South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Default Husband Loves Carbs

I just noticed today that the calorie counting is not working. I've tried the SB before, and really liked it. I think its time for me to get back on the bandwagon.

One thing is, my husband used to complain when I cut down on carbs--like, he still wants me to make him potatoes and pasta even when I am not eating grains. He also likes to have cookies and sweets every night, although he doesn't expect me to provide them (thankfully).

Does anyone else have to deal with this? I usually try to buy bread for him, since I don't really even like bread. He has no interest in dieting.

Plus, he eats truckloads. And truckloads of cooked vegetables and meats gets a little expensive, and irritating for me when i see them disappear like water, although they are the only foods I can eat.

The other thing is, I think fruit is really good and don't want to go on a stage without fruit--its not that I like fruit a lot, but I just don't get enough fresh produce and fruit is convenient.
Berries are better than other types of fruit--right?

I don't have a SB book or anything, I just get my info from websites.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/209/199

Height: 5'9"

I have the same problem. I still cook the regular carby foods that my family eats...I just dont eat them. It has gotten easier for me as time goes on though. I just try to think ahead and whatever I am fixing them I modify so that I can eat something similar. If not I take whatever meat is in their food and put it in a salad.
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I just add a extra carbs to my husband and son's meals - couscous, pasta, bread, rice etc. It was an adjustment for the hub at first but he got used to it. He now likes eating my "diet food"
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 270/see ticker/GW 150

Height: 5'9"

Oh Id get the book. You can prob get one on amazon for around $.60 used no lie. It is so so helpful to know why yr doing what yr doing...and knowledge is power!
YeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

First, get the book. Second, I have the same issue. My husband is a package delivery person (think brown) and he really needs to eat a lot (because he burns probably upwards of 5000 calories a day working), especially a lot of protein and carbs. I usually cook meat for us and have a small portion, then cook rice/pasta or potatoes for him and then I'll have some of his veggie. Some weeks, like this week, I just made completely different dinners for him and I ate cold cuts. What I do is cook up a bunch of rice/pasta and have it in the fridge and then just serve him some each night, rather than dealing with it separately each evening. I'm not really tempted by them.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5

Thanks for all the ideas. I especially like the one about cooking the same meat for him, but putting mine in a salad.

I hope it didn't sound like I was dissing my husbands eating--he does an hour every day of vigorous exercise, then on the weekends he usually mountain bikes or hikes for 10+ miles every day. Plus, this month he's been riding his bike to work in the morning (15 miles).

Plus, he thinks it's a compliment when he finishes off the entirety of what I cooked--which it kind of is, unless it's supposed to be for lunch or my breakfast for two days. But I'll just put the food in the fridge that I am going to use for lunches, and let him finish the rest off.

I should get the book--there are so many used ones, I have no monetary excuse.

I'm so happy to start SB! I gain fat in my waist and I've just been gaining lately--carb counting is too time consuming, and it's too easy to eat the wrong foods.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: maintaining

Yes! Both from my husband and boys. We have done some compromising. For meals, I make lots of veggies which my boys don't touch but I also make rice or pasta for them which I don't touch. How about trying brown rice and whole grain pasta and sweet potatoes after PH1? And quinoa?

My husband won't give up his junk food and does try to hide it from me or pick things I won't be overly tempted to eat. I am selfish with some of my veggies and don't share
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/197/160

Height: 5'8"

Get the book at the library...that's where I found it. Strawberries are in and very affordable right now. They are one my of favorite fruit choices especially with a little lite whipped topping.

My stomach and waist are my problem areas too but with SB we will hopfully lose it there first
granchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #9  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

About the fruit, if you don't cut it out, just pay attention to what kinds and at what times you eat it and if that affects any carb cravings. I read in the original SB Diet book about one of his patients who absolutely refused to give up ice cream. He ate 1 bowl of full-fat, full-deliciousness ice cream every night and *still* lost weight. So, if he can do it with his ice cream modification, you sure can too with fruit, so don't stress out about that.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote