Old 05-27-2011, 04:06 AM   #1  

Talking Nilla Bean turns 1! (Pic heavy)

Call me a dork all you want, but I absolutely adore my dog as though she were my child (while still treating her LIKE a dog), so it should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me (and it really didn't lol) that I took May 26th off as a vacation day because it was her birthday.

I overspent my scant budget, but not by a terribly large amount (thankfully) and I got her everything I wanted to get. We had a fun day, although I have to pick up the pieces of the already-rotten garden fence she barreled through outside while I was trying (and not succeeding) to BBQ a nice steak earlier tonight.

Her big "present" was a nice foam bed. She sleeps most of the time when I'm at the computer underneath the desk and given that it is an Ikea desk, there isn't much room under there. When I have to kick her out to do my work (since I use a foot pedal) she becomes annoyed. So, I bought the bed to put beside me so she can still be close and comfortable. What annoyed me though is the bed, which is 40 x 36, cost $59. The larger one, which was something like 70 x 40 originally cost $100 but tomorrow is on sale for $49. I was going to get that one but it would have been too big for my living room. And, of course, the medium sized one (the one I bought) isn't on sale tomorrow.

But, all that aside, it's a nice bed. "Orthopedic" foam and a fleece covering on top with the sides and bottom being quilted canvas-type material. She's sleeping on it right now, snug as a bug in a rug.

I also made her a cake. A human cake. I know, I'm a bad dog-mommy! I made a white cake and despite having a whole cup of sugar (I really should have cut back on it), it wasn't that sweet. It was kind of like a cakey sugar cookie. From Bed, Bath, and Beyond, I bought 100 cookie cutters (don't ask what I'll do with them all) and because ONE of them was bone-shaped (I couldn't find just a bone-shaped cookie cutter, or a cake pan, which I really wanted) and I used them to cut shapes out of the cake. I frosted with a bit of whipped white icing (which I actually didn't like at all; tasted gross) and then amateurishly decorated the bone shape to show her name. A heart shaped piece held the 1 candle and a "happy birthday" sign.

From the dollar store, I bought a pink and white flower lai and a birthday hat (which she hated).

Yes, I am officially nuts.

So, here's pictures!

I can't believe my girl is 1 year old. I remember the day I saw her back in June last year when she was so teeny! Her ear canals weren't even open yet and her ears were so tiny and cute; perfect little triangles. Now she's 70 pounds of bouncing, hyperactive OMGTEENAGEHEADSTRONGI'MPULLINGMYHAIROUT looooove.

Yes, I am a dork.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #2  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

You are not a dork! Nilla Bean is a beauty and very lucky to have such a loving owner!

I love her birthday attire, cake and presents. Time does fly with a wonderful pet and I wish you both many more happy years together!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

She is adorable. You are lucky!
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Awww, what a gorgeous face. Sounds like you had a nice celebration.
Happy Birthday Nilla Bean!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Happy birthday miss Nilla Bean! She's so beautiful!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

This makes me so happy!!! When my puppy turned 1 I did a small party! I had my neighbors from the block all bring their dogs over and I had homemade doggy treats and pictures and a huge games of Fetch and tug-o-war in the yard!
So much fun!! My dogs are very much like my children!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #7  

Happy birthday, Nilla Bean!! I had to check out your post because we have a yellow lab called Nillie Bean.

Your Nilla is just beautiful!
atagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #8  
Vegan for the animals.

Not a dork. I too used to take my cats birthday off from work. She died in January of old age.

If anyone ever puts you down for loving your pet so much, ignore them. All pets should be so loved. And she is so pretty.
VegDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #9  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

OMG, I love t! Such a pretty doggie...I miss mine and so want another
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote