General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default Health concerns

I debated sharing this on 3FC, because I'm not usually an over-sharer, but decided that I would feel better getting this off my chest and others might have valuable input.

A couple of disclaimers: I am seeing a doctor, and I know y'all are not a substitute for "real" medical advice. Also, this whole thing might be TMI.

So here's the story. My last TOM was in January. I'm 33 and very, very regular. Zippo chance of pregnancy (for real). I joined a gym in February, which is also when I took a diet break and ate at maintenance level for a while, so initially I thought it was just because my body was really confused. But when March and then April came and went and no TOM, I started to get concerned.

In addition to that, I started to have some abdominal pain that I call "twinges." This is not muscle soreness from ab workouts or monthly cramps. It's little twinges of pain in my low abdomen, sometimes with pain in my right lower back. I had a large, painful ovarian cyst removed in college, so I was thinking maybe it was another cyst.

And then, finally, the thing that drove me to the doctor's office. Starting sometime in February, I've had a few episodes where my urine is bloody. I mean, it's red. This is NOT menstrual blood, for sure, it's definitely coming from my urine. It's happened 4-5 times since February, and will last for one bathroom visit up to a couple of days. It's NOT every time I go.

Last week I saw my gyno. Of course, my urine was fine the day of my appointment. She did a pelvic, ordered an ultrasound, took blood to check my hormones, and put me on progesterone to force a period.

Yesterday I spoke with my doc's assistant. She said the ultrasound showed nothing, and that the progesterone has until next Wednesday to do its thing (still nothing there). But then I mentioned to her that I had had another episode of blood in my urine just the day before, and she became very concerned. She actually freaked me out (leading to the binge I described in a thread from yesterday). She kept saying that was not normal, and an issue of great concern, and that I needed to see someone immediately.

Well, I saw her boss!! And told her! And honestly, the doc didn't seem that concerned - she wasn't dismissive, but she said they couldn't really do anything if the blood didn't show in my urine.

Sigh.

I have an appointment with my PCP next Friday. The appointment is actually for a new patient visit/physical, because my insurance changed and I had to get a new PCP. I'm obviously going to tell her all this.

In doing research online (I know, I'm a terrible self-diagnoser!) I'm wondering if it's exercise hematuria. I started the c25k in late February as well, and I'm wondering if that's been knocking my bladder around. Anyone have any experience with this?

Oh, also, someone's probably going to ask if my BF% is low enough to cause me to lose my period. I really don't think so, and neither did my doc during the exam. According to calliper measurements AND the Navy method, I'm around 22-24%. I still carry quite a bit of fat in the stomach area (apple-shaped). I don't go under 1200 calories a day, and am usually closer to 1400. I'm not starving myself, I promise.

I'm trying not to stress myself out about all of this. I'm trying not to think of worst-case scenarios and bad diagnoses and possibilities. But it's hard.

So that's what's happening there. Any thoughts?
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I have absolutely no idea, but if it were happening to me I would insist that it be taken seriously.

Have you checked the Mayo Clinic website? I trust that one.

Good luck!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I don't know, Jen, so I'll send you a hug until someone else comes along. it's disconcerting, to say the least, but you've done the right thing in seeing your doctor. Sorry about the doctor's assistant. They can cause a lot of unnecessary trouble, as I know from current family experience. again

Last edited by silverbirch; 05-07-2011 at 01:55 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Just get in the habit of doing a clean catch for your urine for a week or so, then you will be able to save and send in (if needed) the bloody urine. I agree it isn't normal, I hope you get some answers
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Are you sure it's blood? Some foods (beets, blackberries, rhubarb) can turn urine red or pink, as can some medications. The presence of red color doesn't necessarily mean blood, which may be why no blood showed up in the urinalysis.

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/...-of-hematuria/
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Are you sure it's blood? Some foods (beets, blackberries, rhubarb) can turn urine red or pink, as can some medications. The presence of red color doesn't necessarily mean blood, which may be why no blood showed up in the urinalysis.

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/...-of-hematuria/
Mandalinn, I would LOVE it if it were something like that. And I knew about beets (which I've never even tried) but I didn't know about some of the other foods on that list. I don't take any of the drugs, but I do eat blueberries and blackberries from time to time. The only thing is, I've eaten those for years, but the urine thing has only been happening since February.

ArcticMama - I thought the same thing, that I need to just collect all my urine from now until my next doctor's appt, waiting for one that has blood in it. Surely bringing a mason jar of urine from home isn't the weirdest thing anyone has ever done at the doc's office!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

A urinary tract infection that has spread to your kidneys?
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburner77 View Post
A urinary tract infection that has spread to your kidneys?
I thought of that too. I had serious scary blood in my urine from a bladder infection once, but I also felt like I had a brick in my abdomen and a low grade fever. I suppose it's possible you may not have had other noticable symptoms.

But you also have had no period for at least 3 months, right? Not sure how that would factor into it.....

Last edited by Gogirl008; 05-07-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #9  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I had blood in my urine from a bladder infection that had spread to my kidneys. I had no other symptoms except for a nagging lower backache. I went to the doc, they did all the tests and said I had the flu. Later that week I was taken to the hospital by ambulance and spent 2 weeks in ICU getting over it. No one took it very seriously, obviously. I'm not saying that's what it is Jen, and I hope it isn't, but it's just another thought. I'm sorry that you're going through this.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I don't really have any advice to offer, just to say I hope you get some answers and feel better soon
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I am leaning towards Kidney Stones. They can cause both blood in the urine and also lower abdominal pain.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I am wondering if it could be endometriosis that is involving the bladder, although I don't think endo causes your period to stop.

Jen, I hope you get some answers soon. If you are worried, and I would be too, don't take their non-concern as an answer. You know yourself best and are your best advocate. I hope the new PCP works out!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #13  

It could be a kidney stone. I know you always hear of people having extreme pain with them, but I have a friend who actually just has twinges of pain with them. She goes to work and everything. The twinge of pain can occur when they move. The bleeding can occur when the move and then subside when they stop moving. This can occur on and off as they travel and you can have several of those buggers travel over several months and diet changes can bring them on. I'm not a doctor and not saying this is what this is, but it's a possibility. As far as your lack of period, that's a different thing and not related to the urinary bleeding. I've never been regular and have PCOS, but you say you always have been. hmmm...I hope you get some answers soon girlie... Maybe they need to do a complete hormone workup. It's possible the progesterone will help out soon too..

Last edited by Violet73; 05-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #14  

Thank you all, so much, for your support and help. You've given me lots of things to think about and mention to the PCP when I see her. I've also decided that, if I have another episode of bleeding before Friday, I'm going to collect it myself and call to get in ASAP.

I think I feel frustrated and scared because I've done what we're told to do - see our healthcare provider - and my problem wasn't immediately "solved." I've never been seriously ill, and even when I had my cyst in college, as mentioned above, it was diagnosed that day and dealt with quickly. The uncertainty of this is scary.

On the other hand, I'm an optimistic, cheerful person by nature. I can't help thinking that pretty soon this will be resolved with a happy ending. I just want to get there now.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #15  

Hey! I'm updating this in case it's helpful to someone in the future. Also, I hate loose ends.

After urine/blood tests, a CT, an X-ray, and an ultrasound (thank goodness I'm insured, right?) I've found out I have a kidney stone in my right kidney. It's about 1 cm according to my doc, too big to pass on its own, and I'm scheduled to have a lithotripsy next Friday, a non-invasive procedure where they use shockwaves to break up the stone into pieces small enough to pass.

I'm very relieved that it wasn't something more serious. The internist and urologist she referred me to were both much more concerned about the blood in the urine than my OB/GYN was, and both made it clear that I should have come in immediately on seeing blood - apparently microscopic blood happens occasionally for lots of reasons, but visible blood is a pretty big sign that something is acutely wrong. So, public service announcement - see the doctor if you think something is wrong!