Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #1  
Brooklyn Princess

S/C/G: 246/242/127

Height: 5'4

Default My depression and anxiety weight gain

I was clinically diagnosed with dysthymia when I was 18 and it grew into a full blow manic depression. How did I deal with the sadness? With food. The weight gain just made everything worse. When I was younger I was athletic and beautiful. I played softball and I was a ballerina. People would fawn over me and spoil me and I loved it. Then my mother pulled me out of my sports and nothing has been the same ever since. She says it was because I just didn't want to do it anymore but I don't believe it. To this day I don't know what happened but that's the way it is. I began to feel sad all the time and began to eat to feel better. I love food. If I'm bored, I eat, I'm sad, hey food will fill that hole. After I spoke to a therapist I was put on Zoloft which didn't help the sadness but it seemed to curb the hunger and I was losing weight. But the sadness was still there. I was depressed because I was fat and I was depressed because I was depressed. It's a never ending cycle. I can't even look in a mirror because I'm so unhappy with the way I look. My favorite thing to do is make a giant sundae and lay in bed and watch movies. Even though I'm struggling to make changes in the back of my mind that sadness is nagging at me to eat. Its hard but I can see the link. It's a vicious cycle.
Tinasan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

It IS a vicious cycle. Depressed, eat, overweight, depressed about being overweight, eat, depressed. I'm all too familiar with that.

But, reading through your post it got me to thinking... you liked certain activities when you were younger.

Why not pick them up again? Or try a new activity? Something you can ease into and get to enjoy?

In most people activity can actually help to increase the release of positive chemicals in their brains. Not that some people don't actually need medications, just that movement may help in its own way.

I still remember the phrase HALT! To deal with emotional eating.

Are you Hungry (true hunger)? Or are you Angry/Lonely/Tired?
If you aren't Hungry - find an ALTernative.
HALT!

I know it's silly, but I still use it to think before I go for the fridge. I don't just stick to angry/lonely/tired, either, but rather "Am I eating for emotional reasons? Yes? Find an alternative."

Making small changes and building up habits really has helped with my mood in general. Making time for movement especially.

One step at a time.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

Hello, so sad you are feeling like this.

Have you tried going on to some meds? or talked to a councilor?

Not much more i can really say love we have all felt like that, its just a case of finding your own way honey.
My way is pills I feel so much better now the pills have kicked in, it takes time but things will chance

good luck darling and come and talk on here when your feeling down the girls are very helpful

Take care xxx
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #4  
Debbie

S/C/G: 317/see ticker/185

Height: 5 10

Awe hon, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I two have struggle with depression most of my life. I can say that small improvements toward your healthier you can give you a more positive outlook. Something like, this week I'll drink 60 oz of water everyday. Then move forward from there. Finding something that brings you joy - be it gardening, painting, making jewelry any thing that interest you can help also.
SeeImTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #5  
Love me.

S/C/G: 207/T/135

Height: 5'10"

Personally, I know that I feel depressed if I'm bored, have no goals, not busy, and have nothing to do. Like the other ladies said, find a new hobby. Its easier said than done, but each day, learn to live more in the present. Then, maybe, one day, you can start planning goals for yourself in the future.
AshleyLaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #6  
Brooklyn Princess

S/C/G: 246/242/127

Height: 5'4

Thanks for the support ladies!

I've been off and on meds for a long time. I recently decided to just literally focus on losing my weight. It's over 100+ I need to lose, so I decided a life style change is necessary for me to begin to find happiness. Hopefully it will change my sleeping patterns and give me energy boosts in order for me to accomplish the goals I want to accomplish. I've spoken to therapists and they've given me pill after pill. I just need to focus on me and completely do a 180 so my depression doesn't take the forefront in my life anymore.
Tinasan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

You mentioned you loved sports as a young person. Probably the best thing you can do is get in some physical activity. Could you start easy with short walks?
patns is offline   Reply With Quote