South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question South beach vs Dukan diet..Thoughts? Help?

Okay, so ive been on the south beach plan before..and successfully lost 20 pounds within a month and a bit the first time around..However, one binge and i was gone. It was evident that my motivation and timin g wasnt working out..Well..now its time to try again..Im starting a new job which is good for getting me out of the house..im getting married!!! yay!! Next May which means i have a year to get fit lose weight and look gorgeous in a lovely wedding gown..So thats my motivation for losing weight..However..upon deciding to do south beach again..(which im used to) I came across the Dukan Diet...and so i read the book and it begins with a 5 to 10 days pure protein time frame..aka..No beans, no nuts,no seeds, no veggies...nada..nothing.. Its just lean meat and non fat dairy for 10 days..and then you can add in veggies but depending on how much weight you have to lose depends on how long it will be till you can add in fruit and bread again..because i have so much to lose..it says it will take a year of staying on veggies and protein only before being able to add in fruit and bread....So ive been stressing for a few reasons about trying out the dukan diet..because 1) ive never done it before... 2)you cant have desserts like you can on south beach.. 3)you cant even have salsa!! I dont know why im stressing so bad thinking about it..is it possible that its my gut instinct telling me that its not a good diet to go on?? or south beach is better??
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: maintaining

I saw a Dr. Oz segment on it and there were three doctors rating the plan and it did not get high marks. Some were quite low in fact. South Beach seems to get a lot of doctor approval. But maybe I'm biased.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

I'm with Karen. South Beach works if you stick with it. The Dukan diet is much stricter; if it's hard to stick with SB what makes you think Dukan would be easier to stick with? Plus it is NOT healthy. Any diet that excludes veggies, which are high in fiber and vitamins with virtually no fat, is bad news.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I couldn't stick with Dukan, so I wouldn't even consider it.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

A perspective: I did the "old" Atkins plan many years ago, which also advocated eating only protein and cheese for 10 days to start. Yes I did lose 10 lbs. but gained it all back the minute I added 1 carb serving per day. It's all water weight loss so therefore not real. I also had terrible breath and felt like sh**t. It's worth it to find a workable, livable plan.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #6  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

What attracts you to the Dukan diet? Just take those elements and incorporate them moderately into SB. A few days here and there of a "Dukan detox" might have some benefits. Always listen to your gut feelings, I think.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #7  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Yah..well my gut is in knots thinking about it..so im thinking that its probably not the diet for me.Im going to go back to south beach..and give it another go..I guess the whole dukan diet promised "fast" weight loss..and who doesnt want that right? But it looks like its going to be extremely tough nd who would cut out veggies??I figure if i can lose 2 pounds every week for the next 50 weeks..then i could lose the amount of weight i want to by the time my wedding comes. Slow and steady.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote