Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #1  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

Unhappy plataeu? So Soon?!?! Help!

ok i weigh myself every morning. if i didnt i would freak.

but i think i am on a plataeu and i dont know what to do.

firday weigh in: 243.2
saturday:244.2
sunday:244.2
Monday: 244.2
Tuesday: 244.2
Wednesday:244.4
Thursday: 244.4

I have been excercising and eating right all except for sunday for bbq on memorial. but still didnt go over my calories.

some one please help. i have only been on this journey for about a month. is it possible my body could plataeu this quickly?

thank you.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

One week with no change isn't a plateau, it's totally normal. Weight loss isn't as linear as we'd like it to be. If I'm reading you right, you've lost 12 lbs in the past month? You're right on track. Your body is adjusting to its new weight, rehydrating, getting ready for TOM, building muscle, easing out some soreness etc., etc. etc. Really there's no way we can know what your body is doing, but if you're eating on plan and exercising, you're doing fine. The weight loss will eventually follow.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

What she said :P

Seriously, a week is just a blip, not a plateau. No one loses in a linear fashion. I usually started to think about changing things after no weight change in 4-6 weeks. Otherwise, you're right on target, blip or not.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Oh girl, I know! And it feels like a plateau because a week of "dieting" feels like a month sometimes. I agree with zoodoo so I can't add much but I know that last weekend I was at a bbq and I ate more salty foods than normal and because of all the sun I got, I was retaining water like mad. Still am. And TOM is coming soon as well.

Congrats on your weight loss so far!! You are well on your way!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #5  
HijabiMommaBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
One week with no change isn't a plateau, it's totally normal. Weight loss isn't as linear as we'd like it to be. If I'm reading you right, you've lost 12 lbs in the past month? You're right on track. Your body is adjusting to its new weight, rehydrating, getting ready for TOM, building muscle, easing out some soreness etc., etc. etc. Really there's no way we can know what your body is doing, but if you're eating on plan and exercising, you're doing fine. The weight loss will eventually follow.

ok thank you! how will i know when i hit a plataeu. and if nothing changes in a week or two what should i do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
What she said :P

Seriously, a week is just a blip, not a plateau. No one loses in a linear fashion. I usually started to think about changing things after no weight change in 4-6 weeks. Otherwise, you're right on target, blip or not.
If only it were linear. oh wow that seems long. but its probly cuz im just starting out. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAm View Post
Oh girl, I know! And it feels like a plateau because a week of "dieting" feels like a month sometimes. I agree with zoodoo so I can't add much but I know that last weekend I was at a bbq and I ate more salty foods than normal and because of all the sun I got, I was retaining water like mad. Still am. And TOM is coming soon as well.

Congrats on your weight loss so far!! You are well on your way!
It does! It feels like I have done nothing this whole week! even though I've worked really hard.

I just ended TOM though shouldnt i be losing excess water? sometimes all this is so confusing.

thank you for the encouragement.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

You're doing great. It takes awhile to figure out our patterns on this. And then as soon as you figure it out, it will probably change! Some women lose for three weeks out of every month. Other women lose a lot one week of the month and not much at all the other three weeks. Try to think of your daily weight as data. It's just information. Are you graphing it? Sometimes it can be very helpful to step back and see the trend over time, because the daily fluctuations can drive us a little nuts.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #7  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica2231 View Post
ok thank you! how will i know when i hit a plataeu. and if nothing changes in a week or two what should i do?
If you see no change over a week or two, I would recommend doing nothing except sticking to your plan. A week or two is not enough time to tell if a change is needed.

If you see no change over 4-6 weeks of really sticking to your plan, that is when it is time to make changes.

You are doing the right thing to weigh yourself often and watch the patterns that develop. I, and many other women here, follow a whoosh-bounce-hold pattern. I tend to lose in a quick burst, a "whoosh", of several pounds over a few days. Then I bounce back a pound or two, and then hold (or fluctuate up and down about a pound) for a couple of weeks. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Quote:
If only it were linear. oh wow that seems long. but its probly cuz im just starting out. thank you.
This is a good insight. I've been at this for almost two years, so 2 weeks doesn't seem like very long to me. But I am sure you are right, that in the beginning, it would have seemed like an eternity to see no loss for 2 weeks.

Try to be patient and take a longer term view - I know it's hard. Think "What matters is not that I weigh less than I did yesterday or even a week ago; what matters is that I weigh less than I did a month or two ago."

Quote:
It does! It feels like I have done nothing this whole week! even though I've worked really hard.
Then what you have accomplished is that you've worked really hard and stayed on plan. Be proud of that! Trust your plan and give it time.

Quote:
I just ended TOM though shouldnt i be losing excess water? sometimes all this is so confusing.
Everyone's patterns are different, and you have to do the science experiment to detect your own patterns. My own whooshes are not that tightly correlated with the end of my period - maybe they come a week or two later, maybe they come the week before. Also if you are anything like me, your period doesn't really end abruptly so much as peters out over a few days, so maybe that whoosh is still coming.

Hang in there. Trust your plan. Take a longer term view.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/144/125

I've kept track of my daily weight for almost the last year. Recently I went back and actually looked at everything and I realized that every 4-6 weeks I would have a week of the scale not moving (which would ALWAYS result in a binge night from me being bummed) and then it would keep going down for another 4-6 weeks or so.

Don't stress! Our bodies are so weird. Just keep going strong and the scale will move! Even if the scale doesn't move, inches could! I'm kind of neurotic (lol) and keep track of everything for progress. There were weeks I lost a pound but more inches and weeks I lost 3 and no inches. Those times I lost the higher weight and less inches- my calories were too low so it wasn't even fat loss.

Don't let the scale be the only judge of your progress or you'll go nuts!

Congrats on sticking on plan for the last month and your 12 pound loss!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Out of curiosity, Kendra, did this plateau week tie in with your menstrual cycle by any chance?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

just keep going-it will work out and one day you'll step on the scale and be SHOCKED dont give up!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #11  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I never lose the week of my period. You'd think that I'd atleast see a change when the water retention is over, but nope. Always right back to the weight I was 2 days before I started.

It sure feels like a stall when you put forth effort (especially during TOM when my cravings are monstrous) and get no reward, but you just have to look at the bigger picture...as in how much weight you lost this month as opposed to how much you lose this week.

I seem to gain very easily that week, so I can't just say screw it and eat more because I know I'm not going to lose. Life is not fair Just gotta keep plugging along anyway.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/144/125

It was always the week AFTER tom. I lose great before and during but the week after almost always sucks for me scale wise. It's like my body is backwards
Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #13  
HijabiMommaBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
You're doing great. It takes awhile to figure out our patterns on this. And then as soon as you figure it out, it will probably change! .
thank you. the scale makes me go crazy when its not goin down. and makes me feel defeated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
If you see no change over a week or two, I would recommend doing nothing except sticking to your plan. A week or two is not enough time to tell if a change is needed.

If you see no change over 4-6 weeks of really sticking to your plan, that is when it is time to make changes.
Try to be patient and take a longer term view - I know it's hard.
Then what you have accomplished is that you've worked really hard and stayed on plan. Be proud of that! Trust your plan and give it time.
Everyone's patterns are different, and you have to do the science experiment to detect your own patterns. Hang in there. Trust your plan. Take a longer term view.
first of all thank you for taking the time to sit and breakdown all my questions and concerns. It is now mon 6-6-11 and i still am at the same weight. The difference is I now have some more knowledge and insight. i screwed up a bit over the weekend but am still at the same weight. haha i was actually ok with it this weekend after cheating myself. but i am now today and as long as possible sticking to plan and then will have cheat in a couple weeks. thank you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrab1223 View Post
I've kept track of my daily weight for almost the last year. Recently I went back and actually looked at everything and I realized that every 4-6 weeks I would have a week of the scale not moving (which would ALWAYS result in a binge night from me being bummed) and then it would keep going down for another 4-6 weeks or so.

Don't stress! Our bodies are so weird. Just keep going strong and the scale will move! Even if the scale doesn't move, inches could! I'm kind of neurotic (lol) and keep track of everything for progress. There were weeks I lost a pound but more inches and weeks I lost 3 and no inches. Those times I lost the higher weight and less inches- my calories were too low so it wasn't even fat loss.

Don't let the scale be the only judge of your progress or you'll go nuts!

Congrats on sticking on plan for the last month and your 12 pound loss!!!
wow i am so going to start graphing it! thank you!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #14  
HijabiMommaBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitetoobreakkskin View Post
just keep going-it will work out and one day you'll step on the scale and be SHOCKED dont give up!
i cant wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady1978 View Post
I never lose the week of my period. You'd think that I'd atleast see a change when the water retention is over, but nope. Always right back to the weight I was 2 days before I started.

It sure feels like a stall when you put forth effort (especially during TOM when my cravings are monstrous) and get no reward, but you just have to look at the bigger picture...as in how much weight you lost this month as opposed to how much you lose this week.

I seem to gain very easily that week, so I can't just say screw it and eat more because I know I'm not going to lose. Life is not fair Just gotta keep plugging along anyway.
thank you, i know exactly how that feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrab1223 View Post
It was always the week AFTER tom. I lose great before and during but the week after almost always sucks for me scale wise. It's like my body is backwards
oh how weird! yesterday marked a full week after my TOM maybe i am the same way!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #15  
is chubby

I always gain a pound the week before TOM and the lose it ofc course all once TOM starts.
My weight loss isn't linear either. I excersize daily and never eat unhealthily and yet I stay the same for five days and then lose one pound over night.
I do not think it can really be predicted what your body will do.
It has to do with so many things...
Closed Thread