PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #1  

Default started taking cinnamon and chromium

I just bought the combo pills at Walmart for $8.00 and thought I would give them a try. I've never officially been diagnosed with PCOS. Some of you may remember a while back where I mentioned that a GYN I had seen who had covered for my regular GYN had mentioned I could possibly have it and that I would need to follow up with my regular GYN about it. Well, I think he was in drug rehab or something (was never quite sure about that) and was out a long time so I never went back. I saw a new family doc last month and I'm just gonna see her for everything, general medical care and everything. I mentioned PCOS to her and she said I had many of the symptoms. She said first line of treatment is birth control pills NO THANKS! She said we can do more testing when I see her again in three months and depending on my blood sugar we may can try metformin. My main problem at the time was the migraine headaches so I was needing treatment for that first.

Meanwhile, I decided I would just try some cinnamon and chromium and I found these combo pills at Walmart. I can't believe how they suppress my appetite!!!! I want nothing sweet at all! I'm not even thinking about food. I just started them yesterday. I wonder how long this will last. Is this normal? I sure hope it lasts lol

Last edited by Violet73; 04-26-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #2  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

its pretty normal chromium is an appetite suppressant. It is most commonly referred to as a "legal steroid" because it boosts your metabolism so much.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSDREAMER2007 View Post
its pretty normal chromium is an appetite suppressant. It is most commonly referred to as a "legal steroid" because it boosts your metabolism so much.
I tried just plain chromium a while back but it didn't have this effect on me. Maybe the combination is really giving the boost! And when I took steroids for my rheumatoid arthritis it made me want to eat everything in sight and did not boost my metabolism at all. That's the weight I'm trying to get off now (sigh).

Last edited by Violet73; 04-27-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6''

I swear by that combo! It has allowed me to start losing weight...I wasn't losing a pound before I started taking them. Plus, it has really helped with my sugar craving/food cravings. I've been taking them daily for almost a couple months now.
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSDREAMER2007 View Post
Never heard of this!!!

Do you have sources I can read about this??
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I just found this -- first hit on google:

Chromium is a common ingredient in weight loss supplements. Chromium picolinate is the most common form in weight loss supplements. The trace element, chromium, has been given credit for fat burning and even offered as an alternative to steroid use to body builders. Unfortunately, most of these claims are not true. Chromium can does aid in the production of the vital complex, glucose tolerance factor (GTF). The organic complex, GTF, interacts with insulin to regulate the uptake of glucose by cells. If an individual is chromium deficient, the production of Glucose Tolerance Fact would be reduced the uptake of glucose by cells would not be efficient. This is a common symptom of type-2 diabetes patients. Chromium can aid in lowering blood sugar levels by aiding in the production of GTF.

Last edited by Rana; 04-28-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyford View Post
I swear by that combo! It has allowed me to start losing weight...I wasn't losing a pound before I started taking them. Plus, it has really helped with my sugar craving/food cravings. I've been taking them daily for almost a couple months now.
wow that's awesome!!! How much weight have you lost since taking it? I am noticing a huge difference in my appetite. I can tell immediately after taking it that I am not wanting anything sweet. I'm also feeling an energy boost and for me, that is really great as I'm usually sluggish. I'm glad it's working for you
Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

That's really interesting! That may be next on my grocery list as well. My appetite and cravings is better since I'm on Metformin but I still feel a bit sluggish and would love an energy boost. Do you take it in the mornings only or several times a day?
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet73 View Post
wow that's awesome!!! How much weight have you lost since taking it? I am noticing a huge difference in my appetite. I can tell immediately after taking it that I am not wanting anything sweet. I'm also feeling an energy boost and for me, that is really great as I'm usually sluggish. I'm glad it's working for you
I've lost 9 lbs in just about two months, but after my last TOM I had a 4 lb woosh so I'm actually looking forward to it this month to see if the same will happen again! I take them after breakfast or lunch...which ever one I anticipate being more "carb" heavy. And by that I mean which one is going to have the slice of bread. I also exercise about 5 hours a week in the gym in addition to a couple pilates classes and numerous hikes with my dog. I gave a solid effort before starting the supplements. I think about 3 months of exercise and on plan eating. I didn't lose a single pound. I was so frustrated. I actually had a little thread on here about the first month or so on them, called, "natrual supplements" I'll try to find it and *bump* it back up so you can take a look and see my experience.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebritbrat17 View Post
That's really interesting! That may be next on my grocery list as well. My appetite and cravings is better since I'm on Metformin but I still feel a bit sluggish and would love an energy boost. Do you take it in the mornings only or several times a day?
The bottle says two capsules one or two times daily and I take it twice daily. You take it with food and I've been taking it with breakfast and lunch and I'll be honest with you, I haven't been eating at night. I haven't wanted to and that is VERY unusual for me!!!!! This stuff is working for me Also, I'm the type that has to drink coffee during the day just to keep going. I have a desk job and it's boring. Since taking starting this, this week, I'm more alert and don't need the coffee. I find myself just wanting water but not like having a dry mouth needing water. It's like a diet pill without the bad side effects

You just can't take this if you are pregnant or nursing. I don't know if it interferes with other medications or not, best to check with your doc..
Old 04-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyford View Post
I've lost 9 lbs in just about two months, but after my last TOM I had a 4 lb woosh so I'm actually looking forward to it this month to see if the same will happen again! I take them after breakfast or lunch...which ever one I anticipate being more "carb" heavy. And by that I mean which one is going to have the slice of bread. I also exercise about 5 hours a week in the gym in addition to a couple pilates classes and numerous hikes with my dog. I gave a solid effort before starting the supplements. I think about 3 months of exercise and on plan eating. I didn't lose a single pound. I was so frustrated. I actually had a little thread on here about the first month or so on them, called, "natrual supplements" I'll try to find it and *bump* it back up so you can take a look and see my experience.
wow that's awesome! you have done great! I'll read that thread! thanks a bunch!!!! So far so good! It's good to know that this keeps working. I just started it this week and it has been great so far.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #12  

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but a few years back I tried the metformin. It made me sick. I was literally throwing up several times a day. That stuff is pure evil to my body. That's why I researched for a more "natural" plan. Also, thought I'd pass along. My doctor told me that people with IR/PCOS benefit more than your average person from strength training/pilates. She said cardio is good, and necessary, but strength training is GREAT. And, I agree. It's been really amazing to watch my body get stronger. And, even though it's still covered in fat, I can feel muscle growth in my arms and thighs.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #13  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I have PCOS and I have taken cinnamon on and off for a couple years. I do believe it helps. I've never seen a chromium/cinnamon combo pill...gonna look when I go shopping since I'm about out of mine anyway.
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady1978 View Post
I have PCOS and I have taken cinnamon on and off for a couple years. I do believe it helps. I've never seen a chromium/cinnamon combo pill...gonna look when I go shopping since I'm about out of mine anyway.
Let us know how it works for you
Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #15  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Rana - its in my health textbook for class, I also found info on it when I searched chromium and PCOS , i forget the sites it was on my other computer and a while ago.

lucy - its evil to my body too.

I don't take the combo pill, I take my chromium and cinnamon in separate pills, but I do take them together I found that for me anyway I had better results this way. You just have to be careful on the dosage of chromium because just like vitamin D it is toxic to your body in large quantities. I recommend adding a vitamin D supplement to your vitamins, My doc had me on 2000 iu daily but i dont think that much is needed.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote