Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Saddest closet shopping ever.

I'm a prime candidate for What Not to Wear. I don't care that much about fashion. Even at smaller sizes, mine is a tough body to dress. Then I worked in the field for a year and a half, followed by 7 years in an extremely casual office with the muddy, sweaty men I'd been in the field with traipsing in and out, followed by 3 years of working at home. Add to that the fact that in that time I was often changing sizes, and I never wanted to spend money on clothes in the sizes that fit me. Needless to say, my wardrobe is pretty sorry.

I started at my current job last September and while it's also pretty casual, I do need to get dressed everyday, preferably in something a little nicer than jeans and t-shirts. I spent some money (and some of my mom's) last fall getting myself enough clothes to get by. But now it's spring and I'm scrambling. A lot of things still fit me, and I've shrunk back into a few of my older things, but I definitely don't have a complete spring/summer wardrobe.

A lot of my problem is that the stuff I have in smaller sizes i just shouldn't be wearing whether it fits or not. Yesterday I tried on some jeans that I hadn't dared in a while. And they fit! Well! But. I'm pretty sure I bought them used, probably more than 5 years ago. They're my working in the yard/house pants and have huge patches on the butt. Why do I hold on to stuff like this? Those are probably the worst example, but the other stuff is often along those lines.

I'm definitely going to need to do some shopping, and perhaps with some altering of a few favorite things I'll be able to get by.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

You can always go for staples - black pants, gray pants, black skirt, button down shirts in a variety of colors. Those things are pretty basic and you can wear a pretty necklace or earrings to change it up.
What is a store you would go to that has an online store? I can take a look at recommend some things if it helps - I like to do it
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #3  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
You can always go for staples - black pants, gray pants, black skirt, button down shirts in a variety of colors. Those things are pretty basic and you can wear a pretty necklace or earrings to change it up.
^^^^^^^ Great idea! I do this a lot. I wear black, gray, or khaki pants, but just change up the top and the jewelry. It saves money and closet space!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Your closet shopping and mine are similar except that we've moved so many times, I dumped all those sizes on the way up, but they were in similar condition.

You can find good stuff at goodwill or similar stores. I found quite a few things. It's hit and miss though. I supplemented my stuff with some things from Target and an athletic store. Now (since I'm still a stay at home mom), 75% of what I wear is also what I work out in - killing two birds with one stone.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #5  

Aww, thanks!

The online store thing just doesn't work for me. Seriously, I'm nearly impossible to fit. I just need to slog through lots and lots of clothes before finding something that suits me, and who has time? And money?

My winter wardrobe was basically 2 pairs of black dress pants, 1 pair of gray dress pants, and a few pairs of chinos in black, navy, khaki, and brown. I don't do skirts. I had some sweaters, one or 2 button-up blouses, and various t-shirts with a couple casual jackets and one black jersey knit cardigan that I LOVE but can't find anything else that fits the bill the way this does. I got by. Now it's too warm for the sweaters and jackets, the gray pants and one pair of black are too big. I can still wear the chinos, but they're not flattering, and I ruined the black ones. I do some other black and khaki ankle length pants that I shrunk into that are getting me by. My office is pretty much anything goes, but I don't want to be the sloppy one, you know?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

One thing I'd like to contribute... while you're losing weight, it's not the best time to spend a bunch of $$$$$ on a wardrobe.

My suggestion? Hit up every Goodwill and cosignment store within 50 miles. You can get some GREAT deals and find some very good stuff. I shop at Goodwill a lot, and oftimes walk away with several items that still had tags on them.

That said, I'd like to add that there's nothing wrong w/jeans & t-shirts. You can still be fashionable & be comfortable. I wear a lot of Tshirts. But they're not baggy or plain; they have cool designs and they're more of a fitted variety. And jeans, as we know, come in more colors than just denim.

Good luck on your shopping trip! Make it a fun outing! Maybe go with some girlfriends or something. And remember: Fashion doesn't have to be painful!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yep, I knew I was in trouble with my wardrobe choices when I wouldn't donate my unused clothes to charity due to their condition. If I wouldn't expect people in need to wear them, WHY WAS I WEARING THEM!?!?
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #8  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

I think you could get by for the spring/summer with a few pairs of capri pants. Consider buying something with a stretchy waist that might be able to fit you still if you drop another size. I think T shirts with these are fine (as long as they meet the dress code at work) as long as they are fresh and clean and not our old misshapen favourites

I bought a lot of summer stuff at Old Navy, they have great sales, and at Walmart. Perhaps not where I would always like to shop for work but when I'm working my way down through sizes this is how it has to be.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
Yep, I knew I was in trouble with my wardrobe choices when I wouldn't donate my unused clothes to charity due to their condition. If I wouldn't expect people in need to wear them, WHY WAS I WEARING THEM!?!?
Right?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #10  

Old navy would be a great place to start. Why do you find it hard to find the right sizes? For me, it's all about the cut. Once I realized that, I was able to bypass the dressing room (though I don't recommend that) and purchase successful items. A line skirts, straight-legged pants, etc, can be found in most stores.
When I was losing weight post-pregnancy, I found a lot of beautiful items at Goodwill for a few dollars each. Even my two most favorite Banana Republic pieces (a pair of lined trousers and a thin sweater) were $2 each at Goodwill. I bought an authentic Burberry purse for $15! I also outlet shopped and found deals. Target has some gorgeous and cheap clothes, and I take those inexpensive clothes, mix them with pricey items, and find that my entire outfit looks good.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

The thing I love about Old Navy is the cargo capris (they have some dressier types this year like linen or some type of woven that just look classic) is that you can wear them as pants or capris and with the right top/accessories, no one would ever suspect you are wearing the same pants twice.

The thing I DON'T love about their COTTON-blend cargo capris are that they are very thin and if you have a big rear-end, they begin to separate at the pocket! I had at least 3 pair when I was a little bigger than had huge gaping holes on both sides of the butt.

I've gotten many nice blazers from Goodwill that still had the tags on them. The right blazer can take a pair of dark wash trouser jeans to a classy level.

Right now, I would try to go for fabrics that have some stretch or give to them so that you don't have to keep turning around every 10-12 lbs and buying new clothes. There are a lot of dress shirts in this category now, they have an almost sateen cotton look to them and they wittle the waist like you wouldn't believe!!!
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #12  

Berry - The Goodwill is a good suggestions, and I'll probably try it, but of course its hit or miss. One problem I have is that I live in a fairly poor area. Most of the clothes I see at the thrifts stores in my area were never great quality to begin with, and now they're used and low quality. And Oh my goodness, the time needed to comb through! But I'll probalby make that effort sooner or later.

Beachpatrol - Exactly! Except this tends to be my attitude most of the time. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on clothes because X (X usually = I'm losing weight, or I need to lose weight). And I do love my jeans and t-shirts. I'm pretty much all I wore for years. I still wear them pretty often, but I don't want to do it all the time at work. And why won't t-shirts look new longer? I'm definitely due for some new ones.

Angie - I just bought some capri's at Walmart that I thought looked pretty good on me. I normally don't shop there at all, much less for clothes, but my options are limited where I live now, and time is precious and I just haven't had a chance to travel to shop. But I liked the carpi's so well I went back for more of them. Bought the same ones, just in a different color, but wouldn't you know when I got them home to try on, they don't fit! Laid them side by side and they're about an inch and a half narrower through the thighs! It reminds me why I don't normally shop there.

Munchy- I'm hard to fit. I'm short and curvy might describe it, but maybe not. Pants mostly don't fit me, period. My thighs are bigger, my rise shorter, my waist smaller, my hips more abrupt, than clothing manufacturer's expect. I regularly try on armloads of clothes without finding a single item that will fit. Shirts are almost always too long, although I've resigned myself to taking up a lot of things I get. But I'll also usually have trouble with them being too tight in the hips, mostly because shirts reach my hips so much sooner than they expect. Plus petite departments are few and far between. And I have some apparently weird confluence of shoulder an boob that makes for a baggy armhole that's wildly unflattering. I'm convinced that Target doesn't make clothes that fit me. Ditto Levi. Really, I have a lot of trouble.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #13  

To tell you the truth, I'm short too, and definitely curvier than expected, and there is one place that consistently fits me - Express. Almost all of my work pants/shirts that are ultra tailored are from there, and even a pair of denim trouser jeans.

Otherwise, I wear a lot of dresses and skirts. Something about the ease of throwing one on and the easy fit makes them my go-to, and a plain brown dress looks really cute when you throw on turquoise jewelry or a black outfit with some red wedges.

Is there any store that tends to fit you well, regardless of price? Maybe we can find something similar somewhere else...
Old 06-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 8"

If you have your own washer and dryer, you can get by with 3-5 different pairs of pants/capris. I went from years either working from home or in a very casual office to having to dress up every day from Jan - May. I had 4 pairs of pants and about 12 tops...I just kept mixing and matching.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #15  

Munchy - It's truly hit or miss. Some of my favorite pants are from Macy's, but a trip there a couple months ago yielded nothing. I found some jackets I liked at fashion bug, but the shirts and pants were usually not successful, and I don't love their quality. I go there because there's one nearby. I have a few things from Kohl's, a few from CJ Banks, Lands End, LL Bean. I'm a lot bigger than you, even at your high weight. The options are pretty limited in plus sizes.

Envelope - you make a good point. This whole crisis was brought on by trying on some older, smaller sized clothes, but I think it was exacerbated by the fact that I needed to do laundry. I did some last night, and with the closet restocked I feel a little better.

After some re-evaluation, I think if I find some time to do a little sewing, most of my pants can be kept going for another few pounds. They're not all my favorites, but they're def. wearable. A get-by 'til fall shopping list is taking shape.

1 pair of capri's or light-weight pants.
3-4 t-shirts in various colors styles to cycle out/supplement some of mine that are aging slightly.
1 light cardigan - This is perpetually on the list, prompted by one I have that I love. The A/C gets cool in the office, plus the one I have turns a t-shirt into an outfit.
1-3 short sleeve button-down shirts - Again prompted by a shirt that I have that I love.
Sandals. I only have black ones, need some brown.
New running shoes. This has nothing to do with work, but I need them.

I'm not ruling anything else out, if I see something I like, but this should get me through work. If a special occassion comes up, I'll shop for it, but I don't anticipate that.