Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #1  
Boobooyamma

S/C/G: 174/172/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Does Green Tea Actually Work?

Hey... I just joined a Biggest Loser challenge at work... and I intend to win (or lose)... I, er, intend to win the challenge by losing the most weight. LOL

I heard about this stuff that's concentrated green tea that's supposed to help you lose belly fat fast. Basically, it's about 30 cups of green tea per package (or something like that... I don't remember the actual number, but it was a lot) since drinking that much tea is very difficult to do.

Has anyone tried this? How effective is green tea?
boobooyamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The only studies I've seen for Green tea are actually the drinking of green tea. Green tea in tea form seems to be a mild appetite suppressant and it has caffeine which is a mild stimulant the study I've seen most often said that drinking 4 cups of green tea per day for a year could result in a loss of 8 lbs. It might also be a factor that drinking green tea replaced high calorie drinks as well.

As for pills, I'd skip them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #3  
Boobooyamma

Thank you Nelie... I agree with the pills. The stuff I'm considering isn't pills... it's concentrated green tea that you mix with water... kind of like Crystal Light I guess. I know there's no "magic" pill or any quick fix, just thought this might jumpstart something.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/252/150

Height: 5.5

I have read a lot about Green Tea lately and it has many benefits and can aid in weight loss. I am going to give it a try and see if I can stand the taste!
Good Luck
GaYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

Do you mean matcha powder? That is just a special way of processing the green tea leaves, I believe somehow deveining them, and crushing them into powder form. Higher in everything I think. Lol.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #6  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

I've heard that too, but I've also read that you need to drink a fair bit to get the benefits.
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

I used to take Mega Green tea pills (not sure if I got the name right) and the only difference I saw is that I had to go #2 twice everyday usually mornings and nights. Not sure if that's good/bad but at least better than other dieting pills. never took any myself except the one I stated above, but my co-workers told me that it made them sit on the toilet and s**t their brains out. LOL
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I can't answer to the specific thing you're considering, but it's unlikely there's been any rigorous studies done to see if it works. A study reports that something is good for you, marketers start manipulating it so they can sell it to you. Green tea extracts, omega 3 added to all kinds of stuff, etc. You're better off having it in its natural state.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Height: 5'9

There are no magic pills!- I wish there were.
I heard the same thing from a source I like. The problem is how you are going to get 3,000 grams of Green Tea into your body. I found one liquid soft-gel supplement that had caffeine in it (not sure if I want that much caffeine). Also, the gel cap was made out of an odd substance. I accidentally washed 2 caps that were in my jean pocket and 3 washes later there still is residue left behind. I discontinued use after that happened.
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #10  
Boobooyamma

Wow... I was busy for one day and you guys just continued without me! That's awesome... thank you all so much for the advice.

The stuff I'm considering is a powder you put in water. It's super concentrated and supposed to have the power of like 20 cups of tea (not sure of the number, but it was way more than I can ever drink in one day). I am working out and watching what I eat.. I just want a little jump start.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #11  

Green Tea and green tea supplements do help reduce weight. Green Tea increases the body metabolism and that helps reduce weight. Green tea also suppresses the sudden hunger bouts . Apart from the weight reducing properties that it has, Green Tea also helps in keeping cardiovascular, cancerous and gum related diseases away.
hannahgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #12  
it's always something

Unfortunately, the effect from green tea is very, very minimal. As Nelie pointed out, it would take about one year to see 8 pounds lost. However, green tea is very healthy as it is loaded with antioxidants that help protect against disease. This alone is worth the price of a cup

Also it's important to drink the tea and not take supplements, as some studies have shown the supplements to be ineffective.

Drinking tea can also take the place of other beverages that might contain calories, so your diet can benefit in this way.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

I think the benefit is that it is healthy for you and you can use it to help you when you are hungry and stop you from eating something bad or drinking something like soda, juice or wine/beer/liquor.
leganegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #14  

Height: 5'6

I'm not particularly crazy about the taste of green tea but I have noticed that it does seem to curb my appetite and makes me much calmer as opposed to being 'jacked up' on all those coffee drinks, lol.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #15  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

I LOVE green tea! LOVE LOVE LOVE!
I also LOVE white tea... spiced tea... any tea

I can take it without sugar so I know the calories I get from drinking it are pretty much non-existant. I noticed a few things when I quit coffee and started drink a lot more green tea.

1) My acne cleared up a bit.
2) I felt more hydrated (extra water)
3) I wasn't as hungry as usual

I'm not sure it helps you lose weight though... I've heard people say it can, but I haven't personally seen the research on such matters. Either way, green tea is good for you, and it certainly won't hinder your health or weight loss.

I'd be careful about the concentrated powder you're talking about though. It might not do anything, but it might be adding calories (match powder often has sugars added). If it's just concentrated green tea, then I'm sure it's fine. I wouldn't guarantee a miracle weight loss though.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote