Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #1  

Default What was your biggest weight lifting Ooops!?

I can barely walk today due to an Oops. Instead of breaking up the leg routine for my boot camp class, I had them do legs back to back to challenge this awesomely fit group of clients. The oops is, I overdid it. Not injury-wise, but challenge-wise. I am SO flipping sore!

The worst part is, I was putting off mowing the lawn for a week now and it HAS to be done today. I have NO idea how I'm gonna mow the lawn today! I haven't had an oops like this in 5 years!

What is your biggest Oops and what was the fall-out of not being able to move the next day?
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Oh there are so many... which one should I choose? The time I dropped a 25ib plate on the bridge of my foot..nah. Or, the countless times I've smashed my fingers between the plates while reracking them..eh.

Or the friction burns on the backs of my forearms while doing a commando crawl across the gym tossing 5lb plates from side to side. That one actually took some time to heal but its such a great drill I"m still looking for proper "sleeves" for my forearms to do it again on a regular basis.

The scariest thing I did was attempt to pick up adjustable dumb bells without the plates securely locked in. Yep, all the little plates came tumbling down in every direction. Thank goodness it wasn't over my head. Those things still scare me and I freak at the idea of doing presses with them.

My favorite though wasn't anything I did. One guy came in who really thought he was quite the somethin' somethin'. Anyway, after much "preening" (pretend lifting while watching self in the mirror) he walks over to a cable triceps machine that has a bench. Sits down on the bench...and I"m still trying to figure this one out HOW he did it because honestly I tried my best to NOT be watching him but there are just some people who you can't help but see. Anyway, he pulls back and he's at the very edge of this bench and seriously flips himself heels over head off of this bench and onto the floor. OMG. Seriously hope he wasn't hurt but it was so funny...and very much deserved. Only saw him once or twice there after that...good times.

Oh wait. I do have a gym oops....I was supersetting....At the end of my third set some guy comes up to me and very politely asks what I'm about to do next because every time he walks over to a piece of equipment I'm about four steps ahead of him or his girlfriend. I was so embarrassed. I always try to look out for that kind of thing and will never superset when it's busy. But this time it wasn't and I seriously had no idea they were even around. Ouch. Music must have been really good on my iPod that day.

Hope your legs are feeling better. You rolled them right? Drinking water?

Last edited by Lydia227; 05-24-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

This is a scarey thread!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 147/135.3/127-132

Height: 5'2"ish

I haven't done lunges in like 20 years, I thought it would be a good idea to do them with a 10 lb dumbbell in each hand. I did 4 and nearly fell over.
bluemonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #5  

It turns out that mowing the lawn helped my pain. It didn't eliminate it. No not at all. But I set my sights for the back acre only and felt good enough that I did the front acre and burned the spring clean up and planted flowers and seeded bare spots. All in all, I was busy for about 6 hours.

Now I'm spent!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Bench pressing, at home, a 1RM, without a safety or spotter! Took me about 20 minutes to shuffle my way out. Really stupid. In fact, I could have killed myself.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

Twenty minutes! OMG. Sacha! You must have been freaking out! You poor thing.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Twenty minutes! OMG. Sacha! You must have been freaking out! You poor thing.
I think I was more embarassed than anything else It was only 55lbs, LOL. At least I was sensible enough to not put collars on and could wiggle my way around to the plates falling off. Really, really dumb
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #9  

I was relieved that my clients did not want to kill me today! They were sore but not like I was (and still am). I guess taking it easy for 2 weeks I lost some strength and endurance!

Sacha, there is a huge guy in our gym who got stuck while bench pressing one time. This was 3 years ago. All the guys STILL make fun of him. I'm glad you're OK.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #10  
Kallos Sthenos

Some days....55 pounds can feel like 550 pounds....that's all I'm gonna say
Old 05-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #11  
Workin' It

I got stuck one time bench pressing at home solo, too. Scary stuff.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #12  

Aha! I did not put 2 and 2 together earlier. The reason I am (still!!!) sore isn't because I over did the legs. I did the legs just right, in fact. The reason why my clients weren't as sore as I was is because of what we did after legs.

I had given them 5 options for abs and they were to do 150 reps of any of them in any combination. The one I chose - bent knee V up to straight leg scissor 4-6 inches off the ground - targets core and quad. None of the clients chose this exercise.

So lesson for the day is, consider previous exercises when choosing subsequent ones and think about not only the main muscle but the peripheral and supporting muscles, too! DUH me!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #13  
Mel

Mine is the same as Sacha's. But there have been soooo many! The 1 rep max on box squats was pretty funny, too...and there I sat.

Glad you figured out why you were so sore- that sounds like a brutal combo!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #14  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

The day I was loading stones and I stepped back from the platform, thinking the atlas stone was stabilized. It wasn't, and rolled off the platform, hit the edge of the mat, and shot across the floor. Without thinking I reached out to stop it, and got my fingers caught between 135 lbs of flying concrete and the power rack. Doh! A little blood and a couple of smashed fingernails was all the damage, though.

Before Crossfit, when I was at the Y, I once stood up from doing hip extensions, went to lean back against the foot holder thingies, realized too late it was a lot shorter on this machine than on the one I normally used...went right over backward and landed upside down on the floor, lol..awkward!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #15  

jamsk8r, I'm glad you didn't lose a finger!

There is this one nice guy in our gym, totally quiet, keeps to himself. I remember the 1st day he showed up, thin as a rail, gawky and ackward with a how-to manual on weights. Good for him.

Except the manual didn't explain why guys should NOT wear short running shorts while on the leg press.

Eeesh! I can't get the image out of my brain of the guy's fella's hanging out.

He wore long pants after that.

And... two years later, he's buff and confident! Still very shy, though. Maybe it's because he should be the one posting this here. I'm pretty sure he knows I was witness to that.

Last edited by fitness4life; 06-03-2011 at 09:44 AM.