Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Tried Konnyaku noodles?

Supposedly almost no calories, no carbs, (actually no nothing), no taste so it picks up the flavor of whatever you put it in. Sounds too good to be true!

Have any of you tried it - was it good? (i.e. some sort of pasta/grain satisfaction).

I am of Indian origin so I love the cauliflower rice alternative and would LOVE something to replace pasta or noodles (miss my asian soba salad).

Would love to get some recipes.
Perpetualdiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #2  

I have not heard of it, but this sounds interesting...i am going to look it up and ask my coach about it...
Maria
MARIAV75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetualdiet View Post
Supposedly almost no calories, no carbs, (actually no nothing), no taste so it picks up the flavor of whatever you put it in. Sounds too good to be true!

Have any of you tried it - was it good? (i.e. some sort of pasta/grain satisfaction).

I am of Indian origin so I love the cauliflower rice alternative and would LOVE something to replace pasta or noodles (miss my asian soba salad).

Would love to get some recipes.

It sounds similar to Shirataki or "the miracle noodle". I had tried those with a homemade tomato sauce and to be honest, I could still smell the strange fishy juice the noodles come in. They are a pretty firm noodle as well, which threw me off a little. I would say that if you were to make them with a very strong sauce, they would do very well.
Newpair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #4  

Oh, I've bought those miracle noodles! They are great, BUT you HAVE to rinse them first- boy, do they STINK! They do have a fishy odor, but try rinsing them well... they are so firm, they won't break...
I put them in a strainer and let water run over them....
You can add them to homemade chicken soup, it's pretty good!
M
MARIAV75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #5  

Will buy them this weekend. I did a bunch of reading about how to remove hte smell (blanch them after rinsing, allowing to dry after that, simmering in the flavoured sauce). I will let you know!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/189/145

Height: 5'2"

I like the Shiratake Noodles - they really help with hunger when I add to chicken broth and a splash of soy. I made the cauliflower rice recipe last week and loved it - even had plenty left over for lunches. Check the recipes thread - that's where I found it!
katiebeth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #7  

Katiebeth - how do you get rid of the smell??
Old 05-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/189/145

Height: 5'2"

Rinse, rinse, rinse them! I didn't notice the smell once I got them in the chicken stock and added the spices.
katiebeth7 is offline   Reply With Quote