Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Need post-workout snack suggestions, please!

I try and do 3 pretty intense workouts a week (heavy lifting and either running or biking afterwards). I need something afterwards so I'm not raiding the fridge.

I do have some conditions, though, because I live abroad and we're on a budget:
-no nuts (way too expensive here )
-no pre-packaged protein bars/shakes (again due to expense) but if you had any recipes I'd definitely love to hear them!
-fruit is great and all but not filling enough, definitely need something more.
-I love string cheese (well, just cheese in general!) but it's also pretty expensive here too.

Today I had a glass of chocolate milk+flax seed. That was ok but I'm not a big milk drinker (don't like the taste after not drinking it for years).

Ok, sorry for being so picky but I'd really appreciate the ideas!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/287/175

Height: 5'7"

Default do you like tuna?

I've been having to eat a little before workouts...to keep my blood sugar from falling to quickly...I've tried tuna(packed in water)...1/2 tsp. fat free mayo and pickle chips....with 1/2 pint milk...
lavendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Eggs?
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

A banana with a spoonful of peanut butter.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #5  

Here is a "bar" that I've been inventing, but honestly the recipe still needs perfecting. It's 240 calories, so if you're calorie counting beware. And, like I said, I'm still tweaking it. I actually think a half of banana, which would drop this down to 190 calories would make it better, but I'll let you know. I've made it twice now and will continue to tweak:

3 tbs. of better than peanut butter (but, you could do regular peanut butter)
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup granola
1 tbs. brown sugar
1 banana

Mix everything, it will become runny once the banana is fully smashed and incorporated. Split mixture and pour evenly into 2 ziploc snack bags. Freeze.

This is so freakin' delicious. I think I'd like to add whey protein, lessen the amount of banana and likely add some flax seed. But, it's a good start to a dessert bar or breakfast bar. Maybe I could remove the brown sugar all together since the granola seems somewhat sweet. Not sure, like I said, it's in the works.

Last edited by Amberelise; 06-03-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

hardboiled eggs are great for that, and usually pretty darn cheap. Or, a big heap of carrots dipped in a few tablespoons of hummus.
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #7  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

There's a recipe I have somewhere that makes use of whey protein and peanut butter for an excellent snack...cost effective because of the volume you can do with one container of whey protein. If you're interested I'll dig it up. You can create the peanut butter/protein ball and then dust with cocoa powder, shredded coconut, etc.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Yes, please! I'd love to see that recipe!
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #9  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

I know you said no pre-packaged protein bars but I'm a big fan of the Clif Mini Bars - I get them at Wal-Mart for like 8.99 for 18 bars which isn't bad, at least for my budget. One bar has 4g of protein, 2g of fiber and only 100 calories.

My go-to post workout snacks for intense workouts (20 mile+ bike rides or 75 min+ swims) are the aforementioned bars, Cliff Mojo bars (200 calories), Chobani yogurt (love, love, LOVE the lemon flavor) and, if I don't feel like food, a Jay Robb vanilla protein powder shake w/ some powdered greens and chia seeds mixed in. Obvs I'm big on the protein!
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote