Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #1  

Default Loneliness and weight gain

I know that loneliness is a corrosive emotion, but now there's research (check out wannabuddy.blogspot.com/2011/05/loneliness-and-health.html) that indicates that it can damage your health in many ways. Why can't science address this, instead ED?
jhkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #2  
Vegan for the animals.

I agree, people do eat to comfort themselves. I do. I will say I'm not lonely anymore. I've gotten used to being on my own and realizing the up side of it. No one bothers me in my own home. I do feel very isolated at times and with that I will often comfort myself with food.

In a lot of ways a modern society is ruthless and cruel. One has to make themselves survive it it or else.
VegDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I definitely comfort ate at the worst of my depression. That's how I gained 44 pounds on a 5'2 frame.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

I tend to eat when I'm out with friends
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #5  

I was 300 pounds at one point and often wondered if i was depressed because i am fat or i am i fat because i'm depressed? Anyway, i am a loner but i tended to REALLY avoid people when i was that weight. Now that i've lost 150 pounds i do see a change in my willingness to interact more with others. I think i isolated myself because of shame about my weight but then ate more because i was lonely and felt like i had no friends.
nuumite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I think by now, most of the members on 3 fat chicks agree, that there is a strong emotional component to weight loss.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

I think this is my biggest problem right now. During the day, I have people to talk to. I socialize... and then night comes and I have no one to talk to. People are just too busy and don't have the time, or they're absorbed in their favorite television show. I sit here looking for people to socialize with and usually get a hey, and then they log off.

ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Boredom & Loneliness... my two biggest enemies when it comes to weight loss.

I just have to try and keep reaching out in my own socially awkward way...
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5

From what I remember from health class, studies show that single people are, on average, thinner than married people....but then again (as described in another thread I made) relationships can sometimes be more lonely than the single life. However, single people are also more likely to die earlier than married people (I think).

I agree though, eating is something that I do when I feel that I have nothing else to do--like talk to another person. Plus, reaching out on the forum has really helped me put my situation into perspective, which has helped with taking control of my consumption.

Loneliness sucks. Good thing there are great forums out there, like 3 Fat Chicks, because it's not always easy to find like-minded people (or people who know what each other are going through).
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote