Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #1  

Default Need advice: Best type of exercise for arms

Hi all!

I am new to the exercise world and am in need of some advice.
I am wanting to tone up the flab under my arms.
I enjoy to use kettlebells the most and was wondering if anyone knew the most effective exercises to help tone arms with. It doesn't necessarily have to be with kettlebells...I am up for anything.
Any websites or specific workouts that have worked for you would be awesome!!

Thanks so much!
boatgirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Your best bet is not to fool around much with isolation exercises that only work your arms.

Pushups will work your chest, shoulder, and tricep muscles.

Pullups will work your back and biceps. Use palm facing you. Use assistance bands if you're not strong enough to do pullups.

If you don't want to do pullups for some reason you can do one arm bent over dumbell rows.

Those two exercises + lose fat = toned arms + toned shoulders + toned backed.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I agree with JohnP, although I also do bicep curls and tricep pushdowns with tubing.
Depending on your age, how much weight you still need to lose, how much weight you've lost, you still might have the underarm flab. I do

Last edited by ddc; 06-01-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: too many also's
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #4  

Thank you johnP and ddc!

JohnP, I will definitely do the pushups then. I'll do some research on correct form and stuff cuz last time I did pushups was in gym at school. :/
As for the pullups, I am up for that but I do not go to the gym or anything, I do my stuff at home due to lack of money to join the gym. Not to sure what I could use to pull myself up on yanno?
What is one arm bent over dumbbell rows mean exactly?
I appreciate all your help!

ddc, I am 24, 5'6 and am fluentating in the 190's although I went all the way up to 220 at my heaviest a couple years ago. I'm very worried about having extra skin and stuff. At 17-18, I went from 140 to 220 in a year. I had never been overweight before that. Results were very stretched skin along with the stretch marks. I know I will never get rid of the stretch marks but I am hoping to atleast tone up the skin. I wonder if I will be able too?

Thanks for the help again both of you!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Pushups

Bend over dumbell row

Walmart sells a really ugly cheap plastic weight set for $20. You can use a chair you don't need a bench.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #6  

While those suggested great exercises to strengthen your body, I would suggest expanding your mind to embrace an overall healthy change.

1. Mentally. What happened when you were 17 that made you want to eat so much that enabled you to put on the extra weight? Don't answer that here, just ask yourself that. Address it.

2. Assuming you're not over 6 feet tall, being in the 190s suggest you have concentrated on an area that currently is bothersome to you, perhaps due to warm weather and shorter sleeves. Look at the whole package. Is doing some push ups and pull ups going to give you the results your entire body needs?

3. Don't look at it as a couple of exercises. Prepare your mind for an entire lifestyle change. Research what your healthy and strong body should be for your height then research some more about changing your eating habits as well as your exercise habits and embrace what needs to be done do be a more effective "machine".

It is my belief that part of the yo-yo weight fluctuations we see is that the effort changing body part's appearance may give temporary results, never 100% and never in one spot. This leads to disappointment and giving up. Coupled with a temporary demand for more calories, this, in turn, makes hunger increase and if a lifestyle change is not in place, one will eat more and exercise less and gain more weight than what the person weighed before they even started their endeavor weighed.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Planks and the varieties that come along with them are wonderful too. Side planks, dolphin planks, these work your arms, upper back, core, etc as a unit. Consider including both static and dynamic planks into your routine for maximum benefit.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #8  

Thanks so much JohnP. I checked out those sites and they explain perfectly...even better that it has videos that demonstrate. I've stuck it in my favorites folder and am going to incorporate it in my evening workout.

fitness4life- I have embraced an overall lifestyle change. I have come to terms to why I gained the weight and am dealing with that aspect of it. I am on a total lifestyle change with my diet and exercise. This post might have came off as I was wanting to just concentrate on my arms but that's not it at all.
I also do cardio everyday and weight training. I was just wanting to incorporate some good arm exercises in my evening workouts as I do various things each day. But thank you for all the advice and suggestions. It never hurts to reflect on all that stuff again to make sure I'm on the right track for the right reasons so I won't have temporary results.

Indiblue- not to sure what planks are, but I am going to do some research to find out. Thanks for the tips!!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Planks are like the start of a pushup position, except instead of being on the hands and feet you're on the forearms and feet. Example: http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm

There are tons of variations- one armed/one legged, dolphin pose, side plank, reverse plank, etc. Just google "Plank Variations" and you'll get a lot of sites with photos.

Planks are great because they work multiple muscle groups and don't need any equipment!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #10  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

For what it's worth, I'd recommend swimming if you have access to a pool. 60 minutes of alternating breast and back strokes will do WONDERS for your arms if you do it 3-5x a week.

I don't do almost any type of exercise-exercise (lunges, crunches, planks, squats, etc... ) because I find it boring - my main form of exercise comes from biking, hiking and swimming and if I do say so myself, my arms & shoulders look awesome after just 2 weeks of swimming (just got our pool recently but I was on swim team for years as a teen)!
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #11  

I like the Essentrics and Classical Stretch workouts, they
have a very good arm exercise section.

Its on You tube under Essentrics weight free arm toning

Looks easy, but give it a try!

Last edited by jahra; 06-09-2011 at 03:04 PM.
jahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #12  

You can also try arm movements from dance like Flamenco and
Belly dance. You might want to try some of these then move
on the the suggestions above.
jahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #13  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It's not JUST arms but wow my arms have gotten much smaller. Still big, my sleeves or so much looser. And I haven't even done it for 30 days straight yet :/. Just a thought though.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote