Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Default Committing to ONE WEEK on plan.

OK, so I typed this out, and it dissapeared. I probably hit a wrong button, but if another thread like this, by me, suddenly shows up, now you'll know why.

I have seen other threads like this, committing for a certain amount of time. For a year, for 6 months, for 1 month. For me, it's hard to commit for 1 full month, and if I do, and don't follow through, I don't feel like I need to be accountable to myself.

I am having a rough morning, just a bunch of little things. My husband slept in and saddled me with a bunch of extra work that he should have done last night, one of the dogs has taken to spontaneously barking at 5-5:30 every morning, which then wakes up the puppy, who starts whining, I am exhausted, my scale is being stupid (or maybe it's my weight being stupid), and this morning, I am just sick to death of ALL of this.

SO...I am committing myself for ONE WEEK on plan. I can manage 1 week, even in my current state of "who gives a carp". I can persevere through 1 week, and while I am sure things will seem a lot better in 1 week, even if they don't, well it was just a week (at which point, I will recommit for 1 more week...and so on).

Anyone else up for a short term commitment?
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/210/130

Height: 5'5

I am definitely with you on commiting to one solid week of sticking to plan. I usually last a few days before I give up. So like you I want to hold myself accountable of sticking to plan for one full week. Today is day 2 for me.
lasttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #3  

I have been on plan well for several days, but I am starting fresh from today because today is the day I feel like giving up.

This is a technique that is used sometimes when quitting smoking. The time frame, for quitting smoking is a lot shorter, often people say "I am going to ignore this craving for 10 minutes, if I still feel I NEED a smoke in 10 minutes, then I will re-evaluate my quitting", typically the craving passes, and people realize they CAN quit. I didn't so much need to use this method when I quit smoking, but I am trying to apply it now, because this weight loss "adventure" seems very tedious and monotonous right now, and I am tired and don't feel like doing it. I will...I will push on for 1 week. In 1 week, I more than likely won't feel so tired and overwhelmed, and things will be good.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #4  
made my dad a promise

S/C/G: 302/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I'm on board to do one week too. No small deviations. No excuses. Today is day 3. Mon-sun ave daily cal under 1800. No single day over 2000 cal. At least 1500 cal burned with exercise (500 cal done so far).
ilbnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Yes, yes, yes!!! I am so with you on this, OhMyDogs. I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

I have been feeling this way for the last month and have written then aborted the starter thread several times. I thought there was something wrong with me that I couldn't get it together enough to do ONE week. Last week was my first week totally on plan and guess what? I lost 2.5#!! DUH!!

I am doing another week and so far I have two days on plan. It allows me to just focus on the small picture, if you know what I mean.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #6  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

What a great idea! Breaking our sometimes long and painful "adventure" into smaller chunks can make a HUGE difference!

OhMyDogs -- I have never really given an honest effort to lose weight before. That was tough to admit. I'd gone on quick diets but last less than one month and really only bounced around about 10 lbs. In my mind, those were never a true effort to begin with.

Seeing how far you've come...losing 30lbs...losing 10% of your body weight. Well, I just hope that I have the strength and sticktoitiveness to get there myself. I know most people already know the benefits of losing 10% of your body weight but maybe it's time to remind yourself of all that you've already accomplished? Maybe it's tough to keep going because you've forgotten the MAJOR succes you've had already? Maybe focusing on all that you've done will get you motivated to do more?

Just a reminder (in case you need reminding): http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...=41231&sc=3002
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #7  
made my dad a promise

Jami - love the link.

I can do you one better. I have never even tried to lose weight before or even given much thought to what I eat. Totally ridiculous that I got to 300 pound a before admitting to myself I needed to change. Thats just how stubborn I am. But I'm hoping that same stubbornness will be to my advantage. I am not going to stop doing this until I'm done. Good weeks, bad weeks. I truly don't see failure as an option. (yet)
Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #8  

I have never ever tried to lose weight before either. Not got a month, not for a week...never. I had also never tried to quit smoking before I did in September. I'm pretty darn stubborn when I want to be, or when I set my mind to something.

I haven't looked at the link yet. I know I have done alright, I am just soooo over counting every little thing that goes into my mouth. For the most part it doesn't bother me, it's just a habit, but today it's a monumental task. Mostly I am having a pity party. I will stay on track, but I am gonna say "woe is me" the whole way (well, for today).
Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #9  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

Hey there everyone - I'm on board with you too! I can "do" one week; it's too overwhelming to look at the long term I'm finding. So count me in! I'll report back next Wed. I have to ask - there is such a place as Apple Cookie ? I love the name! TTYL
Laffalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Hahaha. No there is no "Apple Cookie". My very hard of hearing elderly aunt just could grasp that I was living in Albuquerque. I thought it was cute.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #11  
Now Loading Healthy ME

S/C/G: 265/262/187

Height: 5'7"

WooHoo!!! I like this week at a time thing, so this is day one, you should make this a regular thing...a week is waaaay better than months OP, lol
Fit4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 300//180

Height: 5' 10"

I am a newbie on day 2 of the weeklong challenge. I did great yesterday, but I was HUNGRY by 4:30, HUNGRY after dinner while grocery shopping. I bought a Larabar at the grocery store, and that took the edge off. Blueberries for an evening snack, then early to bed. I was definitely food obsessed. I will do a better job of having an afternoon snack/spreading calories out through the day. On the plus side, when was the last time I have really felt hungry? If I can reacquaint myself with hunger, maybe I can find the correct level of satisfied too.
DaDirtyBlond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #13  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDirtyBlond View Post
On the plus side, when was the last time I have really felt hungry? If I can reacquaint myself with hunger, maybe I can find the correct level of satisfied too.
LOVE what you said here! I think this has been one of the unexpected surprises since I started. I actually feel hungry. My stomach growls now...audibly...so others can hear it. It cracks me up and I love it! I LOVE what it signifies. I eat all day to fule the fire but every now and again I'll get stuck in a meeting and sure enough...if it's "feed me" time...my tummy lets me know! My friend asked if I was embarrassed...and I said "**** no! It makes me happy!"
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #14  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

JamiSue, i completley understand where you're coming from, i used to worry that i would never know what hunger was and be able to ride it out because i just used to eat and eat past the point of feeling sick but now i LOVE that i get hungry and i love that i can feel the food satisfying that hunger immediately!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #15  
made my dad a promise

DDB - In my first couple weeks at this, I had actual hunger pains - especially as bed time neared. I also, had not felt real hunger in quite some time. I don't get hunger feelings so often now. I think my stomach has shrunk a bit and I'm guessing my blood sugar is evening out. Also, part of it is mental, I no longer expect to eat later in the evening or between meals. Most of the time I'm fine, but I still struggle with unplanned eating after dinner. I usually want to do it if I have plenty of calories for the day and I'm bored. But not because of true hunger. And if I've had a hard workout that day and am having real hunger, I try to grab a handful of cashews, rather than something carby or sweet.

Last edited by ilbnej; 05-19-2011 at 07:20 PM.