Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default Frustrated with running

About 2 months ago I got the crazy idea to start jogging. At first I limped along for a minute than walked for several, rinse & repeat until I got myself up to a 5mph non-stop mile about 3 weeks ago. I can not seem to budge from that point. I find running extremely uncomfortable with all the huffing and puffing. I got a heart rate monitor and it climbs to 150s (about 80%) so my heart isn't the problem. My legs don't cramp or anything like that. I'm in good shape I think with a resting heart rate of 58. I just don't like running, lol.
Like today, I ran at a gym with an indoor track thinking I need to get off the treadmill - I called it quits at 3/4 mile with other runners blasting past me. But then I hopped on the eliptical and hit 3 miles within 30 minutes no problem. Yeah, my heart rate got to 160 and I was dripping sweat but I wasn't miserable and I wasn't huffing and puffing like an asthmatic.
What gives? Should I give up torturing myself to run a 5K and be content with other exercise? Is there something I can do to make running more pleasant?

Last edited by NTexas; 05-20-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: I mean 5 MILES per hour not 5 minutes - wow, I am not THAT good, lol
NTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Shoes play a huge factor in running IMO. If you are experiencing pain or anything I'd invest in good running shoes.

I also think running is something that takes time to build up to until you really start liking it.

Do you listen to music while you run? I find that helps me sooooo much!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Slow down to a pace that you enjoy for some of the runs. I sometimes run with a running store club--they are fast and challenge me--and then I go out on my own (much slower runs). Are you training for something that you need to meet a goal for?

Last edited by tea2; 05-20-2011 at 12:32 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I also experience this on the treadmill. I like the elliptical because I can burn more calories.
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Some people are runners. Some are not. I fit into the latter category.
Don't torture yourself. Find something you like and stick with that.
Sounds like you had a better time on the elliptical.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
Some people are runners. Some are not. I fit into the latter category.
Don't torture yourself. Find something you like and stick with that.
Sounds like you had a better time on the elliptical.
LOL - I think you are right! I guess I need to give myself permission that running just isn't my thing, though I have this association with a "fit" person being able to run. The military, atheletes, police, etc all have running requirements and I can't help but think I lacking in some way because I can't/won't run. I might continue with running the occassionaly mile just to get that hard-earned fitness level maintained. I don't like not finishing my goals though.

To answer other questions - yes I have running shoes and my feet don't hurt. It's not that I am in pain, per se, just uncomfortable, mostly with my breathing. I hate hearing my panting and it is a sheer act of will to keep going. It doesn't seem like it should be as hard as it is.
As far as a goal, I am leaving for my Aunt's house on the shore next month for week and my gym doesn't have a location near there so I thought running in the mornings would be a brilliant way to keep up my exercise. It's not working, lol. I guess I'll pack up my step & risers and do that instead

Last edited by NTexas; 05-20-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Four years ago, I was exactly at your spot: I weighed ~165 and was a complete couch potato (not that you are/were, but I had come from a history of zero exercise). I huffed and puffed when I tried to run. My face turned such a god-awful shade of red that I used to wear a lighter shade of foundation while I exercised so as to compensate. As I ran, the metallic taste of blood entered my mouth. My lungs ached. My legs felt like lead. I didn't know how my amrs could propel me forward. I was out. of. shape.
I kept at it, determined to be a runner. I just had this feeling that I had been blessed with a gorgeous athletic body, I reasoned, but it was covered up by a thin layer of fat! Fast-forward four years: I run 15 miles per week and barely even break a sweat. I look as if I've been at it my entire life.
Do not give up. The cardio-pulmonary benefits of such intense exercise are amazing. You'll be able to climb flights of stairs faster than your colleagues looking like a superwoman.
Good luck!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #8  

Thanks for the reply. But I argue that I am in good shape. I exercise 6-8 hours a week (45-60 min cardio plus 30 minutes daily walking the dog 2 miles in 30 min) covering 6-7 miles a day/ 6 days a week. (walk/jog, elliptical, step areobics where 2000 = 1 mile, etc and not counting day-to-day walking). My resting heartrate is 58! I don't consider myself working hard enough unless my heartrate is 140 or better (unless I am doing HIIT training which 1-2x a week). So that is my frustration with running atm, that I can leave an hour long circuit training class with energy, but can't run more than 1 mile at a time.

Last edited by NTexas; 05-20-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/136/133

Height: 5'-5"

Slow down! The slower you ran, the longer you can go. You should not be running at a speed that leaves you sucking air after a minute.
Trail Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #10  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

I agree--slow down. Also, have you tried running outside? You couldn't pay me to run on a treadmill or even an indoor track.

Even if you're in good shape, running can be a challenge if you're not conditioned for it. It's a whole different animal. If you're running a 5-min mile and you've only been running for 2 months, no wonder you're miserable!

Even if you try those things, however, you still might not enjoy running. But I think they're worth pursuing before you hang it up.
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

You know, you don't have to run to be fit. You also don't have to be fit to run, and that's what makes me think you're going about it a little too fast. I am 241 pounds, and I can run 3.5 miles so far. BUT, I am very slow, and barely get it at 14 minutes a mile. I don't care that I am slow. And when I first started, I swear I thought it would take the jaws of life to keep me at it. I couldn't run for thirty seconds, though now my 3.5 mile takes me 51 minutes of solid jogging (I still say I am a runner). To run, you don't have to go at the fastest you have. I have always heard that just get the distance down now (very slowly, mind you), and the speed will come when you're more used to it. I am just now able to push myself past a slow steady jog, and I've been at this 2+ months. Oh, and I hate running on the treadmill. I go up and down hills and it really breaks up the monotony. I also don't feel like you should be huffing and puffing like you are at your physical level. I know I am way beneath you in that regard (and to add to it, I smoke-I know, I am trying to quit). You don't have to run, but maybe you should change your approach to it if you would like to continue without it being miserable every time.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluCypressLily View Post
I agree--slow down. Also, have you tried running outside? You couldn't pay me to run on a treadmill or even an indoor track.

Even if you're in good shape, running can be a challenge if you're not conditioned for it. It's a whole different animal. If you're running a 5-min mile and you've only been running for 2 months, no wonder you're miserable!

Even if you try those things, however, you still might not enjoy running. But I think they're worth pursuing before you hang it up.
OP, here. Thanks for catching my mistake. I run at 5 MILES per hour pace for 1 mile straight. [I originally had minutes - woops] Therefore I already run as slow as molasis, lol. I can walk 4mph quite comfortably and 5 can't be much faster.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

I hear you! I can easily do an hour on the elliptical (8.0 speed, with the resistance turned up), I spend 8-10 hours a week doing martial arts, I play soccer, which is 90 minutes of running back and fourth... but there is something about running that is just hard even when you're at an otherwise decent fitness level.

But, it does get easier! It took me forever to reach the mile mark, and I'm at about the same pace as you (5.0 mph/12 min mile). It used to feel like torture, and the first time I made it to a mile, I seriously thought I was going to collapse and die. Now I'm considering training for a half marathon! It's still not easy, but I'm up to about 3 miles. The first mile still feels like torture, but once I get past that wall, I generally feel okay for the second (the third is another story...).

If running is something you want to do, keep at it. It will get better! If it's not, there's nothing wrong with that! The best exercise is something you enjoy
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

Also, one thing I found was that I was holding my breath! I started counting my breaths (I do 2 in, 3 out, counted on my foot strikes), and it helped tremendously. Now I can maintain a natural breathing pattern without counting, but it took awhile to figure out how to breathe properly.
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas View Post
OP, here. Thanks for catching my mistake. I run at 5 MILES per hour pace for 1 mile straight. [I originally had minutes - woops] Therefore I already run as slow as molasis, lol. I can walk 4mph quite comfortably and 5 can't be much faster.
Hee hee I run at 3.5. So if you are molasses, I must be tar or something
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote