile per walk), which we both enjoyed. She loves to go out, but loves to come back too as she gets so hot on that walk. So I try to tuck them in at the beginning and end of the day. I also signed up for a PiYo class and a new personal trainer since my last one (who was incredible) graduated. I miss her!!

I am feeling a little bit better today after identifying some things that I can likely change to improve my weight loss performance. Hopefully that will continue.

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: +0.5 lbs.
Read Advantage Cards two times: yes
Read Response Cards at least two times: no
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: sometimes
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: yes
Did planned exercise: yes
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: no
Tracked today’s food: yes
Left food on my plate: no
Ate only to normal fullness: yes
Identified and responded to a self-deluding thought: no

BigKnitter, get on track! You can do it!!!

BillBlueEyes, hoping you are beginning to see a light at the end of the box tunnel.

CeeJay, I am glad to know you were having a good on plan day yesterday!

Gwen, thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. Great job on the exercise. I, too am exercising more (by choice, not a gym class) than ever. It does feel great and I am so glad my intimidation of exercisers has faded, at least for now.

Lexxiss, great job identifying where you fell down yesterday and making it right today. I am so excited for you that you are only 11 pounds away from your goal!!!!! I appreciated your statement about too much caregiving and will tuck that in the back of my mind for future reference.

Maryann, what is promotion practice? Great job for keeping level headed with all of those young teens. You are a saint!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

Today is the first of the month, the day I change my ticker and it went down 8 pounds. Mind you, if I hadn't changed my ticker since the first of the year, it would also have gone down 8 pounds. My body apparently really likes 179 and really doesn't like other weights in the 170s. I haven't been weighing every day this year, but I have yet to catch a weight between 171.5 and 174.5. Whatever the reason, I am grateful to have fallen off that cliff now and motivated to keep that weight off since it stayed on so long.

I had a grand plan to start a new diet on June 1 when it was apparent that I was on a plateau. Now that I'm off the plateau, I think I will stick with what I've been doing since last fall sometime -- Richard Simmons Food Mover, using the 1200 calorie card but not measuring consistently so that I'm really consuming more along the lines of 1400 calories.

I have had a hard time getting back in the swing of things since getting back from New York. Today and tomorrow, I hope to get that all fixed for myself. A menu for the week and groceries are on that list. Also, exercise.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Coaches: Today I spent in the auditorium with 250 13 year olds practicing for promotion and rain coming down outside. In 8th grade they "promote" they don't graduate. I was a police dog all day with the kids I don't know. The kids I do know were great. Frustrating. But in the afternoon, I had my classes back and we actually had FUN. I played cards with them, joked and one of my students wrote me a nice note of thanks. It is amazing the difference something little like that makes. Still, I have been a choco - rager all day. I remind myself of the anteater I saw at the zoo last month. It never stopped sniffing for food. Just like me today. Credit that I stopped sniffing for 20 mins to write this. Credit I was able to become my old self this afternoon. Credit for being willing to eat a healthy dinner tonite before the ceremony.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

Today I was rewarded with seeing 135 on the scale. I'm on my way back to my winter plateau of 130lbs ! It feels great to see this because, after being one weight for many months, then gaining a few pounds, I am re-gaining confidence that I can make a change if I have a plan.

I saw the pair of antelopes again this morning. Attached is a picture of a lovely buck as he walked past my house.

Maryann - I always relate to your stories about the kids. I taught 8th graders some time ago, and they are such interesting people ! I had a hard time with the discipline, and loved when the kids were sweet.

BillBE - Cool on finding the album. I miss vinyl !

Take Care all !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antelope_1.jpg (25.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #8  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow June 1st

Coaches
*credit* for mailing off my residency submission on the last day it was acceptable: June 1st. Got it all done and sealed up at the post office and after the guy took it from me he reminded me it may get stuck in transit if there is a postal strike on Friday.
Oh.
So i emailed the exec. dir of the studio residency program wiht my sad tale, basically to say "will you allow me to send a replacement package if the strike goes on really long" and he wrote back with three sentences:

Quote:
Well, it's better than the dog ate it. No worries. We'll be on the lookout for it.
I just like that place.

*credit to me for reaching out to smooth my way forward instead of fretting in silence

I haven't been fully on plan but each day is an improvement.

*credit for 3 days of weigh-ins with the wii balance bord: 284, 286.4, 2887 this morning.
humidity + salty food eaten later than normal = heavier morning weight.

*credit for exercise done with the wii yesterday.

Going to bed now. See you coaches in the morning... btw are we really half way through the year already?? Holy Cow.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #9  

Hello Everyone,
Just got done doing my Power90 workout. I am so glad I forced myself to do my workout even though I was saying No, I don't want to in my head. My pounds are not leaving my body easily so I need to be diligent with my workouts and keep working on getting my foods right. I saw in the book that we should pick two diet plans just in case the first one fails so I am thinking about that.

Lexxiss,
I will have to check in the pink book and find the part about weighing every day. Me, I weigh all day so I made a plan to stay away from the scale for a week. My thoughts were weight loss would get easier if I was focused on something else besides the scale. Maybe I will try recording my weight once a day and see how that goes.

Gwen, 18 pounds since January is amazing.

Maryann, So sweet that one of your students wrote you a thank you note.

Pamatga,
You finished your pink book. That's great. I am such a slow reader. I decided to go back and read the beginning over again.

BillblueEyes,
Packing and sorting is so tiring. I moved almost 10 years ago and I still have nightmares about cleaning my previous residence out.

Be back in the morning.

GardeningDeb
Old 06-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Sixteen boxes to the temporary storage unit; CREDIT moi for just moving them instead of stuffing my face instead. DW's dahl for dinner was a comfort food.

At gym, CREDIT moi, I broke the Wednesday spell of the prior two weeks and lifted my heaviest dumbbells. Even better, another guy - slightly younger than me - commented that he was impressed that I pressed the 70 pounders since 65's were the highest he could do. Made me feel great since I have a tendency to compare myself to the powerful young guys doing much more than I am. We chatted about weights and guy stuff. Kinda nice since speaking to people isn't the tradition at my gym.

onebyone - Monster Kudos for making that follow-up phone call - that's taking care of yourself.

FutureFitChick - Yay for spontaneous exercise and signing up for a PiYo class (Pilates Yoga???). An afternoon snack with a cup of tea works for me for staving off the hunger thoughts until a 7:30 dinner. Kudos for working on that seriously.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on those 8 pound gone - even if you feel like it took too long. Eight pounds gone with food-centric trips to Chicago and New York isn't shabby.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for fighting your way through caregiving and chaos. Love the thought of "perpetual salad in the fridge."

Woodland - Nice buck - thanks for the picture. And thanks for the reminder, "I can make a change if I have a plan."

maryann - Yay for playing cards with the kids and introducing them to the notion that teachers might just be people. LOL at your anteater analogy.

GardeningDeb - Yep, sounds like that'll work, "diligent with my workouts and keep working on getting my foods right." Which two eating plans are you considering?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 10
Make Response Cards

Below are three sabotaging thoughts that most dieters have. I would like you to create the corresponding Response Cards so that you will have them on hand once you start Phase I.

sabotaging thought:

It isn't fair. Other people eat whatever they want.
You may know a few thin people who seem to be able to eat whatever they want, whenever they want. I wish I could wave a magic wand and grant you the ability to eat whatever you want and still lose weight. But to lose weight permanently, you will have to limit your portions forever. The moment you start eating too many calories is the moment you start gaining weight. But you're not alone in this! It's true for every dieter and maintainer - myself included.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 45.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends... I had a wonderful visit last weekend from my GS, DS, & DIL. We had lots of out of town company. We celebrated DH's birthday with a cookout for twenty people. My SIL brought a huge cake, cherry pie, snickerdoodles cookies. My DSM (dear step mother) brought Russian Tea Biscuts & cocoanut bars. I have a box of goodies in the freezer for my mom. I will get them out of the house today.

Tuesday was a healthy day - I am grateful.

I have been wearing my new ankle brace for one hour a day. It laces up like an ice skate. So far so good.

I am having a hard time facing getting on the scale.

Billbe - I hope that all you Massachusettes folks are OK with the huge tornado. I've never heard of a tornado there... it's a rare occurence.

Thanks to you all for your continued support.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #12  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GM and GD fellow Beckies!

I think I might be turning a corner on this summer cold. All the extra medicine though is really giving me sharp stomach pains. I am afraid after two months of dumping white, blue and pink pills into me, an old ulcer is flaring up! As BBE says "Ouch!". Side benefit: lots of much needed and deep sleep. I feel better today.

I ordered the Beck "green book" on May 9th and I didn't want to pay anything more than standard shipping so I figured that it would be here by the time I finished the pink one and I could just pick up from where the other left off. Well, it has been past the designated shipping deadline and no book. I e-mailed the book seller on Amazon.com and I haven't heard back from them yet. In fact, I got two Jillian Michaels "Shred" dvds yesterday and I ordered them about a week ago. I'm also waiting on a heart rate monitor that also calculates how many calories I'll burn besides how my heart rate is doing so I can make sure that it is in the right target heart rate to do the optimal best.

One thing I have learned from the "Biggest Loser" machine (hey, I was in marketing for 9 years--I know it's a moneymaker) is that they do not leave anything up to guesswork or estimating with their contestants. They are very precise in how they guide people through the weight lose journey. As Ms. Jillian says, this is about "science".

I don't know if this is possible but I want to simulate the "ranch experience" as much as I can at home. So, I am in my gathering "hunter" mode. Once I get it all together, I am going to crack the whip. I also got my book "Treat Your Own Knees" written by a physical therapist. I did one of my favorite low impact dance (I took dance for 7 years as a youngster and love to dance!) aerobics yesterday and side movements are tricky with my knees. I reinjured my ACL ligament about 6 weeks ago and it has finally rehealed (for the third time!) so I am very aware of correct movement. Supposedly, this aforementioned book is supposed to address this and give me the guidance to "self-treat" it. Here's "hoping to He**" he is right.

onebyone - Glad you made the deadline. I know how time sneaks up on us and before you know it, you go "hey, what happened to that month?"

FutureFitChick -When I get back OP, which is what I have been doing for the past two days, I find smaller meals eaten about every 3-4 hours apart helps me from going over the deep end. Once my equilibrium has returned I can skip snacks. Hunger is not an emergency, yes, but keeping it from going into hyper mode is also desirable as well. IMO. Balance is a word I have on my e-stickie on my desktop.

gardenerjoy - on 8 pound lost! Which Beck skills helped you the most with those lost pounds?

Lexxiss - As they always say in sports, the best defense is a well-planned offense. It especially works with dieting.

maryann - I had teachers like you so when it came time for me to teach religion to junior highers, I jumped at it. Such inquisitive minds! You are an inspiration and certainly buck the current trend we here about "bad teachers".

GardeningDeb - Remember, you can start out with one plan and if it's not working you can use your back up and I would think you could keep trying something until you find the one that your body likes.

BBE- Do you ever stop to wonder how you lived with all of that "stuff"? I play Led Zeppelin all the time. I can't imagine having that music hidden behind something all those years! In fact, I went to one of their live concerts in January 1975. Over 20,000 people. Not as big a venue as they plan nowadays but it was noteworthy. I applied for the lottery a couple years ago when they had the one night gig in London but, alas, my name was not drawn. I wanted to take my son had I been picked. He was there back in 1975--in utero. I always tell him you went to some of the best acts there were that year. Rock on!

Last edited by pamatga; 06-02-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was a good Beck day. I made careful choices and made a it a priority to get on my bike for an extended ride. I went to an appointment with a naturopathic practitioner which is helping me focus on myself as I take care of others. We took a long drivein the afternoon and I really thought through the dinner choices for a healthy option. I brought my trusty water bottle to keep me company while mom and DH sucked down milkshakes. *credit* for all.

BillBlueEyes, great that you were able to break the Wednesday spell at the gym. DH notices, too, that chatting isn't the norm in the weight room.

FutureFitChick, great that you are feeling better after identifying things you can do to improve your weight loss.

gardenerjoy, kudos for sticking with your weightloss principles during a plateau and being rewarded with such a great loss!

maryann, great news that you were able to calm your inner anteater and push through to a healthy dinner!

Woodland, yay for a scale reading which is helping you regain confidence! Thx for the nice pic...I haven't been to antelope country yet this year. It is very close, though. (Just north of Meeker).

onebyone, I'm feeling confident that your application will flow right through but loved the response from the exec. director! Yes, reaching out VS fretting in silence is a great technique. I think it helps clear the path for getting OP.

GardeningDeb , yay for pushing through with your exercise. I think I have mislead you regarding stepping on the scale daily in the pink book. The pink book says 1x/week. I can't tell you at this very moment "where" I got that. My recollection was getting on the scale every day (but only once), thereby eliminating the 6x/day obsession. I travel between two homes and don't seem to have the green book here. I am committed now to finding out. Oops.

Beverlyjoy, yay for a box of goodies in the freezer waiting for an exit from your house. Boy, those goodies are hard getting around!

pamatga, wow! Lots of great ideas and concrete steps taken to power up your WL!

Ok, time to get rolling. We are travelling back over to our other home today. I will miss it here but will enjoy the break from carrying the 50# pup in and out. He will enjoy the break, too, as he is really happy when he can get outside on his own.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #14  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

Default Oh Well - back to counting calories in - calories out

Oh Well, as much as I hate counting calories I MUST admit that it is necessary! No more eyeballing and guestimating. Since I've logged food the past two days it's OBVIOUS that my plateau has been because I've been eating WAY too many calories - albeit HEALTHY foods, but as the saying goes "a calorie is a calorie" and all the extras get stored as fat.

So, I've been VERY busy working out - now belong to TWO gyms and I'm absolutely loving it! I'm so much stronger and feeling amazingly good. I actually thought that muscle was weighing more than the fat I was melting - but after counting calories these past two days - eeeh. MAYBE - just MAYBE that's the case and I've been eating just enough to maintain all those muscles? (just say yes and humor me. )

Everyone's doing so good here! Staying OP and keeping positive attitudes - gotta love it!

Gardenerjoy - YAY for 8 lbs!!!!

Pamatga - I'd going to get the shred cds and work along with you! I bought the JM Hard Bod in a Box cards to take to the gym... Jillian knows how to work those muscles! I've only done the shred on TV, so I'll have to have one of my children teach me how to use the disc player (or whatever it's called.)

GardeningDeb - I'm about to throw that scale away! Daily weigh-ins are getting depressing... up and down everyday, and sometimes as much as 5lbs up - in ONE day - as if!! I'm trying to stick to once a week - but so far have only made it 2 days.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #15  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Question Now it's Thursday.

Hi Coaches

I'm wiped out today. I just want to have a big nap. It's cold-ish here today, but I think the extreme heat from a day ago had me thinking we were in for more of that now.

Apparently not.

Still not sure about this weekend's garage sale. They're predicting isolated showers now, 40% chance of rain. Of course the rain is predicted for the Saturday only. DH's mom called last night wondering if we would postpone again. She says her house is a shambles as she digs out more and more stuff to sell at the garage sale. The more we postpone, the more time she has to find stuff to get rid of. She's a real neatnik so I know the delays are driving her bonkers. DH is selling paperbacks and electronics. Rain is a killer with those items. I have a hard time imagining it but if we postpone I'm off to Ottawa. Hard to imagine. I'm just feeling stuck again...

*credit for weighing in on the wii to see...another gain. +0.2lbs this time. I think I need to get serious about downing my water. 287.2 now I think it said. This weight is all about water retention I can feel it. Soon enough it'll pass if I smarten up.

Today I am drinking white tea. I have a HUGE box of the stuff. I packed it and brought it here so the least I can do is drink this very healthy tea. I am adding about a quarter cup of lemonade to it to make a pseudo green tea citrus drink. Yum.

I am completely avoiding my household duties. I told DH I was cleaning today. OMG I cannot get myself to stay in the kitchen and focus on the dishes. Once I start it'll take about an hour and I'll be done. But I would rather fret about them for hours and hours and days and days. I don't know wha's wrong with me. Today I am feeling depressed. Maybe I do need to work on this place a bit.

Ok going now. Have a good afternoon..
Special hello to silverbirch...
Closed Thread