Old 05-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #1  

Default Healthy breakfast ideas

Hi all, I wondered if any of you had ideas for a healthy breakfast?

Currently, my breakfast consists of Special K cereal which isnt that great cause I recently find out it has a lot of sugar in it.

I know wholemeal is very good for you so I've brought some wholemeal bread so I can have a slice of toast with some low fat butter and some fruit.

Anyone got any other ideas?

I tried Shredded Wheat but that is far too bland for me and I hate the taste of milk. Also not keen on muesli so running low on ideas!

Thanks

Last edited by iris22; 05-31-2011 at 07:16 PM.
iris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #2  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I find that I need a good amount of protein to keep me sated for any amount of time. I like egg whites (sometimes with a whole egg in there if I have the calories) with lots of veggies and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar. I like toast with pb when I'm in a hurry, too.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I'm not sure what your version of healthy is (everyone's is different), but some of my favorites are...

Cottage cheese on an english muffin & a piece of fruit.
Quick scrambled egg whites and turkey bacon.
Oat bran with a sprinkle of dried fruit/nuts and maple syrup or brown sugar.
Hard boiled egg white, slice of toast, piece of fruit

Things like that.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 281/ticker/180

Height: 5'5

How about steal cut oats. I make a batch and keep in the frig in single serve containers. That way it is quick, easy and out the door.

I also don't like milk, but I have found that fruit (banana or strawberries) and splenda makes the shredded wheat easier to eat.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I like Greek yogurt with fruit mixed in, a scrambled egg with veg. mixed in, oatmeal, or a good almond milk smoothie with a half a frozen banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter. If I want something on the go, I like to eat string cheese sticks (one low fat string cheese stick is around 60 cals...).
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I usually have a boring breakfast....hard boiled egg with either some apple or some celery.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #7  
Quitting is NOT an option

S/C/G: SCG: 224/218/130

Height: 5'1

We have a family friend who is from Greece. Her parents visit every summer. I *love* sitting down for breakfast with them. In the US, we tend to eat a lot of heavy, fatty foods for breakfast. They have boiled eggs, some sort of bread, and tons and ttooonnnsss of fresh fruit. I don't think they've eaten bacon or cereal for breakfast in their entire life. Breakfasting with them is always delightful. Her mother has a knack for picking out fruit, and her father is one of the best historians I've ever met.

I usually skip breakfast (bad, I know), but when I do get the chance, my norm is yogurt, a whole fruit, and an egg. The yogurt alone is pretty filling, and you can get it for as little as 80-90 calories per serving. If I can swing it, bread is my weakness too.
FlipFlop Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #8  
By God's Grace

I meant to say that I normally have fruit with breakfast. I usually go with the philosophy that no meal is complete without at least one fruit or vegetable.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #9  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

On the Dukan diet, you have a serving of oat bran every day. I make a pancake with an egg, a spoonful of fat free yogurt, a splash of milk, 2 tbs of oat bran, a pack of splenda and whatever spices I want - sometimes cocoa powder and an extract, sometimes cinnamon, or you can also leave out the splenda and use more savory spices.

They are really quite tasty!

That's my main carb source most days, but they may not work for someone trying to stay very low carb. And you can use an egg white rather than a whole egg if you want to cut the calories/fat more.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlop Love View Post
We have a family friend who is from Greece. Her parents visit every summer. I *love* sitting down for breakfast with them. In the US, we tend to eat a lot of heavy, fatty foods for breakfast. They have boiled eggs, some sort of bread, and tons and ttooonnnsss of fresh fruit. I don't think they've eaten bacon or cereal for breakfast in their entire life. Breakfasting with them is always delightful. Her mother has a knack for picking out fruit, and her father is one of the best historians I've ever met.

I usually skip breakfast (bad, I know), but when I do get the chance, my norm is yogurt, a whole fruit, and an egg. The yogurt alone is pretty filling, and you can get it for as little as 80-90 calories per serving. If I can swing it, bread is my weakness too.
Oh, I got to go to Greece a few summers ago, and let me tell you that breakfast there WAS delightful! I love the boiled eggs and fruit and cheeses. Oh Greece, I miss you so!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:04 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

This is my favorite recipes for Heart Healthy hot oat meal.
I do not use salt so it has 0 mg sodium.

Vanilla Cinnamon Oatmeal
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup 100% whole grain old fashioned oats
1 packet of Sweet n Low

1.Place the water in a microwave safe cereal dish

2.Add the oats, cinnamon and vanilla.stir with a spoon

Note: you will find the cinnamon does not mix well but don't worry about it once heated it will mix.

3 Heat in your microwave uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes on high watching carefully.

4 When you see the oatmeal rise in the bowl almost to the top of the bowl turn off the microwave.

5. Add the Sweet N Low and mix again with the spoon. You will find the cinnamon now mixes easily.

6. Let stand 2 minutes to thicken and enjoy.

Larry
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #12  

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'll have to try some out

If I have a piece of wholemeal toast everyday, is that too much?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #13  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I eat Kashi Go Lean sprinkled with cinnamon, 1/4 cup of blueberries, and light vanilla soy milk. This is almost every day for me. I will on occasion eat Greek yogurt with fruit, but I usually do that for lunch.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #14  
By God's Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris22 View Post
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'll have to try some out

If I have a piece of wholemeal toast everyday, is that too much?
Too much for what?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #15  

Sorry. Had problems on my phone replying. I meant to ask:

Would it be too many calories per week (for breakfast) to have a piece of wholemeal toast per day with a bit of low fat margarine? Just wondering because I know having white bread toast would probably be quite unhealthy so wondered if having 1 slice of wholemeal toast per day for breakfast would be healthy and not too many calories

Last edited by iris22; 06-01-2011 at 02:58 PM.