General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #1  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Default The power of the mind - Milkshake v Milkshake

Interesting.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #2  

Thanks for sharing. Definitely something to think about........
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

OK, time to think up some new names for my regular meals. That salad I always eat for lunch will be Verdant Goddess Bacchanalia. My morning egg beaters: Hearty Powerhouse Abundanza. Yogurt and berries = Creamy Summer Indulgence. Stir-fried veggies: Exotic Spice and Herb Harvest. Hey... you know what... I think I can see this working!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #4  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

yoyoma - I want your stir fried veg now LOL
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Yes - that stir fry sounds decedant. I think it is probably worth going off plan for.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #6  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Thanks, that is a really interesting article.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

*gasp* I want some of that Exotic Spice & Herb Harvest Stirfry!

Thanks for the article. I'm going to have to start looking at my food differently. Everything can be decadent!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #8  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Thanks for the interesting read.... I agree with Lovely; I'm definitely going to have to start looking at my food differently!
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

LOL! Looks like I've been doing something right. One of the differences I committed to "this time" was not looking at "diet food" as deprivation - making my food as sensually decadent as possible.

One of my favorite emotionally "decadent" treats is roasted eggplant. I cut japanese eggplant (the long, thin ones) into chunks, toss with a little bit of oil to coat, and then add in ranch dressing powder to coat lightly (or other seasoning mix) and then bake at 400 degrees until the edges are carmelized, and the eggplant has this soft, silky, amazing texture that contrasts with the crispy edges.

I don't usually make this as a side dish to a meal, I make it in the evening as a snack of pure indulgence. I also tend to eat it alone, especially after my husband caught the look on my face one evening as I was eating it (closing my eyes to savor each bite, as I chew deliberately and slowly). He said I looked like I was having a sexual experience.

I have to say, it was as close as I've ever found a non-sugar food to acheive - OMG, absolutely heavenly.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-02-2011 at 12:17 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #10  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Okay, now I know what I'm making for a snack tomorrow. I love eggplant ridiculously much and have been thinking about making some eggplant "caviar" (which I'll post the recipe for over in the "food finds" folder now that I'm thinking about it) but the roasting and the ranch and the crispy/creamy contrast sounds outstanding.

That article fascinated me! I wonder if the reason I've had more success this time is that I've tried to re-frame what I'm doing as an additive process--adding a wider range of fruits and vegetables, adding more home-cooked meals, adding treats--instead of seeing my diet as an entirely subtractive thing? It's astonishing how much control the mind has over the body. And I can certainly see how all the low-fat (but carb-rich) stuff I remember being popular in the '80s and '90s led to overeating in the context of this study; not-so-healthful foods labeled as healthful are a double whammy.

Thank you for posting that, John; I'm going to keep that information very much in mind the next time I make a meal or snack.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote