Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 313/313/199

Height: 5'8

Default Master cleanse??(Lemonade diet)

Has anyone actually stuck with this? It says to drink the stuff for 10 days!! With no solid food. Sounds kinda iffy to me. Of course you're going to lose weight because you are not eating, but I'm not sure about the "detox" part of it. What do you all think?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #2  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Definitely not healthy. Your digestive system cleans itself just fine - most "cleanses" or "detoxes" being sold today are just rip-offs being sold on phony science.

As for the Master Cleanse in particular, you'll lose weight - and then you'll gain it right back when you start actually eating food again...
Old 06-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Quote:
Definitely not healthy. Your digestive system cleans itself just fine - most "cleanses" or "detoxes" being sold today are just rip-offs being sold on phony science.

As for the Master Cleanse in particular, you'll lose weight - and then you'll gain it right back when you start actually eating food again...
Quoted for truth. It isn't a sustainable way to lose weight, for sure. Of course the scale will go down if you're not eating any solid food and only consuming 400-500 calories of maple syrup and lemon juice a day. But it'll go right back up as soon as you start eating food again. And you don't need anything special to "cleanse" your body...the body does that just fine on its own.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Agree with the 2 posts above.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #5  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I did follow this master cleanse for 14 days and yes.. i lost weight.. but how much of it was water??? i dont know? probably most of it..and also.. i felt really really ill for the entire time i was doing..always tired..always nauseous..lots of heartburn from using lemon all the time..plus..it doesnt taste good..no matter how much lemonade appeals..and in the end..you go back to eating the normal way you always have..it doesnt change eating habits and your body clings to every calorie afterward..so if you want to lose weight and then gain it back...this is the diet for you...and if you want to live off of just lemonade the rest of your life..this is the diet for you..BUT if you want to eat healthy and good food and lose weight..THIS IS NOT THE DIET FOR YOU! Lol...

And about the cleanse: Anyone can cleanse there body using fruits and veggies and lots of water..
Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 313/313/199

Height: 5'8

I knew it sounded fishy. I guess I was just drawn to the 10-15 weight loss/ week. O well. Slow and steady wins the race.lol
Old 06-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If you want to lose weight fast you should talk to your doctor and see if he thinks you're a good candidate for a PSMF. My personal favorite is Rapid Fat Loss but a popular one on this board is the IP Diet. The IP diet has the advantage of a coach but it also costs a lot more to follow. Talk to your doctor first before pursuing such an agressive plan.

Back on topic - any clense is a waste of time in my opinion not to mention potentially dangerous. Making sure you eat lots of veggies and exercise will clense your body much better than not eating.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #8  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

Are there any detox/cleanses (bought in store) that DO work?? I really wanna do one, I feel like my body kinda needs one, too.

But I dont have insurance, so going to the dr. isn't really an option :/
Old 06-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Not really. Most "detoxes" consist of two things - laxatives and diuretics. So you start excreting more (which can result in weight loss as you lose waste and water), but you're not really "detoxing"...just pushing things along a little faster than they'd otherwise go. In addition, some of the ingredients, particularly in stimulant laxatives from chemical or natural (senna) sources, can result in dependence on those ingredients, meaning that after your "cleanse" you may need those chemicals or ingredients to go.

Some "cleanses" (Dr. Natura is one) have bentonite clay, which basically forms a cast on the inside of your intestines, making it look like you're excreting some really nasty stuff from your insides...but in reality, you're just excreting what you're taking in from the cleanse.

If you want your body to be cleaned out, I recommend eating lots of fresh, whole foods (veggies, fruits, etc) and drinking lots of water. Your body will take care of the rest.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If our body was unable to detox itself we wouldn't live very long.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

We have had many threads about the Master Cleanse and it definitely is not healthy and has had negative side effects. I am going to close this thread.
Closed Thread