Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default *** June Chat ***

Welcome to the lovely month of June! Around here this means BBQ, salads, asparagus and local strawberries towards the end. Aside from food it also means roses, peonies, iris, lemon lilies and my grandmother's mock orange scenting the air at night.

May was somewhat disappointing - my BGL was all over the place and I gained some weight and didn't lose it all. I ended up with a two pound loss though. I guess I'll bite the bullet and change my ticker. The 170s will happen later this month, I'm sure. So will my next HA1C.

Life is pretty stressful these days but I am trying hard to make myself a priority with better eating and taking some "me" time every day. Falling asleep in front of the TV does not count but relaxing on the deck with the dogs counts!

What's your "me" time?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Ruth: I too had the best afternoon/evening. I left work early for DD and I to go to the dentist, (just routine cleaning and checkups) and got fitted for a snoreguard. I am going away for my vacation and would like an alternative to the cpap for my sleep apnea. I get it in a week and will have a few days to "test drive" the thing before I go.
After that DD and I went to see baby Lilia (my not quite grandbaby) and took popsicles for us and mama, so we all had a nice but sticky visit. Good treat on a hot day.
So, just a few words about low carb. This has different meanings to most people, but in general, we diabetics have to count carbs. And most of us find that the carb recommendations from dietitians spike our sugars too much. We often go with low glycemic carbs, and reduce carbs. Me, I think if under 100g carbs a day, we are doing low carb. It doesn't mean atkins induction all the way. I only do induction a week or two at a time, I hover around about 40g/day most of the time. Some people can do much more and still lose weight or maintain.
I find I lose the ability to stick with plan if I start eating too many carbs, and starchy stuff really drives the cravings so I try to stay away.
South Beach is a relatively low carb way of eating, and sticks to low glycemic and really healthy carbs. I think its great for most diabetics.
Having said all that, I am going to have breakfast now!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

Totally agree, Mad. South Beach is a great plan. My problem is eating too many healthy carbs, bread and pasta in particular. I did stick with a really low carb supper last night - salsa chicken and asparagus and had a good reading this morning. I may start tracking my carbs on Fitday and aim to keep them under 100. I really want to be halfway to my temporary goal by the end of this month and have a good A1C then too.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #4  

Height: 5'2"

Good morning all. First day back on the beach went good. Tried some greek yogurt with walnuts for breakfast this morning and it was yummy! Still hot and huid here today. Expecting thunderstorms this evening and hopfully it will cool down. Stressed here as well. Looking for a job is not that easy when what you did is mostly outsourced and not done too much in America anymore, and the skills that you have don't really apply to any other field. Still looking and hopefully something will come along soon. Off to take my son to school. Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good morning all.

fbs is 81 this morning and was good last night, also. I really hope that it is not annoying for me to post bs readings - it is my own accountability. I will stop if it isn't ok with everyone. As a relatively "new" diabetic, I feel like I really have to stay on it.

I like the chat about south beach and what is "low carb". I have told people that I eat relatively low carb and they freak out when I eat a 15 to 20 carb meal. I was also told by a kidney doc that I need to avoid the extreme low carb high protein diets. I guess the lesson is that we all need to do what is good for us and what works best for our bodies. I don't consider my plan to be south beach but I learned alot from that plan about how to fill my plate in a healthy way.

We had a young friend of my son over last night for a barbeque. Fresh veggies and meat cooked on the grill. Yum - and totally on plan!

Hi Lindy! I just ate my first greek yogurt for breakfast this am. Chobani greek yogurt with peach flavoring. 20 carbs. My Goodness! that was yummy and I am very full. I will have to get some more. We also bought some plain greek yogurt as my son likes to make sauces and I thought this would be a good base. This is all quite the adventure for a Montana farm girl who ate meat and potatoes with burgers as snacks.

I just passed through most of my stressful work time with a successful audit. Now for budget hearings in two weeks and I will be smooth sailing for the summer. My knee is healing and I have two days of light aerobic workouts done. That is a relief. I am woried that my June weigh in will be bad because of the vacation and the minimal excercise. Oh, well, if I have one month that isn't great, I will just hit it hard the next month.

Fatmad, I appreciate the clarification about carb levels. All those "almost" gk are great fun, aren't they?

Ruth, here in my yard there is the scent of lilacs. A lovely flower that only lasts a short time. The iris are almost ready to pop. I have been taking 30 minutes by myself to sit on the back steps and read the last couple of days. It is nice that it is not raining here!

I hope that you all have a lovely day. I am off to pool league after work tonight. Talk to you tomorrow!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Now Reimontana, where else would we talk about our BGL than here? Most folks would think we were speaking another language. You are lucky to still have lilacs - mine were pretty much ruined by the rain. I am about to spend some "me" time on the shady side of the back deck. I need to get the front porch in order - mainly cleaned up - so I can sit out there if it rains.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well, I have had a great OP day. Got up this morning and the 7 lbs I gained on the trip was gone plus another pound was gone. My BGL is still up, but that will come back down too in a few days.

I guess I too am doing low carb, but not as low as atkins. I eat a lot of fruits and eat a lot of veggie soups and salads more like Montana. However, I'm not counting carbs, calories or points. Just eating healthy foods and watching portions. This is how my doc suggested that I eat and I must say that I'm enjoying it.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #8  
Madeleine

Ok, one more time, atkins low carb can be as much and 100g/day for maintenance, and ongoing weight loss is often 40-80g/day, depending on the individual. Only in induction is it about 20-30/day! Surprised?
So I stayed on plan today, and made a cheesecake for tomorrow's potluck. I was trying to use up some stuff in the fridge that was getting close to stale dated. I have found a great way to make the crust.....
melt chocolate, add splenda and ground almonds, a little extra butter to keep it soft, and press into the pan. yum. Its the easiest "cake" to make sugar free, since the sugar isn't used for bulk, just sweetness.
Sugars are stable, and I have no problem with hearing about exact levels for people, I like everything we chat about. Whatever keeps us going is just right!
Realized today, that yesterdays enchanted evening on the deck was the first time in ages I felt contentment. That special combination of peace and happiness was just..... present. Left me feeling good all day.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #9  

Mad I meant not Atkins Induction. I saw where someone asked how we diabetics eat. I read Volumetrics while on my trip and I've been reading through the threads here on 3fc and found that this way of eating is not anything new. In fact, many actually call it Whole Foods or Clean Eating on here. It can be used to in many different ways... some do it with low carb, some counting calories and it also is very much similar to the new Weight Watcher Points Plus Program. I'm actually using it with Intuitive Eating and just need to tweak it. Dropping 8 lbs in 2 days (7 that I gained on my trip plus 1 more) shows me that this way of eating will work for me.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

Good morning. I indulged in a beer with a friend yesterday afternoon, the first since last summer when I think I drank three in the four months. I thought my BGL might be up this morning but a lower carb supper kept things down. I also dropped a pound overnight and was thrilled to change my ticker. Silly things but...

Mad, that elusive feeling of contentment is just wonderful. ( "soft winds and roses" Gord Lightfoot always gets me.) Sitting on my deck with the dogs for a dawn coffee or for some pre-bedtime tea does it for me. These evenings there are fireflies as well as the lights of the jets flying the Toronto/Ottawa run which remind me of the bad old working days when I sometimes felt I lived on a plane!

Today will be another active day with more Village planting to do but I have healthy meals planned and prepped. You can't eat meals that are just on paper!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #11  

Good Morning.

fbs up a little at 97 this morning. I didn't sleep well.

Fatmad - you go girl! That is the best post (as far as how you are feeling) in a long time. Sounds wonderful. I like the crust idea for the cheesecake. I was overjoyed to find that cheesecake is the most adaptable desert for me. I can leave cake and pie, but I looooovvveee cheesecake.

Ruth - good job on the pound and on enjoying the beer! Sometimes a reasonable amount of alchohol actually lowers my sugars. I think it is because of how it reacts with metformin. Keep enjoying that deck!

Pattygirl - Wow, way to take the weight off! It sounds like you are really back on track. Good for you.

Today I have some contract negotiations and then my work week is over. Pool was fun last night despite the fact that I played terrible. TTL
Old 06-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #12  

Ruthie - Congrats on the 1 lb loss. Your time on the deck sounds wonderful. I think I need to get back to sitting on my back porch; I always enjoy the quiet, calming, relaxed feelings. I loved the "You can't eat meals that are just on paper!" thought. So so true.

Montana - Yes, I am back on track and actually enjoying the way I'm eating. I forgot about how alcohol works with Metformin and seems to lower the BGL. I'm still working to get that back down and just may have a small amount with dinner. Eating in restaurants and eating so much fast food during my vacation did a number on the BS. Also I've been taking Metformin since I got home, which I didn't do on the trip and I don't think I need it as it is just making me groggy during the day. A real struggle to get moving which doesn't help FBGL. I was so busy during vacation that I crashed every night around 9 or 10 and slept like a baby.

Mad I too love the idea of how to make the cheesecake. Strange how I can give up a lot of sweets but I love cheesecake and it is so easy to make it lowfat/lowcarb and sugar free and it taste as divine as it did with all the bad stuff. I WILL be adding your crust to my recipes. What a "legal" treat that will be.

Lindy87 I came home from TX appreciating the weather here in SC. We are having record highs in the 90's, but at least it isn't humid like it was in TX. Glad you like the Greek yogurt; I haven't acquired a taste for it yet. I know I should as it is soooo healthy for me. Since I'm eating more fruit, I think it would be palatible with fruit and nuts and maybe even a little bit of Stevia.

After reading the Whole Foods section on beans last night made me hungry for beans so I've got a pot of red beans cooking as a soup to lower the engergy-density and will eat some of it later this evening. We are having tacos for our main meal today. Mine will be made with loads of veggies as a taco salad and then snacks will be fruit and veggies. I had a homemade lowfat version of a Bacon/egg McMuffin with loads of raw veggies to keep the engergy-density lower for breakfast. Actually did make me feel full. You know this is the way I ate when I lived with my aunt who insisted on 3 healthy meals a day and we ate a lot of fruit and veggies and beans. She was very much into eating healthy and bought a lot of things at the Health Food Store. She lived to be 91 yrs old. I was going to a diet doctor at the time and was very active and lost a lot of weight, but I always thought it was the diet doctor that contributed to the weight loss. Now I realize that the doc may have helped with the weight loss, but the healthy eating was the reason I felt so good and actually contributed to it being the time in my life that was the healthiest I have ever been in my life. I do wonder why we have to get so smart/or wise so late in life.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #13  
Madeleine

I like the volumetrics approach too, and on atkins the veggies we eat help to provide the volume. Fat also helps that feeling of fullness.
Started my holiday today, and will be off for 4 weeks. I have a trip in there, and will leave on the 12th of June, I will likely be out of touch for that time.
I am going to South Africa for a conference, and then touring with a friend.
we just finalized the details today, and I am pretty excited about it.
thanks for the about my nice evening. two days later that memory persists and gives me a good feeling. ups and downs feel like..... ups and downs.
This is how I felt before depression hit me, I remember it well. DOn't know if it will last, but its nice to know it can happen again.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #14  

Good morning everyone!

fbs at 92 this morning and I got in a 45 minute workout. Still not sleeping well. I have decided that it is because I am so stuffed up - the cotton from the cotton wood trees is really flying. Yesterday I drove down to the river and drove through a spot that was just like snow, I was immediately stuffed up. Lightbulb! I wake early everymorning with a dry and sore throat.

Fatmad. What a nice post. South Africa? wow, that sounds absolutely wonderful! I have never been out of the states (except to Canada - I don't think that counts) lol. I think it is one of our faults as Americans, we don't have enough appreciation for the rest of the world to travel. I can't wait to hear about your trip. I am also glad that you are having some ups with the downs.

Trish, beans sound good. I have never really cooked with them, except just adding some to soup or chili. What is energy-density?

I have a question for some of you more experienced folks. I was reading some of the original nutrition recommendations and looking at some of the diabetes sites for recipes. I don't understand why they say that 45 carbs per meal plus 15-25 for snacks is acceptable. I don't think that I could maintain bs control at that level, let alone lose weight. Any insight?

Have a lovely day.
Rie
Old 06-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #15  

Montana A food that is of high energy density provides a large amount of calories in a small weight, while food of low energy density has fewer calories for the same weight. Foods with lower engery density can be eaten in larger portions for the same calories. One example given in the book was 1/4 c of raisins is 100 calories, but you could eat nearly 2 c grapes for the same 100 calories. By using low density food to make recipes, or as Mad stated eaten with protein a higher density food, you will feel fuller or more satisfied than when you don't eat them. Adding water and/or water veggies to cassaroles can make a difference in the amount of energy density thus determining the size of portion you can have. Also read in the book that what causes a potato to become a high density food rather than a low is what you put on it... most people smother it with butter. I found it very interesting that when eaten plain it is very low density; if you eat it with lowfat or ff sour cream it is low density.

This morning I got up and had a volumetrics low energy density breakfast... a 2 egg omlet with loads of veggies making it low energy density. Actual when you think about it, South Beach is an eneergy density. Helps me understand why you can eat some of the foods you are allowed. Turns out it is the combining of certain foods to make it volumetric and low energy density. I may end up just going by SBD as I make food plans now that I understand why it works.

Mad I've been to Mexico when a teenager with my family and DH took me to Canada a few years ago. Can't say I have any desire to go anywhere else out of the states at this time although that could change someday. You have a great trip and we will look forward to your return and news of your experiences.

Ruthie, Lindyloo, Lindy87 and Everyone else

Have a great Friday and weekend.
Closed Thread