Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Default C25K: I'm doing it, who else?

So, I know there was a very active C25K thread a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

I just started the C25K today. Day 1, Week 1. I thought I was going to die. I am already wondering if I will have to repeat Week 1, but I made it. I made every run all the way through. I did have to pause my podcast, part way through one of the 'recovery' periods because I needed longer to catch my breath, BUT I completed it.

I hadn't anticipated trying to run until I was around 210lbs, but I have always been my own best motivator. As soon as I tried to convince myself that I COULDN'T do it yet, the drive to try became stronger. So I thought I would give it a try and see how things go.

Who else is doing the C25K? Where are you in the program? Did you happen to feel like the whole thing was impossible when you started?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

I`m doing a modified c25k, but being on IP i`ve kind of slacked off. I`m going to start again around the 5 week mark of IP. I had made it thru week one of c25k, and it was very difficult - at times I thought i was going to puke... but the exhilaration of doing it kept me going and wanting to do more. Every day I was challenging myself to go a little farther and push to the limit - I can`t wait to start again!
You can do it - don`t let your mind talk you out of it - it`s amazing what the human body is capable of!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

I started C25K at the end of January, and YES I thought it was impossible, but today, just four months later, I ran 5.29 miles. Originally, I said I was going to get through the program, run in a 5K race, never a step further, then hang up my running shoes after putting a check mark on the bucket list. Turns out, I love it.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I keep on meaning to do c25k, so I think this thread is great! I just did my workout for the day, not c25k, and the weather doesn't look so great outside, so I'll start it tomorrow, even if it's on the elliptical at home.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

Height: 5' 8"

I have also started a running program the beginning of March. I had been doing the eliptical since about Jan so I had a head start, not that it helped any. Jogging/running is a different animal. I started with walk/jog intervals until I could run 1/4 miles straight (3min), then 1/2 mile (6 min), 3/4 mile (9 min) and finally the mile on April 26 (yes I recorded the date, lol). Now I ran my first 2 mile run this past Monday, but very slowly. I would like to train well enough to do a 5k this fall with a time under 40 minutes. We'll see. I don't love running, in fact, I am not sure I even like it, but it makes me feel strong and proud to know that I can run 2 miles. Good luck and don't think you HAVE to do it within 9 weeks. Some of us are taking our sweet time

Last edited by NTexas; 05-27-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #6  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I did c25k a few years ago. I didn't know if I could it, as I am not a runner at ALL. I pushed myself hard and made it through! I ran a 5K a few times and was so proud of myself. I would love to do it again some day!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Height: 5'4"

I've researched it online and love the idea. I already do interval walking/running in my workouts, but I can't seem to push myself into longer run intervals. I think I am going to start this program in a couple of weeks after I return from my vacation! I can't wait to hear everyone's stories!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

I started earlier this year and then somehow my whole plan in keeping on sort of fizzled out. I took it from the beginning today- Week 1, Day 1, and.. goodness, it got me equally as bad as the first Week 1 Day 1 did earlier this year!

I feel like it shouldn't kick me in the behind as much as it does since I am in a normal weight range and I can walk with my dogs for hours but it's all the more reason why I want to get through it.

I am honestly already planning on repeating Week 1 before going to Week 2, though.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horo View Post
I started earlier this year and then somehow my whole plan in keeping on sort of fizzled out. I took it from the beginning today- Week 1, Day 1, and.. goodness, it got me equally as bad as the first Week 1 Day 1 did earlier this year!

I feel like it shouldn't kick me in the behind as much as it does since I am in a normal weight range and I can walk with my dogs for hours but it's all the more reason why I want to get through it.

I am honestly already planning on repeating Week 1 before going to Week 2, though.
That's how I feel, but I am hoping that by Day 3 I won't feel as though I need to redo Week 1....if so, then I'll redo it, but I hope I don't have to! LOL
Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #10  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I love it!!! I just finished week 3 last night. It is tough but not impossible. I have the iPhone app which I find totally motivating. I should also mention that I am doing it at home on the treadmill for now.
I didn't rest on my rest days now but repeat week 1 or 2 days between my week 3 days. It is kind of addictive.
I am always scared I can't do the next week but somehow it works just fine! We will see if that is true for week 4 on Sunday. 5 minutes running sounds impossible now but who knows?!
Old 05-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
I love it!!! I just finished week 3 last night. It is tough but not impossible. I have the iPhone app which I find totally motivating. I should also mention that I am doing it at home on the treadmill for now.
I didn't rest on my rest days now but repeat week 1 or 2 days between my week 3 days. It is kind of addictive.
I am always scared I can't do the next week but somehow it works just fine! We will see if that is true for week 4 on Sunday. 5 minutes running sounds impossible now but who knows?!
FIVE MINUTES??? Carp!!! I'm at 1 minute and I start thinking "ummm hurry up...a minute must be over by now...." LMAO
Old 05-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #12  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

C25K is great!

It's the program that got me running way back almost 100 lbs. ago and now I'm soon to be training to run a full marathon. Distance running is about 99% mental. Much, much more than physical. For me, it's all about constantly talking to myself and saying things that will push me to keep going. I remember watching the Biggest Loser and one of the trainers saying "are you bleeding?" "have you passed out?" "are you puking?".....NO....So KEEP going. May not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Best wishes to all of you with C25K. I am so glad that I was told about the program.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 250/242/150

I'm doing it! But I'm finding it hard to know how fast I should be doing it. The treadmills at the gym seem to go at different speeds! On one of them 4kph is an amble, while on the other it's a run. Still, I'm in the second Week One, which is to say I did the first week at a run of 7, and the second at a run of 8. I'm wondering whether to progress to Week Two, or try an incline or speed 9 for another Week One.

I'm really pleased that even in this short time, I can feel the difference! It's - well, it's not easy now, but the first time I thought I'd fall over. I haven't run in years.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #14  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmin2043 View Post
C25K is great!

It's the program that got me running way back almost 100 lbs. ago and now I'm soon to be training to run a full marathon. Distance running is about 99% mental. Much, much more than physical. For me, it's all about constantly talking to myself and saying things that will push me to keep going. I remember watching the Biggest Loser and one of the trainers saying "are you bleeding?" "have you passed out?" "are you puking?".....NO....So KEEP going. May not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Best wishes to all of you with C25K. I am so glad that I was told about the program.
That sounds promising. I am not into races (crowds freak me out) but i would love to get into a routine and run an hour everyday. Indoors or outdoors.
I am not sure if i would do it until i puke or bleed. So far i wasnt even close. One thing i heard recently on a Canadian weight loss show (x-weighted) was an amazing tip: "concentrate on breathing, your body can run on its own!"
It totally works or me. Concentrating on steady slow breathing makes me relax and time goes by faster. I try not to look at the time for as long as i can. And then -most of the time- i am totally surprised how long i am running already.
I am not running very fast but try to increase the speed on my "rest" days when i do week 1 or 2. Speed is not important for me right now though. I want to be able to run for 30 min. straight first and then i can always work on the speed. However, i am already oggling the "bridge to 10k" iphone app. Well, a little early I know but I am so excited aboutthis program.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
I am not sure if i would do it until i puke or bleed. So far i wasnt even close. One thing i heard recently on a Canadian weight loss show (x-weighted) was an amazing tip: "concentrate on breathing, your body can run on its own!"
It totally works or me. Concentrating on steady slow breathing makes me relax and time goes by faster.

This is actually my problem...while my legs are a bit sore and tired, it's the breathing that is hard for me. That's why I had to have a longer "rest" between running minutes, because I was STILL trying to catch my breath. I didn't need to stop running early, but I needed a little more recovery time. Even in my fit teen days, I had a hard time catching my breath. I hope I can figure out how to get past that.

Last edited by OhMyDogs; 05-28-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Closed Thread