Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 AM   #1  

Default How on earth do you loose fat on the inner part of your thighs??... help!

I have had the hardest time loosing my inner thigh fat. I HATE seeing that fat in the upper part of my legs I would appreciate any suggestions at all!! I try doing leg lifts but I can't see any difference. I would like to tone my legs and get rid of all of the excess fat. Please help!

Last edited by shrinkingflower; 05-26-2011 at 02:49 AM.
shrinkingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:16 AM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Aside from cutting it off with a knife, there's no way to specifically spot train. Even runway models have inner thigh fat - it's a stubborn place. What does help is walking/running on hilly terrain/steep inclines, and lots of stair climbing type activity also helps.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #3  

There's no way to target fat loss. In other words, you cannot do anything to lose fat on a particular body part.

This is a photo of the elite (translation, professional) women running the Boston Marathon a few years ago. (Number 5, Rita Jeptoo, won it that year.) Note the inner thighs on every one of these women.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Echoing what others have said- you cannot spot reduce. However, as you lose weight, you will likely see parts like the inner thigh shrink to some degree. (Notice the qualifiers of "likely" and "to some degree"! As krampus and Maria said, it's often just part of a woman's body we have to grow to love, or at least tolerate).

Toning can help shape it up a bit, but avoid the adductor machines at the gym, the ones where you squeeze weights together between your knees. (Check out this sticky for more: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...exercises.html). Better are squats, lunges, and other exercises that work the whole lower body in an ergonomic way.

Last edited by indiblue; 05-26-2011 at 04:08 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 AM   #5  

Thanks for the replies!! I don't want to bulk my legs up... just tone. I used to have cut quad muscles... no more (as you can see in the pic, there is no tone anymore!) I will keep walking and try some squats etc. Thanks!

I wish that top inner part would just disappear!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legs.jpg (31.5 KB, 101 views)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Perhaps it's just the shape of the female thigh? The woman MariaMaria posted (elite marathon runners) all have one thing in common...the same biological design.

That said...running and doing heavy weight leg work helps to reshape your thighs quite nicely!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingflower View Post
Thanks for the replies!! I don't want to bulk my legs up... just tone. I used to have cut quad muscles... no more (as you can see in the pic, there is no tone anymore!) I will keep walking and try some squats etc. Thanks!

I really don't see anything except normal human anatomy. What is your height and weight? Is it possible that you've just lost muscle mass in an attempt to lose weight, when really the solution was to build muscle? I honestly feel like I'm looking at a photo of someone who is underweight.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #8  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

Default sculting body parts

I've been using the HIIT method on the adductor/abductor machine. Work at 80% max til failure (50 - 75 reps for me) catch your breath then 25- 30 reps at same weight, then pump the hardest part - about 1/2 to 2/3 into a rep and stay there pulsing til failure. This method has really helped to scuplt my thighs!

I also use HIIT on the treadmill, eliptical, 30 min cardio section - no matter where I get my cardio it's HIIT. Then to the weights for the same HIIT style workout as described above. These workouts are intense, so listen to your body and if you need to take a day off do so! Switch up the machines to keep every muscle in training.

30 min of "fat-burning" level cardio, then 3 sets of 8 - 12 reps - rest between, on the same old machines just weren't getting me thin. HIIT is doing so!
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
I really don't see anything except normal human anatomy. What is your height and weight? Is it possible that you've just lost muscle mass in an attempt to lose weight, when really the solution was to build muscle? I honestly feel like I'm looking at a photo of someone who is underweight.
those legs look normal - not too thin and shapely.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #10  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

...lose weight all over; not just one specific area

...squats & lunges, squats & lunges, squats & lunges

...have access to a gym? use the adductor machine
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingflower View Post

Bulking vs toning is a misconception perpetuated by fitness industry greed.

To "tone" means to build muscle. Bulking up means you haven't lost the fat on top of the muscle. You look pretty lean so you don't have to worry about looking bulky.

You say you want to get rid of the fat on your inner thigh and you've been having the hardest time doing so. It sounds like you want to build muscle, and you want to build muscle fast.

You're gonna have to hit the heavy weights to get what you want. At least 3times a week, do 3-5 sets of a weight that you can lift no more than 15 of, for starters. Then after a few weeks, up the weight to a weight that you can't lift more than 10 reps. Exercises include squats, lunges (in 4 directions), leg machines for quads and hamstrings, inner and outer leg lifts laying down with a resistance band, and calf raises. Make sure to recover 48 hours before lifting again.

Doing less weight will simply take a longer amount of time to see results. When you see the results you've been looking for, maintain your look by cutting down to lifting 1-2 times a week.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
...lose weight all over; not just one specific area

...squats & lunges, squats & lunges, squats & lunges

...have access to a gym? use the adductor machine
Eek no no don't use the adductor machine!! See my earlier post! There's lots of evidence that the abductor and adductor are worthless and poor biomechanical exercises.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
Eek no no don't use the adductor machine!! See my earlier post! There's lots of evidence that the abductor and adductor are worthless and poor biomechanical exercises.
what evidence?
the inner thigh is just another muscle in the body - all muscles need to be worked for overall body toning.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #14  

Thanks everyone! I guess my best option is to add more weights in

Last edited by shrinkingflower; 05-26-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
what evidence?
the inner thigh is just another muscle in the body - all muscles need to be worked for overall body toning.
Isolated training and machines generally do less good than bodyweight bearing exercises or those involving straight free weights and resistance bands. I'd suggest jogging over to the exercise section of this site, as I know there have been great threads about this in the past.

Exercises that involve multiple muscle groups (lunges, squats, generally lifting and moving heavy stuff) are the most effective for shaping and strengthening the body. May I recommend you check out this blog, if you have not already?

Http://www.stumptuous.com

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 05-26-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote