General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/185/153

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Intermittent Fasting

I've been trying intermittent fasting for the past few weeks and it has been going well.

I am wondering if anyone else has heard of it or tried it? Thanks.
Risssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #2  
miamimelting

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7

I've been doing a shake fast for the past 28 days! I've lost 20 lbs. It is medically supervised. Like anything if you don't figure out why you eat then you will gain the weight back. It doesn't matter how you lose it, it matter what you are going to do to maintain it. 95% of people gain it back...simply because they lose it and don't have a plan of keeping it off. The program I'm with has a 6 week transition back to food and then 6 months or more of maintenence classes. It will take me a little over 4 months to drop 80lbs. Which has been easy so far. It will be much harder to maintain.
miamimelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #3  

I am referring to a form of fat loss and muscle building, not a "spiritual" or "religious" experience.

It is a form of eating based on paleolithic eating style.

If you have tried it, are doing it, or know anything about it please post!

I've only been using it for the past two weeks, and its been a great supplement to my lifestyle.

Thanks!!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Mark Sisson talks about it in his book "Primal Blueprint" and on his website.

As I understand ... it has more to do with carefully planning meals around periods of fasting rather than seeing how long you can go without eating which is what I think people understand fasting to be.

The term "fasting" is probably one of those words that can be ill-used and ill-understood.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Skipping meals has generally been a bad idea for me, because if I go too long without eating, my hunger runs amok, and I overeat. However, after reading Primal Blueprint, I realized that I didn't have to time meals on a rigidly timed schedule either.

In the past skipping meals were usually an attempt to postpone eating as long as possible (and inevitably resulted in out-of-control bingeing).

I think there may be something to intermittent fasting - but I suspect it would work best within the framework of a lower carb primal diet. I don't think it would work very well with a high carb diet because of the blood sugar spikes that would likely occur.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/211/115

Height: 5'4"

Can you give us an idea of what your results are like, Risssa? I'm interested in trying this as well.
ohmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/220/175

Height: 5'10"

I practice an Intermittent fasting lifestyle, granted due to stress and etc I've not done so for awhile...

Ever heard of Fast5? That moreorless represented my eating habits except in my case it's Fast-3 - Fasting for 21 hours and an eating window of three.

Personally I find that once you've started, it becomes a habit but once you slip and start to extend your eating window more and more... It's much more harder to get back on track.

I love intermittent fasting, now if only I could regain the willpower to stay on track...

This type of lifestyle change isn't the best for those whom have stressful lives and tend to be emotional eaters.
Anonymia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #8  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I followed Fast-5, well I did a Fast-6, from last Oct til this March and lost 18 lbs. of my creeping maintenance weight that I let get out of control.
Over the summer, I've gotten lax with my snacks and regained 5 lbs. I've gotta get back on track.
I really like it. I don't have to worry about eating so much. Saved me some money and I lost weight.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #9  

I fast for 18 hours and have an 8 hour eating window. I eat two meals a day and training fasted in the morning (with the protein supplement) works great for me.

My attention and energy is better. And one of the perks is I've been able to reduce my attachment to food and being afraid of being hungry. This is such a huge milestone. It allows me to look at food, as food and not as a source of comfort. Now when I think I am hungry, I have some water and usually I am thirst. I do not feel weak or that I am starving myself. 24 hour fasts are still tough. My goal is to 24 hour fast once a month. For me this is much about the reducing calories as it is about reducing my emotional dependency on food as it is the health benefits.

I follow a combination of leangains by Martin Berkhan and Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. Google these guys if you want information. I really like how they are since and research based. IFing (intermittent fasting) is right now not an issue for me. I am trying to bump up my intake of fruits and veggies right now.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Intermittent Fasting

I'm sorry if there is already a thread/post on this, but I did search for one before I made this.

I'm looking for some advice on intermittent fasting. I'd like to give it a shot, and I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share their personal IF plans and ideas on what works/doesn't work. Thanks!
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #11  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

There are a couple of pretty large threads going on although I'm not sure where they are. You can search my posts and find both pretty easily I'd imagine.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Thank you
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #13  
walkin'the dogs

S/C/G: 231/ 173/ 140

Height: 5ft 7"

yep loving the IF. Helps me no end! Hope to see you soon on the support thread!
Mishflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #14  

Default Intermitent fasting

Has anyone tried this plan?
bigdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Hello! There are a lot of us who are IFing. The support group thread is here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/supp...p-part-ii.html

However, I wouldn't really consider it a plan. IF doesn't help you lose weight directly, as it consists of intaking the same number of calories you would if you didn't IF. Its indirect effects- curbing hunger and munching, regulating hormones, etc- help some of us stick to our plans, but IF itself isn't really a weight loss plan.

Hope that helps! Look forward to chatting more.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote