Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #1  

Height: 5'0"

Default Alcohol: Do you? Don't you? How do you do it?

For me, summer brings a lot of social events. And most of these social events include alcohol. In addition, this is the time of year Hubby likes to sit on our patio with a drink after the kids are in bed. And, of course, he wants me to join him.

But alcohol hits me with a double whammy: It's a bundle of extra calories/sugar, AND it always lowers my food inhibitions so I end up waaaaayyyy overeating.

I am a red wine drinker, typically. Though I've been thinking about changing up to white wine spritzers (made with half white wine and half calorie-free seltzer). I'd miss my buzz, but would definitely save calories.

How do you handle alcoholic beverages? Do you just abstain totally? Do you drink sensibly? What's your low-cal beverage of choice? And HOW do you beat the munches after drinking???
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I abstain totally. Alcohol (no matter how small the amount) completely stunts my weight loss progress for at least a week. Just not worth it to me (not a big drinker anyways) while on my weight loss journey. I find that drinking is discouraging during this very "focused" time (I'm on a MISSION).

That said, I can and will incorporate an "occasional" drink or two socially during maintenance.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 06-03-2011 at 08:49 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

I have my glass of red wine almost every day. Usually it is 8 oz = 192 cal, on the weekend a little more. I just include it in my daily planning, no reasons do not have what you want and like in moderation. Summer, nice weather, BBQ, how can you not have a glass of cold white wine or nice buttery red, ha?
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #4  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I drink red wine too and occasionally a rum/diet coke. I count it in my calories. This is the first time in my life where I really feel llike I'm not dieting to lose weight. I have changed the way that I eat. I'm not going to cut out anything that I don't want to forego for the rest of my life.

Just my 2 cents on the subject
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

I also drink red wine, but I also drink Skinnygirl Margaritas and Mike's Hard Light Cranberry Lemonade. Mike's is made with natural sweetener substitute. It has cals but only 109 I think for a 12 oz/ bottle.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #6  

Height: 5'4''

I don't really drink regardless of whether I'm trying to lose weight or not
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't drink much, but then, I never did. When I do decide to have a drink, I just count it in with my calories, but I do consider it a treat.

Its trickier if its a common occurrence. Can you set yourself some rules? Choose ahead of time the events when you'll drink. I heard of someone who gave it up mostly, but saved drinking as a reward for her mini-goals. Don't eat at the same time you drink?

Last edited by zoodoo613; 06-03-2011 at 09:26 AM.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #8  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I also find it does stall my weight loss somewhat. No matter what I do, the scale isn't going to move for the following 4-7 days.

The real problem is that it also lowers my inhibitions and makes me temporarily forget I'm on a diet....the last time I drank with friends they all wanted taco bell afterwards, and if I hadn't had a buzz I probably would have turned it down. I did 900 calories worth of unplanned damage in one sitting. I felt pathetic the next morning.

Still, I don't want to have to go the rest of my life restricting anything I'd normally enjoy, so I think it is important to find the happy medium and some self control. I only drink maybe once every month or two, so even a splurge like that isn't going to derail me.

My favorite drink is white russian daiquiri, which I have not and will not have...maybe on my birthday? It's just too many calories, like a giant milkshake. For now I like tequila rose, or vodka mixed with diet sprite.
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #9  

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady1978 View Post
The real problem is that it also lowers my inhibitions and makes me temporarily forget I'm on a diet....the last time I drank with friends they all wanted taco bell afterwards, and if I hadn't had a buzz I probably would have turned it down. I did 900 calories worth of unplanned damage in one sitting. I felt pathetic the next morning.
Yeah, I have this same problem.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #10  
Miss October

S/C/G: 153/116.2/120

Height: 5'2"

I'll imbibe a small amount. Though I will always end up craving greasy foods, (mmm pizza) I usually plan to have a lot of extra cals left just in case. But, I usually drink lightly- only until I'm a little buzzed and just maintain the buzz, so I'm a little bit more "there" to help keep me from making bad food decisions.
CorinneIrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #11  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

I abstain these days, echoing Joyfulloser it totally stops any progress, depending on how much I've drank, for quite a while and for now it just isn't worth it.
Drinks I did enjoy and will again one day where gin/vodka with diet tonic or soda water and lime cordial and White wine spritzers, occassionally those 99 cal beers.
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 226/215/160

Height: 5'6"

During the summer, I always go for white wine spritzers made with club soda -- 2/3 soda, 1/3 wine, lots of ice, slice of lemon or lime. I get a lot more "social drinking" mileage out of a spritzer. I can have a drink with my husband three nights in a week for the "cost" of one glass of wine. Works for red wine too.

I count the points, of course. Like the OP, if I'm not willing to give it up for life, I figure out a way to have, at least, a bit.

Last edited by jessy 49; 06-03-2011 at 10:13 AM.
jessy 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
For me, summer brings a lot of social events. And most of these social events include alcohol. In addition, this is the time of year Hubby likes to sit on our patio with a drink after the kids are in bed. And, of course, he wants me to join him.

But alcohol hits me with a double whammy: It's a bundle of extra calories/sugar, AND it always lowers my food inhibitions so I end up waaaaayyyy overeating.

I am a red wine drinker, typically. Though I've been thinking about changing up to white wine spritzers (made with half white wine and half calorie-free seltzer). I'd miss my buzz, but would definitely save calories.

How do you handle alcoholic beverages? Do you just abstain totally? Do you drink sensibly? What's your low-cal beverage of choice? And HOW do you beat the munches after drinking???
I have the same problem as you. Alcohol is just a part of our lifestyle. My boyfriend especially enjoys drinking on just about any occasion - beer with baseball; Korbel & coke after work; Happy Hour on Thursday evenings; Martinis at a local restaurant for fun; Saturday afternoon bar for fun; wine with dinner; drink to drink... lol.

So, this is my biggest calorie counting issue and I feel your pain! One thing I've learned to do is to limit myself to one glass of wine when out at the bars and at restaurants. I get a glass of water at the same time and drink that entire glass first before switching to my wine. By then my friends are already moving on to their next glass. Then I sip my wine super slow. My friends will be finishing their third by the time I'm finishing mine. Then I switch back to the water. If it's a meal out, this is around the time I'm done eating anyway. If it's happy hour, I will then sometimes go for a second glass. Wine averages at 100 calories a glass, so I don't mind if I have two. If I have a second, I sip it slowly and make it last through two glasses of my friends. By now, my friends are trashed. They don't notice how little I've drank, and I am not especially interested in being as drunk as them, haha.

Now, the next thing I've done is convinced the bartender at the local restaurant to make skinny martinis. We went there sooooo much she knows us by name and hangs out with us outside of the bar. Lol. See? I told you we were big drinkers. Anyway, her skinny margarita is 100 calories. Fresh lime juice, agave nectar and organic tequila. We measured it out together and calorie counted everything, so I know it's accurate. I limit myself to two of these when we go out.

Finally, my boyfriend LOVES LOVES LOVES brandy. So, I found this recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ging...0000001853933/ He absolutely LOVES this drink. I really, really like it, too!! And, it's super summery so it's perfect for drinking outside on the porch in the evenings. The pear juice is tough to find. Safeway sells it in the juice aisle with the organic drinks. http://www.amazon.com/Knudsen-Organi.../dp/B001HTI9CE But, there might be other kinds. I limit myself to two of these as well. I took the time to calculate the calories myself and it really is 110 calories a drink.

Really, the key is to go with the low calorie drinks (so it's good you like wine) and just make it last. Don't try to keep up with your husband. My boyfriend is calorie counting, too, and he has screwed himself a few nights with alcohol. But, I just make sure I don't fall into the same trap as him. As long as you keep it to just one or two drinks I don't think you have to face the munchies problem because you won't get a buzz. But, yes, I've had to train myself to not drink for the buzz. It has taken some work. I don't think I really got that under control until about two weeks ago.

Lastly, there are some beers out there that are around 60 calories. If you want to drink at the same speed of those around you, you could have four of those and be okay. The one thing I keep reminding myself, though, is that nutritionally all of this alcohol isn't doing a darn thing for me. That helps me limit it.

Last edited by Amberelise; 06-03-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #14  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
Pretty much don't drink any more for the reasons you've stated. I wasn't a big drinker anyway but usually drank in the summer for social reasons, but not now.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #15  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

This is a struggle for me too. I'm in university and it's a huge part of the culture and social life. My first goal is to avoid the post-drink food which is VERY hard. My next goal is to add in a workout for every night that I have more than one drink. I am struggling with the exercise portion of my plan more than the food, so this second goal is going to be a toughie.

I've heard that clear alcohol is supposed to be better than coloured ones? I quite like a gin and tonic (especially in the summer!) so I could live with that, but I have no idea how much truth there is to it.
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote