Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Giving in to cravings? Yes or No?

I dunno... ALL day today I've been craving Swedish Fish (the candies). I don't know why.

I've done very well today with my IF... with calorie count being at around 800-1000 (not really counting... just sort of estimating).

I know I have ROOM for Swedish Fish... and I keep asking myself "is it worth it".

Some of the time I say "yes". Other times I say "no". Right now I'm feeling like it's a "yes"... but I dunno...

thoughts?
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

No. They are pure sugar.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

*shrug* Are you able to handle a moderated serving or two of them and be satisfied?

I'll sometimes plan a candy bar or pure sugar item for a rare day, and can be quite satisfied.

Different people handle it differently.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #4  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

you should eat what you want so long as you don't go overboard and you account for it when you log your calories. i'd also suggest that you don't estimate, because it's fairly likely that that 800-1000 is more like 1200-1300. adequate nutrition is important, but allowing yourself to still eat the same things you enjoy every now and then is almost equally so.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #5  

Gagalu... I'm actually overestimating by at least 200-300 as it is. My estimations are always overestimations.

Ended up getting them. Ate a serving and a half and I'm good.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
Gagalu... I'm actually overestimating by at least 200-300 as it is. My estimations are always overestimations.

Ended up getting them. Ate a serving and a half and I'm good.
I am curious as to how you know that you are overestimating??

I always thought I was very good at estimating, until I started measuring, weighing and recording food with a computor based calorie tracking system. I found out that I was a very lousy estimator, I usually underestimated what the calorie count was and over estimated what a serving size was.

Would you mind sharing how you can be so confident that you are accurate?

Larry,

Last edited by Larry H; 06-03-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

And if you are over estimating, and really did eat so little and your body wanted pure sugar, it wass because it was begging for a boost of sugar/energy. If you don't give it enough fuel, it will make you crave the fastest energy- sugar. Which then raises your blood sugar, spikes it, comes crashing and then you want more fuel... Vicious cycle.

Now I am a food estimator when it comes to portions, but I've been cooking for 18 years and know by eyeball how much a teaspoon, cup, etc is, but that is from 18 years of daily cooking. And even still, I will sometimes check myself to be sure my eyes aren't getting too big (like with my peanut butter serving).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #8  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

never hurts to be as accurate as possible
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: i was 70kgs i am now 64kgs

Height: 5ft 1

I read somewhere that cravings can become really bad if you completely cut of things you like. So its better to have a tiny bit like people are saying just dont go over board
Marmot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

No one's body NEEDS candy. No one can actually say they are "deprived" of candy. This is just self-indulgence, not hunger.

If what you needed was an energy boost, then there are many better choices than a wad of sugar. Just sayin'.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #11  

I calculated what I ate up. It wasn't exact because I didn't measure everything. So I added 100-300 to THAT final number. As for the energy pickmeup... Could have been. I don't really know. All I know is that I'd been saying "no" to the candies all day, and I felt fine energy wise, felt fine hunger wise, I was just craving Swedish fish. So I went and got some. I still have over half a package left (only got one). If it was for a sugar rush, then it was for a sugar rush. I doubt it though... Unless it was needing a rush for later. But I'm not ruling it out.

About the calories, I'm doing IF. Yesterday was awesome! And today I feel GREAT (it's 6 AM... I've NEVER felt this good at 6 AM). I'll try to eat more calorie rich foods today during my window... Yesterday I had mostly veggies apart from the mushroom chicken...

If I'm doing everything wrong... Then I am. But I feel GREAT. But maybe my mind/body is just playing tricks on me.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #12  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Sometimes I give in to cravings - usually TOM when I do. But I balance out any "evil" foods (candy, etc) with super-good-for-me foods like a healthy salad or extra portions of broccoli, etc.

I see nothing wrong with giving in to a craving every now & then; however, you must keep a leash on how much is "every now & then".

Also, I like to reel myself in with the motto "If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution." And I oftimes drink a large flavored water (no calories, no sodium, no nothing... just flavored water) to get myself over that craving hump.

And I agree with the other posters about estimating your calorie intake. Estimations are very rarely any good. Better to get down to the nitty gritty & count it outright. JMPO
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/135/130

I allow myself small portions of cravings and like some others mentioned I have read numerous times in my health magazines and websites to not totally restrict any food or craving because in the end it makes you more likely to binge. Allow yourself small, controlled portions of cravings for sweets and things of that nature, but make sure you pull the serving out beforehand and when it's gone, it's gone, don't get more and don't do it every single day, I save my sweets as more of a weekly thing. One indulgence a week and it's usually not even that often as I don't crave sweets as much anymore.
Ashley829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #14  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm an estimator, too, have been for the year I've been on my plan. I likely don't have it down to a science, but the thing is, who cares? I'm happy with my weight loss thus far, and I'm getting very good at scaling back a little if the losses stall. So I say, if it works and you are satisfied with your losses - then you are doing it right! Also, I have a cabinet full of measuring cups and spoons if and when I get to the point that I'm not happy with my progress.

As far as the craving sugar thing goes, I'm very careful with this. I used to not allow it at all because I can get a vicious cycle going with it as others suggested. Sugar begets the desire for more sugar for me. However, I know I will want a dish of ice cream now and again for the rest of my life, so I have been "practicing" with it. My daughter and I go for ice cream every Friday, taking turns picking the place. I look forward to our ice cream adventure every week, and I find it helps me to make good choices during the week that I have my ice cream waiting for me. WHATEVER works for your mind, body and spirit, I say!

When it's not my ice cream day and I'm confronted with a plate of brownies at work or an odd craving for candy, I try to think to myself "Will having a couple bites of that SATISFY me, or leave me wanting the next bites?" Usually it's the latter, so I pass. Sounds like your 1 1/2 servings did the trick. Do be careful not to go too low on those daily calories, though!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

"Is it worth it?" Really is the ultimate question, and if you can say "yes it is," not only before, but also afteward, then great. if you realize afterward "No, it really wasn't" try to remember that next time.

I do try to keep carbs low, because high carb foods, especially candy make me crazy-hungry afterward. Yet during PMS/TOM, I'm most likely to have and indulge cravings. Most of the time I wish I hadn't, but every once in a while I find a good compromise that satisfies the craving, with fwer calories and without causing rebound hunger.

I also love Swedish fish, they remind me of my grandma, because she always had them at her house, when we were little (she bought them from the candy department in Sears - I don't even think any of the Sears stores still have a candy department).

If you want Swedish fish flavor without the sugar and calories, try the blue diet Mountain Dew, if you can find it (I think it's called Voltage).

One of my hubby's friends bought a case (of the full sugar version) over for a party we were having, and I participated in the taste test, as we all tried to identify the flavor and most of us agreed on "Swedish Fish candy." The diet version isn't quite as close, but it works for me. Even the diet is really sweet though, so it doesn't really quench thirst - it's one of those beverages that you need a beverage after drinking to get the overly sweet taste out of your mouth (sort of like real Swedish Fish).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote