Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #1  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Pizza, or how to deal with a difficult situation

Well, I know it's my own fault. Y'all don't have to tell me that. I had an unplanned "accident" yesterday. It was my son's class end-of-the-year party. I woke up too late, so I was getting everyone else ready to go. They were each going to separate places. They each needed swim party supplies and changes of clothes. The younger one needed a lunch packed. They also had to eat breakfast. In all the madness, I didn't have time to make myself something to eat. So, I grabbed my coffee and headed out.

My oldest son's awards ceremony was first thing. I thought I might have time to go by my house in between the ceremony and the party, but that was not to be. 2 of the parents didn't know how to get to the party location. I did. So I ended up being the leader of the pack to the party.

Well, when we got there it was about 10:30 am. I was crazy starving by that point, and they had pizza, so I ate it. Ugh!

If if was just a "cheat," I could handle it, but since I have insulin resistance, it's just a nightmare for me to eat something high carb. I get a raging headache and I want to fall asleep. It felt like I'd been drugged. I don't know what my blood sugar was, but I'm sure it was up there.

What do you do in these situations? I know I should have planned better. I know that! But what do you do when you end up there after you have not planned?
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I would have just eaten the topping which would have kept your BGL in check.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #3  
War Eagle!

LOL Yeah, I thought about that Ruth, but it was Papa John's pizza, and I'm a real sucker for Papa John's. I guess that would have been the right thing to do, though. They had a real carb fest going on. Chips, fruit, cookies, brownies, cheese curls, and pizza. Not a vegetable in sight. Of course, this party was mostly for the kiddos, too, and not the adults.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I can relate to this bigtime! It used to be that if I skipped breakfast I would be starving by 10:30 and typcially that meant making a dash to the Del Taco close to my work for a giant breakfast burrito which probably rings in around 1,000 calories dispite me knowing it was "bad' for me. What is very interesting is that people who are accustomed to eating breakfast will literally have their brains "reward zones" push them to eat things even though they know they shouldn't.

A team from Imperial College London studied 20 non-obese people who were asked to skip breakfast before they underwent a functional MRI exam. The researchers found that the reward centers in the subjects’ brains lit up more vividly, or became more active, when they were shown photos of a high-calorie food, such as pizza, cake, and chocolate food, as opposed to a low-calorie choice. However, when the participants ate breakfast and had the same test, the brain’s reward center did not show greater activity when shown the high-calorie photos.

I don't have this problem anymore since I haven't eaten breakfast for over a year and normall don't eat until 2:00 PM. I practice intermitten fasting and love it.

Anways - I have two suggestions.

First, consider trying intermittent fasting out. It may not be for you but it sure has simplified my lives and thousands of others. There are a couple big threads around here you can check out if you want.

Second, buy some protein bars so if you find yourself unable to eat a proper breakfast you can grab one for the road and avoid having your brain light up light a Christmas tree at the first sign of something unhealthy.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Second, buy some protein bars so if you find yourself unable to eat a proper breakfast you can grab one for the road and avoid having your brain light up light a Christmas tree at the first sign of something unhealthy.
Great idea! I bring MIX 1 a protein shake with me to work and I carry unsalted almonds with me. I am considering a cooler for the car because I am often running around town. This summer will be challenging with my girls in 2 sports.
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I just eat the top and let them think I am a picky eater.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #7  
War Eagle!

Thanks for the great suggestions! I had just eaten my last Larabar the day before the party. I need to go get some more. I know they are high carb, but they don't seem to affect me as negatively as some things.

Hmmm, JohnP, I will have to look up intermittent fasting. I just never really considered doing that for myself. I've heard of it from Mark Sisson's site, though. I think that study is absolutely right! I was so hungry and there was pizza right there! I am proud to say I did not eat any of the other junk, though. Sweets just don't do it for me anymore. I'm off sugar and artificial sweeteners, and anything with sugar tastes awful to me now.

celrea, I had some almonds in the car, but I guess I must have taken them out, because I couldn't find them. I think one of my kids must have found them and ate them. I will have to get some more.

Bargoo, I've become the ultimate "picky eater" now. It makes me feel badly sometimes because I was raised to not complain about food when it was graciously provided for me. My dad used to get really angry with us for not liking what he fixed for dinner. I guess I have a complex now. LOL
Old 05-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

I keep an "emergency kit" in my glove compartment consisting of a package of vacuum packed tuna, a packet of Italian salad dressing, and a plastic fork. They are small enough to slip into my purse and I can take it inside my destination, slip into the bathroom, rip off the top of the container, dribble in a little of the dressing, and scarf it down. Gives me enough protein to keep my blood sugar steady and stave off the shakes. If I'm lucky I can find some vegies or some fruit to make it a little more well-rounded but if not, I can survive a couple hours.

I can understand your kids devouring your can of almonds but I doubt they'll be real tempted by plain tuna ...
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Height: 5'9

Thanks for the tuna idea. I just ate a can this afternoon for a quick meal, never thought of keeping it in the car.
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #10  
War Eagle!

Hmm. Good idea, ladynred! I'll have to get some tuna next time I go to the store.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I also keep a small can of tuna in the car. I also always, always have an atkins, slim fast or some relatively low carb bar in my purse. I never let myself be without one.

Pizza is my binge food but I do better if I just eat the top.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #12  

i keep a small pouch of peanuts in my purse. i hate peanuts so its been there 2 weeks but i know if i freak out i can have them and it makes me feel " safe". pretty silly considering my life is not as hectic as yours but the feeling of safety feels good and "in control".
chickyboo is offline   Reply With Quote