Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #1  
Today I am proud of...me!

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default V8 Juice??

Specifically the V8 Vfusion blueberry pomegranate.......I have been counting points for this at 3 points+.

I know, I know....I should be eating fresh fruit and not drinking juice. And I do, I eat fruits and veggies throughout the day, but juice is handy when I am in a hurry or busy at work. I was wondering since the juice is 100% fruit juice, should I count points for it since the juice includes sweet potatoes? Or would it be 0 since it is fruit and vegetable juice?

Also - it claims that there is a full serving of fruits and a full serving of vegetables in a serving.........so would that count towards my daily GHG's?

Or not since it is not the actual fruit/vegetable?

I just was not sure how 100% juice fit in to the points plus program.....

thanks!
DisneyDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #2  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I don't think you can count juice as free, no matter how many fruits or veggies it claims to contain. When we EAT fruits and veggies, our bodies expend energy to break them down. When we drink them, they're already broken down so that sugar gets absorbed immediately.

I'd calculate the points per serving and count it. Yet another reason to eat your fruit. Grabbing a banana or an apple on the go is just as easy.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #3  

No juice is free. You ruin the fiber and remove some of the nutrition when you make it into juice. Count 3 points for it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #4  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Definitely count the points for it. (Which, as Lisa points out, is another reason to go for fresh fruit. 1/2 cup of apple juice costs me 2 points. An apple costs me 0. So I always go for the actual apple.)

I'm not sure about counting the juice towards your GHG.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #5  
Today I am proud of...me!

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Thanks! I knew I was probably going to have to count those darn points. The problem is I attend A LOT of meetings for my job (like daily 2-3 meetings) and some last 1-2 hours, and I can't really munch on an apple during a meeting or eat anything. But, everyone brings drinks. Most the time I bring water, but if I am hungry I grab a little thing of juice to tide me over.

I generally eat the actual fruit or vegetable as much as possible, but sometimes I can't.
DisneyDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

My understanding is that juices and dried fruits do not count towards the GHG. And, of course, you must count points for them.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #7  
Less of a Better Me

What size serving are you drinking? I'm sometimes drink the small spicy V8 cans and they are 1 point (they do have 2 points of fiber in them so they aren't fiber free, but nonetheless you must count points for juice).

Last edited by Koshka; 06-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #8  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDieter View Post
Thanks! I knew I was probably going to have to count those darn points. The problem is I attend A LOT of meetings for my job (like daily 2-3 meetings) and some last 1-2 hours, and I can't really munch on an apple during a meeting or eat anything. But, everyone brings drinks. Most the time I bring water, but if I am hungry I grab a little thing of juice to tide me over.

I generally eat the actual fruit or vegetable as much as possible, but sometimes I can't.
Can you plan ahead and prepare a protein shake for those meetings? Or make yourself a smoothie (yogurt and fresh fruit - only the points in the yogurt would count)?

If you need to drink your points, I'd go for something with more substance than fruit juice.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

There is so much sodium in those types of drinks that it is best to stay away from them. If your meetings are 1-2 hrs long, then maybe you can just plan to eat a little snack inbetween them. It is possible to do. The drinks are tasty, but the added sodium and preservatives isnt worth it.
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #10  

Exclamation All Concentrated Fruit Juices should be avoided

*Just realized I replied to an old thread! Hope it helps, anyway!

Hi all. Hope everyone is well.
I found this forum while researching fruit juices. I just now joined to let you know what I've learned today and over time. I haven't done a complete search here so if this is redundant, forgive me.

1) I have a good friend who is a doctor and a mother and she won't drink juice or give it to her children because it is bad enough in different ways that it's best to avoid it. She wonders why I buy it at all, ever.

2) The FAT ISSUE: Though there are other reasons to avoid it, I'll stick to the forum topic. Concentrated fruit juice is basically just sugar to your body- acting on it the same way cane sugar acts- and keeps you in fat-storage mode rather than fat-burning mode.

3) I know this all to be true directly because I have not lost any more weight since I began drinking a V8 fusion light juice mix-- even though I eat the best balance of foods. I haven't gained much, either, but I was losing before. I am doing this for now as an urgent measure because I've had a string of traumatic events in my life and I have an illness so I do not have the energy to prepare foods or buy fresh foods as often as I'd like-- so it's the easiest way for me to get the vitamins in it and make sure I drink enough fluids. I need to stop soon, though, as I want to continue losing weight.

Best wishes to all.
-ChikkaLee the Singer

PS: I am new here-- what is a "Trackback?" and where would one send it to?

Last edited by ChikkaLee; 06-21-2013 at 06:58 PM.
ChikkaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/See Ticker/130

Height: 4"11

If you drink it in moderation yes, but just remember..a lot of juices, even V8 fusion, have sugar or salt added to it! Be watchful!
Krissypants29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/See Ticker/130

Height: 4"11

Ive pretty much almost given up on all juices..my drinks are now green tea and water...loootss of water..sounds boring right? But you get to treat yourself every now and again to some crappy orange juice
Krissypants29 is offline   Reply With Quote